Snakes

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Snake owner killed by his pet python
  • 1 hour ago
Image copyrightJUSTGIVING
Image captionDaniel Brandon's social media pages showed him posing with snakes, including a python
A snake owner was killed by his pet python, an inquest has heard.

Daniel Brandon, 31, died from asphyxiation at his home near Basingstoke, Hampshire, on 25 August.

One of the pets he kept at home - a female 8ft (2.4m) African rock python named Tiny - was found near his body, out of its pen.

Coroner Andrew Bradley said there was no doubt Mr Brandon died "as a result of contact with Tiny" and he recorded a verdict of misadventure.

The inquest at North Hampshire Coroner's Court heard Mr Brandon had kept snakes for 16 years and the python was "his baby".

His mother Babs told the hearing he kept 10 snakes and 12 tarantulas in his room at the family home.

She said he had owned Tiny since it was small enough to fit in his hand.

Her son never felt threatened by Tiny and was aware of how strong it was, she said, but there were occasions when it would "strike out" if she entered the room.

She said she discovered Mr Brandon unconscious in his bedroom on the night of his death and later found the snake coiled under a cabinet.

etc
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-42801983

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient
Very sad story but this sounds odd:-

"She was coiling around him, at which point I have no idea. There was a point at which either she takes hold of him unexpectedly or trips him up or some other mechanism."

Did she asphyxiate him or trip him? Strange that they don't seem to know.

Bigphoot2

'Praise the lord and pass the rattlesnakes': the pastor killed by the viper he preached with
Mack Wolford coiled venomous snakes round the arms and necks of his congregation. One, called Old Yeller, killed him. Photographer Lauren Pond relives how she captured the tragedy

Sean O'Hagan

Fri 26 Jan 2018 15.54 GMTLast modified on Fri 26 Jan 2018 16.01 GMT

Pastor Mack Wolford had many ways of getting the faithful all fired up. He would drive from town to town, preaching, singing, speaking in tongues and brandishing – on several occasions – venomous snakes. Wolford, who lived in McDowell County in West Virginia, belonged to the Full Gospel Apostolic House of the Lord Jesus, one of the few remaining small Appalachian Pentecostal sects known as “sign followers”.

They adhere to a literal interpretation of a passage from the Gospel of Mark in the King James Bible. “And these signs,” it says, “shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.”

etc
https://www.theguardian.com/artandd...ren-pond-test-of-faith-old-yeller-rattlesnake

Would have made a good lunch for the kid.

A woman has discovered a highly venomous snake in her child's lunchbox in Australia.

The juvenile snake was spotted in a lid as the woman packed school lunches in Adelaide, according to reptile handler Rolly Burrell.

Mr Burrell said he advised her to close the box and take it outside, after the woman had called him for assistance.

He identified the reptile as an eastern brown, one of the world's most venomous snakes.

"Not really what you expect to see when you check if [your] child ate their fruit," Mr Burrell wrote on Facebook.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-43206613

Bigphoot2

Texas man nearly dies after being bitten by severed snake head

Texas man nearly dies after being bitten by severed snake head
  • 7 June 2018

Image captionRattlesnakes can continue to bite hours after dying
A Texan required 26 doses of anti-venom after he was bitten by the severed head of a rattlesnake he had killed.

Jennifer Sutcliffe told local station KIII-TV that her husband was working in the garden when he saw the four-foot (1.25m) rattlesnake and decapitated it.

When he picked up the snake's remains to dispose of them, the head bit him.

A snake's bite reflex can be triggered up to several hours after it has died. Ms Sutcliffe told KIII-TV her husband immediately began to have seizures.
etc
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44392861

Skrymr

Abominable Snowman
Reptiles because of their metabolism have low blood pressures and low oxygen levels, meaning their nervous tissue is very tough. So a decapitated snake can live for up to an hour after decapitation fully aware of what's happened :(

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Australian beliefs about snakes :- If you kill one, look out for it's mate. Snakes will always bite the last one in a line, dead or alive, they're always poisonous, and, snakes don't die until the sun goes down.

The funniest thing you've ever seen is a mob of 10 year olds tracking through the bush, with NO ONE wanting to be last...it usually wound up a race.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
... Snakes will always bite the last one in a line ...
In the Appalachians the alleged rule is that a snake will always bite the 3rd person in line. The first one wakes it up, the second one pisses it off, and the third one gets the response.

I was once the 3rd in line as the two in front of me stepped onto / over a sizable diamondback rattler. It took a dramatic leap backward to evade the raised head and bared fangs that rose to meet my next step ...

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
In the Appalachians the alleged rule is that a snake will always bite the 3rd person in line. The first one wakes it up, the second one pisses it off, and the third one gets the response.

I was once the 3rd in line as the two in front of me stepped onto / over a sizable diamondback rattler. It took a dramatic leap backward to evade the raised head and bared fangs that rose to meet my next step ...
It's quite amazing what a human body can do without thinking E.G., isn't it. We have a bastard of a snake here, an Eastern Brown who likes to chase...I reckon personally that they hunt as well.

I was swimming in an Irrigation ditch in South Australia at a place called Tailem Bend, when a mate pointed out a 'V" in the water, about 40 feet away.

Within 10 seconds that 'V' was 15 feet away. by that time I was out of the water and climbing the bank. Anyway. He hit the bank and chased me at a fair rate of knots for another 40 feet before stopping and watching me keep going.

Bastard of a snake I reckon.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
It's quite amazing what a human body can do without thinking E.G., isn't it. We have a bastard of a snake here, an Eastern Brown who likes to chase...I reckon personally that they hunt as well.

I was swimming in an Irrigation ditch in South Australia at a place called Tailem Bend, when a mate pointed out a 'V" in the water, about 40 feet away.

Within 10 seconds that 'V' was 15 feet away. by that time I was out of the water and climbing the bank. Anyway. He hit the bank and chased me at a fair rate of knots for another 40 feet before stopping and watching me keep going.

Bastard of a snake I reckon.
Wikipedia says '...it could outpace a person running at full speed...'. Wow.

Kingsize Wombat

Abominable Snowman
Despite Australia's reputation, Sydney's Inner West is not the sort of place where you expect something like this:

Technicians in shock after snake found in Sydney air conditioning unit

A pair of air conditioning technicians have had the shock of their careers after finding a python curled up inside the circuitry of a unit they were disassembling in Sydney's inner-west.

The animal, almost two metres in length, unfortunately didn't survive his adventure inside the air-conditioning unit of the Earlwood home and had likely been electrocuted a few weeks ago, said resident David Marchant.

"The installers were just relieved it wasn’t alive. At first they weren’t 100 per cent sure it was actually dead. I said no, look, nothing alive smells like that."

The technician said in his 18 years of installing air conditioning he’d never seen anything like it, Mr Marchant said. His assistant was lost for words.

"The young offsider was so shocked he could barely speak, he just kept shaking his head."

The family lives in Earlwood in Sydney's inner-west, but their home backs onto bushland around the Cooks River, which is where Mr Marchant thinks the snake must have come from.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...ey-air-conditioning-unit-20180614-p4zlkf.html

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Despite Australia's reputation, Sydney's Inner West is not the sort of place where you expect something like this:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...ey-air-conditioning-unit-20180614-p4zlkf.html
I agree KW. Largely, people who live east of the Hawkesbury/Nepean are pretty much isolated from this sort of thing - unless they've come to the big smoke to work.

My two Daughters have been in Sydney for twenty years or so, and they still shake their heads at some of the antics and ideas that Sydneyites believe and get up to.

Kingsize Wombat

Abominable Snowman
My two Daughters have been in Sydney for twenty years or so, and they still shake their heads at some of the antics and ideas that Sydneyites believe and get up to.
So ah, what's so funny about us? (Apart from not being used to handing snakes)

Makes a change from rescuing cats from trees.

Snakes rescued from Milton Keynes flat fire

Two snakes have been rescued after a fire at a flat in Milton Keynes. Buckinghamshire and MK Fire and Rescue Service said the first-floor of the building in Capron, Beanhill, was severely damaged and the flat below had smoke damage. Crews from Bletchley, Great Holm and Broughton attended. The reptiles were rescued from the ground-floor flat.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-44354167#post_5b2359bcccaaa906711dfe33

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
So ah, what's so funny about us? (Apart from not being used to handing snakes)
They wear Blundstones and don't want to get them clarty. They want produce out of season and then complain about how much we import. They get offended if you stir them about Quinoa.

They've got to have a 4WD, live in St Ives, but won't go bush with it. Have solid fuel heaters, but complain about burn offs - talk about the carbon foot print involved in raising cattle, yet go from air conditioned house to air conditioned car, to air conditioned work, where the lights have been on all night, along with the aircon, plus their computers have been on standby all night.

Complain how the farmer doesn't have a back-up plan for drought but don't realise that farmers can only harvest 1% of the states rainfall due to legislation concerning the local Isohyet and the size of their property and that all water in rivers and creeks is owned by a water authority/Corporation, which is stored in reservoirs for the minor and major cities.

Wadyerreckoneh?

34411586_10214699164265619_5022486493394894848_n.jpg

The local neighbourhood.

Wreckless

Junior Acolyte
Indonesian woman dies after being swallowed whole by a python

An Indonesian mother has died after being swallowed whole by a 23-foot-long python.

The woman, Wa Tiba, 54, went missing while tending to her vegetable garden near her village on Muna Island in Southeast Sulawesi province on Thursday, according to the village chief, Faris.

When her family went to look for her, they found only her belongings in the garden, including her sandals, a machete and a flashlight.

The village subsequently launched a search for her but
were horrified to find the python with a severely bloated belly just 50 yards from the garden.

Faris said the villagers killed the snake and when they cut open its belly, they found the woman's body still intact wearing all her clothes.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/0...es-after-being-swallowed-whole-by-python.html

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Is that water down there, or is it a pool of something that hasn't evaporated yet?

Well spotted - I'd say Myth, that there's a pair of dams on their last legs in the photo. They don't dig them deep - maybe two to three metres deep, but they dig them wide, so unfortunately, evaporation is very efficient.

This area has a transevaporation rate of 1800mm a year - about 74'' a year, that's 6'2'' of guaranteed evaporation per annum and with an average yearly rainfall of 23''...This is the land where cactus's die from a lack of rain

I reckon that to get a crop of wheat consistently from this area takes the planning of a mathematician, the insight of a philosopher, and the determination of Herakles...or, the persistence of a farmer.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Well spotted - I'd say Myth, that there's a pair of dams on their last legs in the photo. They don't dig them deep - maybe two to three metres deep, but they dig them wide, so unfortunately, evaporation is very efficient.

This area has a transevaporation rate of 1800mm a year - about 74'' a year, that's 6'2'' of guaranteed evaporation per annum and with an average yearly rainfall of 23''...This is the land where cactus's die from a lack of rain

I reckon that to get a crop of wheat consistently from this area takes the planning of a mathematician, the insight of a philosopher, and the determination of Herakles...or, the persistence of a farmer.
I don't know how they do it. Hats off to them.

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
I wish I could say any of the above was untrue. But it isn't.

That's a wonderful neighborhood.

Just another envious suburbanite here. But I don't have a 4WD and I laugh at the Qinoa crowd too.
Onya KW...I tell 'em that if quinoa is pronounced keenwah, then cocoa should be pronounced kohkwah.