• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Soft Drinks (Soda, Pop, Carbonated Beverages, Etc.)

Isn't it the same as 7up and Sprite?

They are all very similar, though there are differences. There is something in 7up that I don't like. Some are sweeter than others. I don't know if Squirt is still around, but it was less sweet and more sour, though there was no doubt plenty of sugar in it. That Shurfine stuff is cheap, which probably has a lot to do with why I like it. No bloated advertising campaign to pay for.

I used to like Mountain Dew in the US, but it is (or was) only freely available south of New Jersey. It has to be chilled though.

There was a "throwback" version in stores some years ago, actually with the word on the label. It was supposedly the original formula or something. It was nasty. Can't believe I liked it when it came out, back when I was ten or something. Of course, I usually had a Three Musketeers bar to go with it. <shudder> It's a wonder I turned out so normal. :pop:

Mountain Dew has come to be associated with testosterone fueled adolescent behavior, which is probably no accident as it contains insane amounts of caffeine and loads of sugar. Red Bull and that ilk "improved" on it and spawned many imitations.

They are all very similar, though there are differences. There is something in 7up that I don't like. Some are sweeter than others. I don't know if Squirt is still around, but it was less sweet and more sour, though there was no doubt plenty of sugar in it. That Shurfine stuff is cheap, which probably has a lot to do with why I like it. No bloated advertising campaign to pay for.

There was a "throwback" version in stores some years ago, actually with the word on the label. It was supposedly the original formula or something. It was nasty. Can't believe I liked it when it came out, back when I was ten or something. Of course, I usually had a Three Musketeers bar to go with it. <shudder> It's a wonder I turned out so normal. :pop:

Mountain Dew has come to be associated with testosterone fueled adolescent behavior, which is probably no accident as it contains insane amounts of caffeine and loads of sugar. Red Bull and that ilk "improved" on it and spawned many imitations.
Not sure I ever stopped being an adolescent :)

I had drunk 7Up as my preferred soda (Is that the correct American for 'Fizzy Drink'? ) since I was 5. I've always disliked Cola, of whatever brand.

Indeed Mountain Dew was so packed with sugar it had to be chilled to drink it, but the same is true of Red Bull etc. And 'The Dew' was a heck of a lot cheaper.

Not sure I ever stopped being an adolescent :)

I had drunk 7Up as my preferred soda (Is that the correct American for 'Fizzy Drink'? ) since I was 5. I've always disliked Cola, of whatever brand.

Indeed Mountain Dew was so packed with sugar it had to be chilled to drink it, but the same is true of Red Bull etc. And 'The Dew' was a heck of a lot cheaper.
I like Lilt :)

1631305361693.png

Peru has it's own brand called Inca Cola. It is not very cola-like though, more of a chewing gum-like flavour.

Sierra Mist is still available in the US - it never left, just changed the name for a while. The full-calorie version uses real sugar (sucrose) rather than high fructose corn syrup - common in US soft drinks - which makes it the favorite lemon/lime of many, including myself.

Interesting fact: Mountain Dew was originally intended as a cocktail mixer for whiskey.

Sierra Mist is still available in the US - it never left, just changed the name for a while. The full-calorie version uses real sugar (sucrose) rather than high fructose corn syrup - common in US soft drinks - which makes it the favorite lemon/lime of many, including myself.

Interesting fact: Mountain Dew was originally intended as a cocktail mixer for whiskey.
I take it your talking bourbon not scotch?

When I was young (seems like a very long time ago) I used to like 'Citrus Spring'.
It didn't seem anywhere near as 'heavy' and sweet as other drinks.
Probably because it was devoid of artificial sweeteners, colours etc, plus they used 'spring water' (not that I ever thought that was any different to 'tap water' really).
1631354404034.png

When I was young (seems like a very long time ago) I used to like 'Citrus Spring'.
It didn't seem anywhere near as 'heavy' and sweet as other drinks.
Probably because it was devoid of artificial sweeteners, colours etc, plus they used 'spring water' (not that I ever thought that was any different to 'tap water' really).
View attachment 44866
I once tried 'San Pellegrino limonata' wow that was sharp, tasted like carbonated lemon juice.

sanpellegrino_limonatacans330ml_main_image.png

I once tried 'San Pellegrino limonata' wow that was sharp, tasted like carbonated lemon juice.

View attachment 44868
They've recently changed the taste of their drinks, not for the better.
Sanpellegrino drinks used to be about as natural as possible.

Last edited:
They've recently changed the taste if their drinks, not for the better.
Sanpellegrino drinks used to be about as natural as possible.
The blood orange one was ok but I think a small amount of sweetening is needed for lemon beverages, if they are designed to be drunk on their own rather than, as with bitter lemon, used as a mixer.

The blood orange one was ok but I think a small amount of sweetening is needed for lemon beverages, if they are designed to be drunk on their own rather than, as with bitter lemon, used as a mixer.
They removed a lot of sugar because of all this 'sugar tax' nonsense.

I tried it many years ago just after it became available in most shops and bars, I haven't gone back for seconds
It's not for everyone, I guess. I've gone off it now the taste has changed.

Hmmm! Like you I have to be careful with sugar now! ButI am annoyed at these sort of taxes as well.
Removing the sugar can actually remove a lot of the taste too.
I drink mostly diet Red Bull and Coke Zero, but only because they don't taste that different from the sugared versions.
Fruit-based drinks can suffer greatly from a reduction in sugar.

Back