• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Snow Circle: Owl Face Design

Here (below) is a static photo of the snow circle (i.e., a snow-inscribed version of a crop circle).

I'm not sure it was intended to represent a stylize owl, but I see why one would interpret it as such.

The thing I find novel here is clear evidence (footprints) indicating someone went out into the field to create it - something we don't see in classic crop circle photos.

I've tweaked the image sharpness and contrast so you can more clearly see the path of footprints leading to / from it.

I can't tell much about the footprints / paths. There are obviously 2 paths that largely overlap, but I can't tell whether they're best interpreted as two paths (out and back) taken by 1 person, or the paths of 2 people who took care to retrace their steps when leaving the scene.

snow-circle-1902-A.jpg

SOURCE: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/walker-stumbles-upon-enormous-owl-115000845.html

It's beautifully done.

I wonder if there is a history of snow/corn art in the area?

How was it done? I get the foot prints but.... string from two centres?

I'm wondering where the snow excised to create the lines and incised areas (e.g., around the peripheral ends of the 'petal' shapes) went. My first guess is that it was collected and deposited in the larger 'rough textured' areas (center areas of the 'eyes' and the 'beak area'.

However, these rough-textured areas seem to lie lower than the original snow surface - the opposite of what one would expect if the carved-away snow were dumped there.

I'm wondering where the snow excised to create the lines and incised areas (e.g., around the peripheral ends of the 'petal' shapes) went. My first guess is that it was collected and deposited in the larger 'rough textured' areas (center areas of the 'eyes' and the 'beak area'.

However, these rough-textured areas seem to lie lower than the original snow surface - the opposite of what one would expect if the carved-away snow were dumped there.

I don't think any snow has been removed/carved away here, just compacted as has happened with the footprints. It looks deep from the photo but that would just be the angle of the light.

I think it /is/ meant to look owl-like. There's a beak section and the cap section....

Back