• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Snakes (General; Miscellaneous)

You know the story - go out with a bunch of friends for a bit of wine tasting on a warm Sunday, neck a few too many glasses over lunch and next thing you remember is you're all alone playing at Houdini atop some stone wall next to the winery restaurant and everyone's got their phones out. We've all been there.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-14/tiger-snake-balancing-act-at-tasmanian-winery/9445744

25659580_1751223171612106_152814650937831025_n.jpg

Would have made a good lunch for the kid.

A woman has discovered a highly venomous snake in her child's lunchbox in Australia.

The juvenile snake was spotted in a lid as the woman packed school lunches in Adelaide, according to reptile handler Rolly Burrell.

Mr Burrell said he advised her to close the box and take it outside, after the woman had called him for assistance.

He identified the reptile as an eastern brown, one of the world's most venomous snakes.

"Not really what you expect to see when you check if [your] child ate their fruit," Mr Burrell wrote on Facebook.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-43206613

'Longest Snake in Captivity Record' in the Guinness Book (2013).

Bob Clark is with Medusa, a 25 ft 2 in long & 350lb reticulated python. It takes 15 people to hold her.

40d0434afaa2f22e61d220a70c33d807.jpg 7c317e899a91b6f2668d88199aa89b3e.jpg

Australian beliefs about snakes :- If you kill one, look out for it's mate. Snakes will always bite the last one in a line, dead or alive, they're always poisonous, and, snakes don't die until the sun goes down.

The funniest thing you've ever seen is a mob of 10 year olds tracking through the bush, with NO ONE wanting to be last...it usually wound up a race.

... Snakes will always bite the last one in a line ...

In the Appalachians the alleged rule is that a snake will always bite the 3rd person in line. The first one wakes it up, the second one pisses it off, and the third one gets the response.

I was once the 3rd in line as the two in front of me stepped onto / over a sizable diamondback rattler. It took a dramatic leap backward to evade the raised head and bared fangs that rose to meet my next step ...

In the Appalachians the alleged rule is that a snake will always bite the 3rd person in line. The first one wakes it up, the second one pisses it off, and the third one gets the response.

I was once the 3rd in line as the two in front of me stepped onto / over a sizable diamondback rattler. It took a dramatic leap backward to evade the raised head and bared fangs that rose to meet my next step ...

It's quite amazing what a human body can do without thinking E.G., isn't it. We have a bastard of a snake here, an Eastern Brown who likes to chase...I reckon personally that they hunt as well.

I was swimming in an Irrigation ditch in South Australia at a place called Tailem Bend, when a mate pointed out a 'V" in the water, about 40 feet away.

Within 10 seconds that 'V' was 15 feet away. by that time I was out of the water and climbing the bank. Anyway. He hit the bank and chased me at a fair rate of knots for another 40 feet before stopping and watching me keep going.

Bastard of a snake I reckon.

It's quite amazing what a human body can do without thinking E.G., isn't it. We have a bastard of a snake here, an Eastern Brown who likes to chase...I reckon personally that they hunt as well.

I was swimming in an Irrigation ditch in South Australia at a place called Tailem Bend, when a mate pointed out a 'V" in the water, about 40 feet away.

Within 10 seconds that 'V' was 15 feet away. by that time I was out of the water and climbing the bank. Anyway. He hit the bank and chased me at a fair rate of knots for another 40 feet before stopping and watching me keep going.

Bastard of a snake I reckon.
Wikipedia says '...it could outpace a person running at full speed...'. Wow.

Despite Australia's reputation, Sydney's Inner West is not the sort of place where you expect something like this:

Technicians in shock after snake found in Sydney air conditioning unit

A pair of air conditioning technicians have had the shock of their careers after finding a python curled up inside the circuitry of a unit they were disassembling in Sydney's inner-west.

The animal, almost two metres in length, unfortunately didn't survive his adventure inside the air-conditioning unit of the Earlwood home and had likely been electrocuted a few weeks ago, said resident David Marchant.

"The installers were just relieved it wasn’t alive. At first they weren’t 100 per cent sure it was actually dead. I said no, look, nothing alive smells like that."

The technician said in his 18 years of installing air conditioning he’d never seen anything like it, Mr Marchant said. His assistant was lost for words.

"The young offsider was so shocked he could barely speak, he just kept shaking his head."

The family lives in Earlwood in Sydney's inner-west, but their home backs onto bushland around the Cooks River, which is where Mr Marchant thinks the snake must have come from.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...ey-air-conditioning-unit-20180614-p4zlkf.html

Despite Australia's reputation, Sydney's Inner West is not the sort of place where you expect something like this:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...ey-air-conditioning-unit-20180614-p4zlkf.html

I agree KW. Largely, people who live east of the Hawkesbury/Nepean are pretty much isolated from this sort of thing - unless they've come to the big smoke to work.

My two Daughters have been in Sydney for twenty years or so, and they still shake their heads at some of the antics and ideas that Sydneyites believe and get up to.

My two Daughters have been in Sydney for twenty years or so, and they still shake their heads at some of the antics and ideas that Sydneyites believe and get up to.

So ah, what's so funny about us? (Apart from not being used to handing snakes)

Makes a change from rescuing cats from trees.

Snakes rescued from Milton Keynes flat fire

Two snakes have been rescued after a fire at a flat in Milton Keynes. Buckinghamshire and MK Fire and Rescue Service said the first-floor of the building in Capron, Beanhill, was severely damaged and the flat below had smoke damage. Crews from Bletchley, Great Holm and Broughton attended. The reptiles were rescued from the ground-floor flat.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-44354167#post_5b2359bcccaaa906711dfe33

Reactions: Jim
So ah, what's so funny about us? (Apart from not being used to handing snakes)

They wear Blundstones and don't want to get them clarty. They want produce out of season and then complain about how much we import. They get offended if you stir them about Quinoa.

They've got to have a 4WD, live in St Ives, but won't go bush with it. Have solid fuel heaters, but complain about burn offs - talk about the carbon foot print involved in raising cattle, yet go from air conditioned house to air conditioned car, to air conditioned work, where the lights have been on all night, along with the aircon, plus their computers have been on standby all night.

Complain how the farmer doesn't have a back-up plan for drought but don't realise that farmers can only harvest 1% of the states rainfall due to legislation concerning the local Isohyet and the size of their property and that all water in rivers and creeks is owned by a water authority/Corporation, which is stored in reservoirs for the minor and major cities.

Wadyerreckoneh?

34411586_10214699164265619_5022486493394894848_n.jpg

The local neighbourhood.

Is that water down there, or is it a pool of something that hasn't evaporated yet?

Indonesian woman dies after being swallowed whole by a python

An Indonesian mother has died after being swallowed whole by a 23-foot-long python.

The woman, Wa Tiba, 54, went missing while tending to her vegetable garden near her village on Muna Island in Southeast Sulawesi province on Thursday, according to the village chief, Faris.

When her family went to look for her, they found only her belongings in the garden, including her sandals, a machete and a flashlight.

The village subsequently launched a search for her but
were horrified to find the python with a severely bloated belly just 50 yards from the garden.

Faris said the villagers killed the snake and when they cut open its belly, they found the woman's body still intact wearing all her clothes.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/0...es-after-being-swallowed-whole-by-python.html

Is that water down there, or is it a pool of something that hasn't evaporated yet?

Well spotted - I'd say Myth, that there's a pair of dams on their last legs in the photo. They don't dig them deep - maybe two to three metres deep, but they dig them wide, so unfortunately, evaporation is very efficient.

This area has a transevaporation rate of 1800mm a year - about 74'' a year, that's 6'2'' of guaranteed evaporation per annum and with an average yearly rainfall of 23''...This is the land where cactus's die from a lack of rain

I reckon that to get a crop of wheat consistently from this area takes the planning of a mathematician, the insight of a philosopher, and the determination of Herakles...or, the persistence of a farmer.

Well spotted - I'd say Myth, that there's a pair of dams on their last legs in the photo. They don't dig them deep - maybe two to three metres deep, but they dig them wide, so unfortunately, evaporation is very efficient.

This area has a transevaporation rate of 1800mm a year - about 74'' a year, that's 6'2'' of guaranteed evaporation per annum and with an average yearly rainfall of 23''...This is the land where cactus's die from a lack of rain

I reckon that to get a crop of wheat consistently from this area takes the planning of a mathematician, the insight of a philosopher, and the determination of Herakles...or, the persistence of a farmer.
I don't know how they do it. Hats off to them.

I wish I could say any of the above was untrue. But it isn't.

That's a wonderful neighborhood.

Just another envious suburbanite here. But I don't have a 4WD and I laugh at the Qinoa crowd too.

Onya KW...I tell 'em that if quinoa is pronounced keenwah, then cocoa should be pronounced kohkwah.

A bit of a rude awakening

Woman wakes to find python in Kensington bed
  • 5 hours ago

_102732869_mediaitem102732868.jpg
Image copyrightRSPCA/PA
Image captionThe royal python was located the following evening in a corridor by the RSPCA
A woman got the "fright of her life" when she woke to find she was sharing her bed with a 3ft (90cm) long snake.

The royal python, which is thought to be an escaped pet, had curled up next to her as she slept in her flat in Kensington, west London, on Monday.

The woman rushed out of her room and called the RSPCA but the snake slithered away before they arrived.

The harmless reptile was finally captured in the flat on Tuesday evening by officer Jill Sanders.

She said: "The poor resident must have had the fright of their life waking up to a snake in their bed."

The RSPCA said it did not know how it got into the flat but believe it belongs to someone living nearby.

"Reptiles, particularly snakes, can be extremely good escape artists and will take the opportunity of a gap in an enclosure door, or a loose-fitting lid," Ms Sanders added.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-44993331

"She thought it was a snake,
So she hit it with a rake . . ."

Mind you, that one turned out to be a willie. Women can get confused it seems. :buck:

Reminds me of the briefly prevalent urban myth when a flatsitter sharing the place with their friend's pet snake woke up to find it lying in bed with her, and was told subsequently it was measuring her to eat later.

Reminds me of the briefly prevalent urban myth when a flatsitter sharing the place with their friend's pet snake woke up to find it lying in bed with her, and was told subsequently it was measuring her to eat later.

I still hear it fairly often tbh. But that might be a consequence of my hobby. I just show people who mention it photos of snakes that have literally burst from trying to eat waaaaaaay too big prey because just trying to dissuade them from that with talking never seems to work

Boa constrictor on the loose in Lincolnshire
Police have warned people not to approach the snake, which escaped from its owner’s home in Boston
Press Association
Thu 29 Nov 2018 06.27 GMT

Boa constrictors (stock image) are not venomous but attack prey with their teeth and constrict until it dies. Photograph: Yuri Cortez/AFP/Getty Images

A boa constrictor has been reported missing from a house in Lincolnshire.
Police have warned the public not to approach the snake, which has a white tail and grey, black and brown spots.
etc

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/nov/29/boa-constrictor-on-the-loose-in-lincolnshire

Strewth!

The warm, dry weather in south-east Queensland is forcing snakes into unusual places as they look for water.

Snake Catcher Noosa's Luke Huntley had to rescue a carpet python from a shower in a Noosa home at the start of the Australia Day long weekend. The incident came just three days after Canberra's Helen Richards was bitten on the bottom by a python which had coiled up inside the toilet of a Brisbane home she was visiting.

Mr Huntley said snakes were desperately looking for water, and to escape the heat, as the south-east continued to wither in the hot, parched conditions. "It is so dry at the moment, they are not only trying to get in out of the heat, they are looking for water," he said.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-28/first-the-loo-now-a-shower-dry-weather-forces-snakes/10755922

Back