• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Societal Complexity Creates 'Big Gods' (Moralizing Deities), Not the Other Way Around

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
A massive big data analysis covering 414 societies, 30 regions, and the last 10,000 years has surprisingly indicated moralizing deities are products of social complexification rather than a driving force in achieving social complexity. The available mass of data indicates the rise of such 'big gods' follows rather than precedes the attainment of social complexity.
Complex societies gave birth to big gods, not the other way around
An international research team, including a member of the Complexity Science Hub Vienna, investigated the role of "big gods" in the rise of complex large-scale societies. Big gods are defined as moralizing deities who punish ethical transgressions. Contrary to prevailing theories, the team found that beliefs in big gods are a consequence, not a cause, of the evolution of complex societies. The results are published in the current issue of the journal Nature. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/03/190320141116.htm

Here's the abstract of the Nature article ...
Complex societies precede moralizing gods throughout world history
Harvey Whitehouse, Pieter François, Patrick E. Savage, Thomas E. Currie, Kevin C. Feeney, Enrico Cioni, Rosalind Purcell, Robert M. Ross, Jennifer Larson, John Baines, Barend ter Haar, Alan Covey & Peter Turchin
Nature (2019)

Abstract

The origins of religion and of complex societies represent evolutionary puzzles. The ‘moralizing gods’ hypothesis offers a solution to both puzzles by proposing that belief in morally concerned supernatural agents culturally evolved to facilitate cooperation among strangers in large-scale societies. Although previous research has suggested an association between the presence of moralizing gods and social complexity the relationship between the two is disputed, and attempts to establish causality have been hampered by limitations in the availability of detailed global longitudinal data. To overcome these limitations, here we systematically coded records from 414 societies that span the past 10,000 years from 30 regions around the world, using 51 measures of social complexity and 4 measures of supernatural enforcement of morality. Our analyses not only confirm the association between moralizing gods and social complexity, but also reveal that moralizing gods follow—rather than precede—large increases in social complexity. Contrary to previous predictions, powerful moralizing ‘big gods’ and prosocial supernatural punishment tend to appear only after the emergence of ‘megasocieties’ with populations of more than around one million people. Moralizing gods are not a prerequisite for the evolution of social complexity, but they may help to sustain and expand complex multi-ethnic empires after they have become established. By contrast, rituals that facilitate the standardization of religious traditions across large populations generally precede the appearance of moralizing gods. This suggests that ritual practices were more important than the particular content of religious belief to the initial rise of social complexity.
SOURCE: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-019-1043-4

Thanks ... When I first discovered reference to it on the Science Daily site I thought, "This could be BIG!"

Thanks ... When I first discovered reference to it on the Science Daily site I thought, "This could be BIG!"
Nice, not sure how I missed that.

It's kinda big (and most excellent), in that it's been well analysed, but didn't we already really know this?

There was an item on the Whitehouse article in a recent issue of The Economist.

Nice, not sure how I missed that.

It's kinda big (and most excellent), in that it's been well analysed, but didn't we already really know this?

Yes. Robert N. Bellah's Religion in Human Evolution: From the Paleolithic to the Axial Age is one notable work which examines this.

Makes sense. Tiki idols and crocodile gods don't care what you do, as long as they get their worship or sacrifice. The tribe took care of dealing with "problem" individuals, probably only when behaviour was detrimental to the tribe as a whole.

But when the tribe, who all have a life time to know each other gets bigger, and starts trading with outsiders, and outsiders start coming there, and not everyone knows everyone, or doesn't behave like the others, or whatever, you start needing way more complex rules, and everyone has to know and follow them. If every chief and headman had to tell everyone all the rules... they wouldn't,. And then chaos, so...

why not have a judgemental, all knowing, all seeing God to enforce the rules? Way easier.

yeah thanks for posting this. i'm gonna have to give this a close read soon. not to be a one-trick-pony here, but that all seems quite Jungian. not surprising. in some ways, the belief is more important than the content of the belief--the beliefs are still quite profound in many cases, but the perspective is stripped of the fluff when we drop the dogma and approach it from an evolutionary perspective. glass half full, I am pleased to live in a society that is undertaking such a scientific approach to esoteric lore. slowly, inch by inch.

Makes sense. Tiki idols and crocodile gods don't care what you do, as long as they get their worship or sacrifice. The tribe took care of dealing with "problem" individuals, probably only when behaviour was detrimental to the tribe as a whole.

But when the tribe, who all have a life time to know each other gets bigger, and starts trading with outsiders, and outsiders start coming there, and not everyone knows everyone, or doesn't behave like the others, or whatever, you start needing way more complex rules, and everyone has to know and follow them. If every chief and headman had to tell everyone all the rules... they wouldn't,. And then chaos, so...

why not have a judgemental, all knowing, all seeing God to enforce the rules? Way easier.

Not read it yet but a great find.

God was a simple beast in the first testament, smite this, smite that and fuck everyone who doesn't agree with him, (and there is no mistake it's a big-balled "him")

By the new testament, God had grown up a bit, he's settled down, had a kid and he's called in the media consultants to make him and particularly his son more approachable and lovely.

Similar to what the Queen did with Harry and Wills.

Back