• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Smilies, Emojis & Emoticons: Issues

If feasible, should the previous FTMB emoticon set be carried over into the new installation?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I LIKE emojiis. They can save half a page of text.

What I don't like is the video clips that open and play automatically. I still don't dare open one of the threads on here because a man immediately starts gabbling away in Spanish about cars and it makes the dog (and me) jump so hard that I haven't found the button to make him stop yet.

I remember the days before we had chat.
It's always been here. Then a lot of people moaned about it and we took it away (or at least hid it unless you were logged on) and then even more people moaned about it so we fully reinstated it. "But it's not Fortean!" NO! That's the whole bloody point of it. Its whole intention is to keep the non-Fortean stuff from polluting the actual Fortean forums, in the manner of Alan Coren's praise of Sainsburys (it keeps the riff-raff out of Waitrose.)
Cull the emojis.
Ahead of you there. I intend to do some swatting this weekend.

By all means post on here saying which you want saved. I'll pay absolutely no attention whatsoever, mind.

Some don't seem to work.

Also, memes, (which some of our posters think are hilarious), are also very tired, but hey you listen to the music of your youth/discovered the ability to add text to a picture following your retirement which was funny about 10 years ago.

Cull the emojis.

@Tigerhawk 's pictures make me laugh, and I could do with a laugh these days. But I could live without seeing the "It's aliens" guy ever again.

I never use the emojis, but I have never sent a text, so they're alien to me. (Cue the "It's aliens" guy)

As I understand it, emoticons are not emoji.

Emoticons are made up of entirely of typographic symbols, and smilies are the ones with smiles - although "smilies" can also mean all emoticons. Emoji are the little pictures that originally expressed emoticon images more graphically, but now include flags, hand gestures, and poo.

Emoticons are made up of entirely of typographic symbols, and smilies are the ones with smiles - although "smilies" can also mean all emoticons. Emoji are the little pictures that originally expressed emoticon images more graphically, but now include flags, hand gestures, and poo.

Nobody likes an emoji-smart arse. (searches for appropriate emojis....)

Although, to be honest, my emotional state these days is often best represented with flags, hand gestures and poo.

I have disposed of about half of them, and resized one or two others. There were lots of near-duplicates and others that nobody ever used. They should load a lot quicker now, too.

@Tigerhawk 's pictures make me laugh, and I could do with a laugh these days. But I could live without seeing the "It's aliens" guy ever again.

I never use the emojis, but I have never sent a text, so they're alien to me. (Cue the "It's aliens" guy)
Thank you...

images-59.jpeg

There are some that you've left that nobody uses, ever.
These ones:
:sshot::loveu::smghost::hyper::hapdan::conf2::ranting::bored::drown::kiss::meh::yuck:

Last edited by a moderator:
There are some that you've left that nobody uses, ever.
These ones:
:sshot::loveu::smghost::hyper::hapdan::conf2::ranting::bored::drown::kiss::meh::yuck:
It's a slippery slope

First they took away the 'pirates', but I said nothing because I didn't use 'pirates'...

You got rid of the alien and Cthulhu.

The blasphemer shall meet a suitable fate :sneaky2::reyes: (do we need both of these?)

edited to add: I love this one :conf2: as it's how I feel when reading some of the more in depth posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I note that the following are still not loading properly for me. The same list that has not been loading for me (and others) for quite some time:
headbang
clap
omg
thought
doh
dunno
evillaugh
roll
bs
Or, if you can see them::headbang::clap::omg::thought::doh::dunno::evillaugh::roll::bs: .
I continue to maintain this is not (only) a timeout issue, as these immediately refuse to load, while others take their time as usual. As I said in the general technical problems thread, it's not the end of the world. But there's something else at work here, and the mystery is why it affects some of us, but not all of us.

Chas"BrokenRecord"Fink

I note that the following are still not loading properly for me. The same list that has not been loading for me (and others) for quite some time:
headbang
clap
omg
thought
doh
dunno
evillaugh
roll
bs
Or, if you can see them::headbang::clap::omg::thought::doh::dunno::evillaugh::roll::bs: .
I continue to maintain this is not (only) a timeout issue, as these immediately refuse to load, while others take their time as usual. As I said in the general technical problems thread, it's not the end of the world. But there's something else at work here, and the mystery is why it affects some of us, but not all of us.

Chas"BrokenRecord"Fink
Same here

Back