• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Snails

My mother used to keep one of these as a pet, she was quite attached to it. She would sellotape a length of thread to it and let it go and wander in the garden: that way she could always find it again.

I kept 3 African land snails as pets for a few years, they were actually fascinating to watch/observe...BUT my word did they breed!
Have you ever watched the mating ritual of a snail?....errr strange doesn't come into it!!
On a couple of occasions i was greeted by about 300 miniature - perfect replica snails crawling around the tank. I hate to admit this (sorry escargot) but NOBODY wanted them??? so i reluctantly collected them up in a plastic food bag and froze them before depositing them into a local pond for the fish to eat.
If the gentleman off the popular internet selling site who eventually took possesion of the tank and occupants from me is on here, i apologise for hiding the last brood inside the coconut coir used as the substrate - i really couldnt face the murder of the latest 300 eggs.... SORRY :cshock:

I did my thesis on slug behaviour, not snails but both seem susceptible to beer traps. My mate did his thesis on what it was in beer that was so attractive to terrestrial gastropods, but I never got the chance to read it. :(
You two should collaborate!

I wonder what thought has suddenly popped into this rabbit's head:
Snail & rabbit.jpg

I've just thrown half a dozen into the berry patch.
They were crawling on my orchids.

Expanding the definition of 'snail mail':

Pets? I suspect this was going to be someone's dinner!

I well-remember a scene in one of those airport documentaries, where a lady was detained and asked to lift her skirts . . .

She had a lot of land-snails, not-so-well-secreted about her person . . .

She explained that it was a traditional treat, which she was bringing to her relatives, along with herself . . . :dsist:

Maybe it's a Mandala memory that I witnessed the scene in a documentary. All I can find, for now is a news report.

There were fifteen of the blighters! She had them in plastic bags. In my false-memory they were clinging to her legs and things . . .

News Report Here. :thought:

More terrifying than Scargie.

Parts of Florida's Broward County were placed under quarantine after a giant African land snail was spotted in the area, CBS News reported.

Adult snails of this species can grow up to 8 inches (20.3 centimeters) and lay thousands of eggs at a time. Their shells have pointy edges that are sharp enough to puncture the tires of vehicles that run over them. They also pose a serious risk to humans because they carry a parasite that can cause meningitis.

The giant snail is among the most invasive species in the world; it eats plaster, paint, and stucco, and poses significant threats to vegetation, according to CBS.

Florida's Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (FDACS) also said the snails "could be devastating to Florida agriculture and natural areas as they cause extensive damage to tropical and subtropical environments."

The portion of Broward County under quarantine covers Fort Lauderdale and is about 3.5 square miles [9.1 square kilometers], the report said. The quarantine went into effect on Tuesday.

The FDACS said that during the quarantine, it's illegal "to move a giant African land snail or a regulated article, including, but not limited to, plants, plant parts, plants in soil, soil, yard waste, debris, compost or building materials, within, through or from the defined quarantine area without a compliance agreement."

https://www.sciencealert.com/giant-...-in-florida-putting-state-agriculture-at-risk

Using Google lens on the picture, it may be one of the sub-species of Amphidromus perversus of which Wikipedia says "Distribution of Amphidromus perversus include Sumatra and Java to Borneo, Sulawesi and Bali.

Using Google lens on the picture, it may be one of the sub-species of Amphidromus perversus of which Wikipedia says "Distribution of Amphidromus perversus include Sumatra and Java to Borneo, Sulawesi and Bali.

That would fit the bill!

I don't think I've ever used Google Lens.

Love Lorn Lefty.

A rare left-coiling snail is looking for love after being discovered by a shell-searching academic in Nottingham.

The unusual gastropod was found by Prof Angus Davison, from the University of Nottingham, near to his home in the city. The academic is now hoping to find the unnamed animal a mate so he can investigate how the shell occurs.

In 2016, a mate was found for a different "lefty" snail called Jeremy, who was found in Suffolk.

Jeremy eventually managed to find a mate before dying in 2017.
Despite 28 years of working on snails, Prof Davison had not found a left-coiling one himself - until the night before he was set to leave the country to search for them.

The new snail is a grove snail, or cepaea nemoralis - commonly seen in the UK.

The rare snail

Professor Angus Davison found the snail near to his Nottingham home

Prof Davison said: "In 28 years of working on snails, I have never found a left-coiling snail in the UK, so it was amazing to finally find one near my home."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-67261824

Back