• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Soft Drinks (Soda, Pop, Carbonated Beverages, Etc.)

G

garrick92

Sitting in front of me on the desk is an empty 1.5 litre bottle of Coca-Cola. The label states, just below the ingredients panel, 'Kosher for Passover'. WTF?

• Is Coca-Cola, then, unclean?
  • Why Kosher for Passover (is it unclean the rest of the year?)?
  • Why isn't Coke kosher, in the first place? Is it the mystery ingredient that does it ..?

I give up. Anyone enlighten me?

What Does "KOSHER FOR PASSOVER" Mean?

During Passover, Jewish law forbids the consumption or possession by Jews of all edible fermented grain products (Chametz) or related foods. Therefore, even foods and household products which meet the strict, year-round dietary regulations, and are considered Kosher, are nevertheless, often unacceptable, or require special preparation for Passover use in the Jewish home in order to be Kosher for Passover.

How Can One Tell If A Product is "KOSHER FOR PASSOVER?"

Most processed foods and beverages require special rabbinical supervision for Passover use. They must also be Kosher for year-round use, and prepared in accordance with all of the regular Jewish dietary laws.

If you though that was bad, check out some of the wierd new cola types mentioned in the article in the New Yorker .
Chunky Coke anyone?:cross eye

StellaBoulton said:
If you though that was bad, check out some of the wierd new cola types mentioned in the article in the New Yorker .

What a load of crap. :rolleyes:

StellaBoulton said:

I hope this is a spoof article!

Textured drinks have been done though, Cresta, Sunny Disgusting etc

As well as that strange "Zero G" stuff (with neutral bouyancy jelly spheres) from a few years ago.

Regarding all the variations of Cola, the execs realise that there is a slow but steady swing to healthier drinks such as water, juices etc. so they are doing everything to introduce trendy but pointless gimmics.
Remember the Sunny D fiasco where we (in the UK) were bombarded with advertising for the stuff implying it was fresh fruit juice but later discovered to be a non-fizzy artificial orange juice? Sales plunged and the advertising was withdrawn ... so no more irritating non-realistic children and parents with badly dubbed voices!

There's been so many food scares here that if we immediately cut out everything that we've been warned off, we'd die of malnutrition, rickets or scurvy. Unless it makes the tap melt I'll still drink tap water. Regardless of taste or colour, the water companies have so much legislation waiting to knacker any lack of filtration or impurities, they try to be very careful who they poison.

Anyhow, as Terry Pratchett has said - any water that's passed through that many kidneys must be pure!

Coca cola unhealthy? I have never heard of anyone ever dying from drinking it.

(though I have no doubt there are many addicts, one mother I knew of, was worried because her daughter drank ONE glass a day. But them, she was a GB mother and not an american one...)

You may not die from drinking a reasonable amount of Coca Cola but the artificial sweeteners, colourings and acids don't do your teeth or digestive system any good either.
Its a "recreational" drink - that is, the drinker enjoys the taste but it holds no nutritional benefit. Drink it if you like but don't expect to be able to drink it as your sole source of liquids and not suffer from health problems.

Thats why my father is worried about the amount of fruit juice I gulp...

diluted with water is yukky (again, due to calcuim carbonate) but I find it good mixed with squash or even cheap sugar free lemonade

Anyone who wants to try a 'chunky' drink should try and find water-chestnut drink at their local, chinese supermarket.
It tastes like burnt suger with crunchy water-chestnut chunks.
One of the vilest beverages ever.

Isn't Sunny D's main ingredient oil? :cross eye I tried it once; made me throw up, so never again.

As Cola's main ingredient is water, surely you're getting some hydration from it? The danger is from the rest of the crap, isn't it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I agree about the Sunny D thing. I had a roomate and she went out to pick up orange juiice and vodka came back with sunny d. I refused to drink it and went and got some real orange juice. All I can say is it tastes thick. YUCK!!!

Several companies here have introduse some really weird sodas that taste like turkey and gravy and other food type items. Haven't tried them and won't. Disgusting. As for drinking to much soda it can seriously harm you. My mother has the cysts on her kidneys to prove it. She has some really weird stuff from excessive cola drinking. Personally I rarely touch the stuff.

This could be an Urban Legend, but, I heard that one soft drinks company did extensive research to find out what women wanted to drink. The results suggested they wanted a lightly sparkeling drink, pale coloured, tasting of mint and served in a champagne type bottle. They made it ... and it didn't sell.

Does anyone know what they called the muck, if indeed it was made?

I saw Babycham in Asda last week.
Isn't Lambrini the same thing?

My local co-op sells babycham. I often look longingly at it but I refuse to buy it until I have the proper 'babycham' glass (remember them?) and my mums got them in her loft.

Mmmmmmmm babycham and a cherry on a stick......:spinning

They're quite expensive to buy a set of six in a second hand shop, and also quite hard to find these days. You ever decide you dont' need them any more Lillith you just let me know!

I had Babycham at Christmas.

StellaBoulton said:
I saw Babycham in Asda last week.
Isn't Lambrini the same thing?

They are both perry (pear cider) pretending to be a white wine. Good quality perry is quite nice.

There was an autobiography on radio 4 last year by a man whose unche invented Babycham in the 1950s - it was supposed to be the first drink a woman could order in a pub "without feeling like a crone or a tart".

lemonpie said:
They're quite expensive to buy a set of six in a second hand shop, and also quite hard to find these days. You ever decide you dont' need them any more Lillith you just let me know!

I had Babycham at Christmas.

Do not give the babycham to Lemon, Lilith, unless you want to consign her poor husband to a night spent scraping her off the pavement......... ;)

Ha! His question is how I manage to get myself home all by myself but the second I'm a millimetre inside the front door immediately lose all capacity to walk (or even stumble) and have to be helped the last 4 metres into bed.

Originally posted by Austen

There was an autobiography on radio 4 last year by a man whose unche invented Babycham in the 1950s - it was supposed to be the first drink a woman could order in a pub "without feeling like a crone or a tart".

What about gin and orange, or was that considered a tarts drink?

Pete Younger said:
What about gin and orange, or was that considered a tarts drink?

To be honest I don't know - I wasn't round at the time. My great grandfather was a publican, and I have the impression that half a century and more ago even "normal" pubs were full of prostitutes.

Austen said:
To be honest I don't know - I wasn't round at the time. My great grandfather was a publican, and I have the impression that half a century and more ago even "normal" pubs were full of prostitutes.

Just goes to show how history can be distorted in young minds.:(

Old ladies used to drink port 'n' lemon, old men used to drink a light 'n' bitter, young "lads" used to drink lager 'n' lime, young "girlies" used to drink sweet martini 'n' lemonade. It was these preferences that allowed bartenders to judge, in advance, what to get the punters.

I used to drink unfeasable quantities of snakebite (sans black) and pernod 'n' black. So what have we now? Alcopops - drinks aimed at kids who can't take the taste of real alcohol - bottled water taken from taps them messed about with to no real effect and too few good beers.

So, whatever Coca Cola does, it can't get worse can it?

Ah, Babysham ... Pre-mixed snowballs, bottled guiness and Woodbine fags! My Christmas childhood memories are made of these ...

Back