• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Snails

Do you all know the difference between a slug trail and a snail trail?
The slug trail is a solid long line of silver slime.
The snail trail is a series of blobs -like a row of dots - where the snail has had to 'hump' its body slightly to shift its shell.
(All information gleaned from a David Bellamy TV programme many years ago :))

DinoTracksAndSnailTrail.JPG

These are some nearby dinosaur tracks. What's of interest to this thread, though, is the line that travels down diagonally from the the top left corner of the photo - the paleontologists believe this is a snail trail. Would love to have seen the size of that snail! :)

Medieval manuscripts had lots of snail drawings in them for some reason.

This was more like the image above. People riding snails, knights fighting snails, etc.

Medieval manuscripts had lots of snail drawings in them for some reason.
Probably drawn by bored young kids or apprentices who thought things were dragging along rather slowly.

TV Today:

Escape to the Country

Summary
Alistair Appleton helps a house hunting couple find a country home with a budget of £700k in Buckinghamshire, and later he visits a farm that produces high-end snail caviar. :eek:

Today 3:55pm - 4:40pm BBC One

I think this is my absolute favorite thread so far. So many amusing remarks about slime trails, and so many great illustrations. In all sincerity, the pleasure I got from reading this thread has lifted my spirits.

Speaking of shells, here's a dystopian morsel for you :

Brilliant animation, but it may prove disturbing to anyone with strong feelings against eating snails, or cannibalism.

Speaking of shells, here's a dystopian morsel for you :

Brilliant animation, but it may prove disturbing to anyone with strong feelings against eating snails, or cannibalism.
I've just realised that the sound of snail shells clacking together makes me shudder.

It's been warm and haven't seen snails for ages but today there was one on the path at the golf club where we have Probus.
A lady I was walking with picked it up and put it in the garden bed.

Looks surprisingly dry for a snail.

Back