So What Were YOUR Erroneous Childhood Beliefs?

James_H

And I like to roam the land
My co-workers are very amused that I don't like the cold, even though I come from a cold country. I have to explain that in my country, we have something called indoor heating, which doesn't exist here and is sorely missed in the few weeks of the year when it gets below 10°C.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
My co-workers are very amused that I don't like the cold, even though I come from a cold country. I have to explain that in my country, we have something called indoor heating, which doesn't exist here and is sorely missed in the few weeks of the year when it gets below 10°C.
Seriously - no indoor heating? In Hong Kong?

James_H

Seriously - no indoor heating? In Hong Kong?
Not unless you're on a bus, or certainly not anywhere I've ever worked. It's exactly parallel to how in the UK we don't have air-conditioning, because we only have a week or two each year when it would be useful.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Not unless you're on a bus, or certainly not anywhere I've ever worked. It's exactly parallel to how in the UK we don't have air-conditioning, because we only have a week or two each year when it would be useful.
Right - I was assuming it got cold at some point in winter but if not, then no need. But most have air-con for summer?

James_H

Right - I was assuming it got cold at some point in winter but if not, then no need. But most have air-con for summer?
It does get cold in the winter, just not for long enough that people will invest in heaters.

Air-con is not just for summer but for almost all of the year round.

Jepra Peld

Junior Acolyte
Just remembered another one, when I was very young, I thought that cars ran on porridge. I have no idea where that came from, I'm wondering if there might have been a children's story involving a car being fed porridge or something. Either that or I've misheard fuel as food or something.

Bad Bungle

Devoted Cultist
I was 7, two Teachers were having a quiet conversation between themselves and I overheard the words 'Concentration Camp' for the first time. I had no context or understanding of the term but it filled me with dread. I imagined rows and rows of desks where you had to do hard sums whilst some-one stood behind you making sure you didn't fidget and that you concentrated ALL THE TIME.

CALGACUS03

Junior Acolyte
That one had to wait an hour after eating before going swimming lest you got a stitch and drowned. This was the bane of my young summers (as well as many other young Australians) as this was a common belief. Summer days at the pool or the beach often were met with cries of "I'm not hungry'' at lunch time otherwise you had to sit bored, counting the minutes down until it was safe to enter the water again.
I did, until this post, still believe this! The cramps, the cramps!