• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Smilies, Emojis & Emoticons: Issues

If feasible, should the previous FTMB emoticon set be carried over into the new installation?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A

Anonymous

I remember someone wanting more smilies not so long ago, i think it was a hug smilie someone said was needed. you can get free smilies here!

http://mysmilies.com

we so need more smilies, as it'd be like this :p

i've also got a massive collection of obscure ones, normal smilies holding out banners such as WTF? and OMG!

if a mod wants, i could rustle up a web page along the lines of

<text> = <smilie> <description>

I like the Violent Smilies on mysmilies, especially the one in the microwave:D

Here's what i've done so far - any comments/suggestions/improvements, or are there any smilies that anyone really wants put on? :)

:wtf: do you think any of them will make it to the board mate?

hopefully all of them :gr8:

[edit]

^^ ooh :moon:

Don't forget that more, bigger, and more active smilies will slow down the loading of a page.

It's difficult enough to keep up with this board as things are!

Have you seen Goldsteins soapbox smily......very nice:D

The average size of those smilies is 1.5k and as they're cached the first time you view one, I really don't think it'd slow down the pages - as it stands there's also an automatic smilie limit on VBB's too :)

:yeay:

Thanks Schnor and Alistair - more smilies to play with make Carole a very happy bunny!

:kiss: :kiss: Mwah! Mwah! to both of you!

Carole

I've wanted --> :chuffed: for ages :blissed:

Aaaargh! So many to choose from. :err:

They're all great. Well done. :likee:

See Below...

Schnor::yeay:

Alstair: :kissers:

EVERYBODY: :grouphug:

Alistair said:
they're up!:gaga:

thanks Schnor!

Alistair

Alistair! You're back (well, doh!) When did you get back? Did you have a good time? How come I miss all the announcements/good times/bad times/ even though I seem to spend half my life here :headbutt:

Is that an appropriate smilie (I like it)?

:confused: (old fav)

Jane.

There probably isn't the need for more smilies but I love this lil fella (p.s. yes yes yes, reviving dead threads is TEH_LOSE but I'm bored at my brothers house - sue me :p)

From WWWords newsletter:

SMILE, PLEASE Wednesday 19 September was the 25th anniversary of
the invention of the smiley character in online communications,
also known as the emoticon. The :) symbol, necessarily created
from standard keyboard characters, was invented on 19 September
1982 by Scott E Fahlman in a post on a bulletin board at Carnegie
Mellon University. It formed part of a thread on the way humorous
remarks could be tagged to avoid misunderstandings. His message was
brief, though a tad ungrammatical: "I propose that the following
character sequence for joke markers: :) Read it sideways." Scott
Fahlman is these days the Research Professor of Computer Science at
Carnegie Mellon University.

Ironically, the MB now translates the colon, hyphen, close brackets characters in the above
as :D !!

Is there any chance the previous emoticons will be reloaded into the new (Xenforo) installation along with their original tags (colon-delimited designations)?

Unless they're 'restored', the original (and cryptic ...) text tags alone will be all that appear within 'legacy' postings.

Just wondering ...

I'm generating a poll on this - not because I think it's a big deal, but to test the new installation's poll feature.

A few new ones could also be added as part of this process... I guess people with any useful smilies could post them here?
Then the mods could pick the best ones.

There will be more smilies, poss not til new year though (priorities are: content, users, functionality, format, then things like sigs, avatars, smilies etc.)

There will be more smilies, poss not til new year though (priorities are: content, users, functionality, format, then things like sigs, avatars, smilies etc.)

:)

I'm sure we all have tons of emoticons in storage that we could dig out.

Edited to add

Gee, that little red "Alert" signal in the upper right corner is scary, usually "Alert" means something terrible has happened.

Can't find my bellydancing snail so I've gone with a shot of my old specs.

Back