• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Smurl Poltergeist

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Anyone got more information on this?

Smurl Poltergeist

For 13 years (1974 -1987) on Chase Street in West Pittson, Pennsylvania, an ordinary family encountered something they couldn't explain, and couldn't free themselves of. Their story became famous when the media became involved, and their ordeal was told in a book and a movie, each titled "The Haunted." The families' name was Smurl.

It began when Jack and Janet Smurl moved from Wilkes-Barre Pennsylvania to escape the flooding damage left behind from hurricane Agnes in 1972. In 1973, they moved into a duplex Jack's parents had purchased, sharing the house with them. Jack and Janet and their two daughters, Dawn and Heather lived in one half, and Jack's parents lived in the other. The house had been built in 1896, and was on a quiet street in a middle class, ordinary neighborhood.

The living arrangement was a happy one. Jack and Janet had been raised in Catholic homes, and they and Jack's parents were strong in their religious faith. They were (and are) a close loving family who enjoyed sharing the house. They did some remodeling and redecorating work on the house, settled into it, and Jack and Janet added twin girls Shannon and Carin to the family.

In January 1974, a year and a half after moving in, things began to change...

It started out as minor but puzzling annoyances and incidents. A mysterious stain appeared on a new carpet in the house that apparently could not be removed; deep scratches appeared on new bathroom fixtures in a remodeled bathroom; there were problems with leaking pipes in spite of repeated repairs to them, and a television set suddenly caught fire.

Over time, the incidents became more alarming and frightening. Jack and Janet's daughter Dawn claimed she saw floating people in her bedroom. Drawers began to open and close by themselves, the sounds of footsteps on the stairs, unplugged radios would suddenly begin blasting loudly, and the toilets would flush themselves.

Whatever the cause, the incidents continued to worsen. Horrible stenches would waft throughout the house, and Jack felt something physically touch him several times. The 'poltergeist' was appearing to be more and more demonic as time went on, and by 1977, it was apparent that the Smurls were facing more than unexplained annoyances.

The phenomena wasn't confined to Jack and Janet's side of the duplex; Jack parents, John and Mary were also subjected to frightening events. The house would become icy cold, and they would hear what appeared to be violent verbal fighting on Jack and Janet's side of the home, with abusive, foul language.

Even neighbors were affected by the phenomena plaguing the Smurl family. Screams and loud noises were heard coming from the house, even when no one was home. Not all the neighbors were sympathetic, however. Some claimed the Smurls' story to be false, accusing them of trying to make money through book and movie deals about their 'haunted' house after the media became involved.

Someone called Janet's name to her when she was in her basement tending to her laundry - she replied at first, and tried to find who was calling her, in the end realizing that she had been alone in the house. As if this were a catalyst, the force invading the Smurl house grew bolder and stronger shortly afterwards. A black human shaped form manifested in Janet's kitchen, moving through the wall and into John and Mary's side of the duplex, where Mary also witnessed the phenomena.

Physical violence towards the family began and escalated. Even the pet German Shepherd was tormented, picked up and thrown repeatedly. Shannon was thrown down a flight of stairs, and a ceiling fan crashed down inches from her, barely missing hitting and injuring her. Janet was levitated and thrown, and there was continuous rapping and scratching heard within the walls.

Ed and Lorraine Warren were contacted by Janet in 1986 for help. The Warrens are well known psychical researchers and demonologists, who have also investigated the Amityville house in Long Island. Janet had heard about them, and in desperation asked them for help in spite of her skepticism. The Warren's interviewed the family and investigated the house. Their conclusion: of the 4 entities in the home, one was demonic. Efforts to force the demon to expose itself failed, instead resulting in additional violence from the entity. The only thing that seemed to provide a cessation of the activity were Holy Water and prayer.

The attacks upon the beleaguered family continued, growing worse in violence and intent. Jack and Janet suffered sexual attacks; and their daughter Dawn was nearly raped by the entity. Mysterious illnesses afflicted Carin Smurl and Ed Warren; Janet and Mary Smurl suffered bites and slashes on their arms.

When the Smurls' attempts to involve the Roman Catholic Church for help failed, the Warrens brought in Father McKenna to perform an exorcism, but this only angered the demonic entity. McKenna performed a second exorcism, which also failed.

Attempts to get away from the entity were also unsuccessful. The family was followed on a camping trip; and Jack was even tormented at work. In desperation, the family decided to turn to the media for help. The resulting press coverage opened the floodgates, and the Smurls' home became a tourist attraction, press magnet, and forum for skeptics. After repeated refusals by the Church to become involved, the media coverage finally motivated the Scranton diocese to offer an investigation into the Smurls' case.

A third exorcism performed by Father McKenna brought an end to the activity. In December 1986, however, after only 3 months of freedom from the torture, Jack saw the dark form beckoning to him. Once again the phenomena began. The Smurls moved out of their house and to another town, and the book was published shortly afterwards.

In 1988, three years before the Movie about the Smurls' ordeal was released, (1991) the Church performed a fourth exorcism, and at last the tortured family found a measure of peace and freedom from the darkness that had threatened and attacked them for so long...]

http://www.guardiantales.freewebspace.com/C-Smurl.html

They link to a source for this:

http://www.maxpages.com/mapit/THE_SMURL_POLTERGEIST_CASE

but be warned they aren't joking about the popups ;)

Emps

I have the book, "The Haunting" I think it's called. Impossible to guess how much of it is true (probably none) but it's entertaining nevertheless.

the Haunting

The Haunting is a hilarious book. Obviously, I don't buy it. But I find it very entertaining. Just the other night, I saw the movie! I'd never known it existed 'til it came on TV. The movie is just plain horrible. Really bad acting. Which still makes it kinda funny though.

Anyway, back to the book: nothing beats the passages about the succubus! Great stuff. Oh, those wacky Warrens!

But surely we've all woken to find ourselves doing "the bad thing" with a beautiful woman who we can tell is eeeevil because she is bright green and scaly with funny eyes?

yeah the hag succubus is particularly hilarious, and the golden-cloaked see-through figure. The thing that really got me was the headless puppy, though, oh and of course the centaur creature. Again this smacks of a writer thinking "hmm poltergeists aren't scary enough let's have the family menaced by an ANTHROPOMORPHIC HORSE DEMON - wooooh!"

Not making any of this up - it's all in there. The book is so badly written it's hilarious. My favourite bit is when they're setting the scene with the family and going on about non-iron shirts that need to be given an iron anyway! Sheesh.

succubilingual

wolfie said:
But surely we've all woken to find ourselves doing "the bad thing" with a beautiful woman who we can tell is eeeevil because she is bright green and scaly with funny eyes?
Well, no, but I have fallen asleep that way.

I'd forgotten some of those things. I really wish I could get a copy of this book but I think it's out of print. I checked it out from the library years ago. It really is hilarious. I'm into that.

Smurl berry cobbler

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention my theory that it was probably Gargamel behind the whole thing--He's been after those Smurls for years!

I have a copy at home and keep meaning to dig it out for the edification of the MB but have a tiny brain and am very forgetful. I'll try and bring it into work next week.

Right then. The book is called "The Haunting" and written by Robert Curran - it's published by Futura, risibly categorised as "non-fiction", and the ISBN number is 0-7088-4221-6. The strapline reads: "THIS IS A TRUE STORY. And it is shocking, terrifying and unforgettable." Shyeah right.

The scene is set by the author, who introduces the characters of Jack and Janet Smurl by describing in detail what they like for dinner and how they feed their kids. "One thing about the Smurls, [Janet] thought to herself; you didn't have to worry about the fancy dishes. The Smurl family liked a meal made up of the basics - meat, potatoes, vegetables. Such food not only tasted good, it was also the easiest way for Janet to make sure that her family got essential vitamins and nutrients." Well, thanks for that. Janet apparently also wonders "if it was illegal to sniff the big red plastic bottle of Era Plus, her laundry detergent of choice and one that she found pleasant to smell". Between this and her fondness for non-iron shirts, we really get to grips with what makes this character tick.

Hubby, apparently, just looks like Charles Bronson and has "big fists". There is a preoccupation with food - every exorcism by the Warrens (who are truly unforgettable) starts with a description with what they had for breakfast, with Janet's deteriorating mental state manifesting itself in the fact that she can't muster up anything more exciting than sausage and pancakes. Anyway, the kids are sporty, the house lovely, and the parents who live in the annexe devoted Christians not prone to flights of fancy.

Manifestation of the spirit starts to occur in a fairly standard fashion; stains on the carpets, names being called, paintwork being ruined, a smaller child witnessing apparitions. Then things take a turn for the weird when sightings of a black shape which emits and evil presence appears in the house, and a headless puppy scampers across the carpet and disappears under the love-seat. At this point Ed and Lorraine are called in - following the family's failure to find advice in the parapsychology departments of local university, goddamn those fusty pencilnecked professors! - and decide that the place is the stomping-ground of a demon which - surprise surprise - then starts to appear with increasing regularity to the Smurls, although usually individually. Jack is attacked by a succubus in bed, breaking his paralysis to discover that he is covered in a sticky white substance (!). His sleeping wife doesn't notice. They see big horsey and piggish demons, the women are attacked in the shower, foul smells appear and each of the members of the family are attacked by invisible entities. Eventually they all go on TV to talk about it and, following about fifteen exorcisms, the spirit almost goes away. The problem is finally remedied several years later when the family move out of the house *slaps forehead in desperation*.

This book proudly states that one of the main characters - "apprentice demonologist" David Wilson - is completely made up. It is remarkably heavy-handed on the religion side of things and does none of the characters featured any favours. It appears to have been written by whoever put Our Tune together for Radio 1 back in the day - the narrative is shockingly bad and extremely bizarre, and the chapter headings are hilarious ("Lorraine Shares Some Disturbing Facts" being my particular favourite). It is a shameless cash-in on the Amityville Horror and I urge you all to read it, if only to have a good laugh. It takes about three hours to finish. You can get it on Amazon for about a fiver.

Matt

"We've got to leave the warren, Hazel"

wolfie said:
You can get it on Amazon for about a fiver.
Well, you're lucky then. 'Cause here in America it's unavailable, even through Amazon.

That was a great review, though, and I also urge everyone to read it.

I'm so sorry, I read the subject as "Smurf poltergeist" & was waiting for terrifying stories of genitalia free hauntings by the wee blue fella's. Mind you, turns out that the actual thread is even more hilarious!

wolfie said:

why just last night...

More fun with the Warrens

Oh man, I just struck gold. I got a copy of an old book ('80s or thereabouts) about Ed & Lorraine, called Ghost Hunters. Man, is it entertainment and a half. I'll have to find some good quotes and share them. It's all about their adventures with ghosts, demons, and even Bigfoot! (That one's a real kicker!)

Well, this certainly does sound like Haunted House Bingo, doesn't it. Everything from furnishing damage, to hybrid demonic animals, to ghostly sexual attacks...

I came across this thread whilst searching into Ed and Lorraine Warren, in relation to their all-but-nonexistent yet-made-into-a-movie connection to the Enfield Poltergeist.

What gets me here is the very specific identifying of 4 separate entities plaguing the property. Why four? And how exactly are they identifying that? :rolleyes:

There just sounds like too much unverified nonsense here to see any proof of a genuine case here.

Indeed the lift a rock and find a demon Warrens.

Not even a scary old house in this one, this was a recently built duplex that for some reason becomes the epicentre of a full on demonic manifestation.

The Warren's suggested reason for this, 'The Smurls are both pious and good people'. So there you have it folks, live an impious and slatternly life and you'll not be visited by demons in your duplex.

Indeed the lift a rock and find a demon Warrens.

Not even a scary old house in this one, this was a recently built duplex that for some reason becomes the epicentre of a full on demonic manifestation.

The Warren's suggested reason for this, 'The Smurls are both pious and good people'. So there you have it folks, live an impious and slatternly life and you'll not be visited by demons in your duplex.

Clearly! The more heathen, the better off you are...

Being a rational guy, I'm having difficulty understanding why an entity in another dimension should care about prayers and holy water being thrown in this dimension. Perhaps you need to be catholic to understand that rationale.

I'm all for the possibility that there might be another dimension where entities exist and sometimes becomes noticeable in this dimension, otherwise I wouldn't call myself a fortean. I'm looking through all those illegally uploaded ghost hunter shows on Youtube to understand the phenomenon.

Being a rational guy, I'm having difficulty understanding why an entity in another dimension should care about prayers and holy water being thrown in this dimension. Perhaps you need to be catholic to understand that rationale. ...

I don't think the rationale is peculiar to Catholics.

My quick-take explanation would be that any true believer in a cosmically-totalizing narrative (religious or not) would be biased toward describing and framing the unknown in terms of his / her operant worldview. It doesn't matter whether you're hand-waving in terms of demons / jinn / fairies or quantum effects / dark matter or energy - you're still hand-waving within the framework in which you are most personally invested and conversant.

Being a rational guy, I'm having difficulty understanding why an entity in another dimension should care about prayers and holy water being thrown in this dimension. Perhaps you need to be catholic to understand that rationale.

I'm all for the possibility that there might be another dimension where entities exist and sometimes becomes noticeable in this dimension, otherwise I wouldn't call myself a fortean. I'm looking through all those illegally uploaded ghost hunter shows on Youtube to understand the phenomenon.
The entities are all atheists.
They're irritated by mumbo-jumbo.

Wasn't this the one where they hired in the writer whose name I should, but never can, remember, who told everyone it was all bollocks but was under contract to the Warrens to publish their version? Or is this another of the people they helped?

Wasn't this the one where they hired in the writer whose name I should, but never can, remember, who told everyone it was all bollocks but was under contract to the Warrens to publish their version? Or is this another of the people they helped?
No, that was Ray Garton on the Haunting in Connecticut story.

Love the derision loaded into this post, rover. :)

Back