• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Soft Drinks (Soda, Pop, Carbonated Beverages, Etc.)

Corona first made 'Tango', wow you learn something new every day.

"Corona was a brand of carbonated soft drink produced by Thomas & Evans Ltd in South Wales, and distributed across the United Kingdom. The firm was created by grocers William Thomas and William Evans when they saw a market for soft drinks caused by the growing influence of the temperance movement."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corona_(soft_drink)
Ah. No don't recall that at all. Perhaps the local shop just didn't sell it, or maybe it was too expensive.

Corona first made 'Tango', wow you learn something new every day.

"Corona was a brand of carbonated soft drink produced by Thomas & Evans Ltd in South Wales, and distributed across the United Kingdom. The firm was created by grocers William Thomas and William Evans when they saw a market for soft drinks caused by the growing influence of the temperance movement."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corona_(soft_drink)
Just asked Mrs F. She remembers it.

We had Corona in the West Midlands, in the Pop Man used to deliver it in glass bottles once a week and take the empties away, presumably for a deposit refund or discount. This would have been in the 70s and 80s I reckon.

Cydrax sounds like Snapple's original natural apple soda. That stuff was great!

You guys are going to make me bring up some oddball American sodas:
  • Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray (celery flavored and very sweet)
  • Cheerwine (not-so-sugary but cherrylike)
  • Jones Soda (Started out - in Canada - with gourmet versions of traditional flavors, but now makes really odd flavors like Blue Bubblegum, FuFu Berry, and their seasonal Thanksgiving box set that always includes Turkey with Gravy)
  • Moxie (I have no idea, but it was once popular)

I love Tizer...

That is, if it is still available in this area.

PitherMontyPython.jpg

No. It sounds horrible!

Don't listen to these sugar junkies, I've recently turned to San Pellegrino and find it very refreshing, good for the digestion too. It's basically fizzy water and fruit juice, I drink a lot of fruit juice but started to think I had too much of it, so this is a good compromise (eating fruit is far better for you than just having the juice).

Don't listen to these sugar junkies, I've recently turned to San Pellegrino and find it very refreshing, good for the digestion too. It's basically fizzy water and fruit juice, I drink a lot of fruit juice but started to think I had too much of it, so this is a good compromise (eating fruit is far better for you than just having the juice).
Ok, sounds like I maybe need to at least try it and see.

I do love my apple and mango juice.

I really used to love dandelion and burdock, traditionally with a Wagon Wheel after swimming. I have had it recently (Fentimans make it) but it’s not as tooth-rattlingly sweet as i remember it and i just couldn’t get on with it. Nowadays i drink alcohol-free beer if i want a soft drink as they aren’t as full of crap.

Cydrax sounds like Snapple's original natural apple soda. That stuff was great!

You guys are going to make me bring up some oddball American sodas:
  • Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray (celery flavored and very sweet)
  • Cheerwine (not-so-sugary but cherrylike)
  • Jones Soda (Started out - in Canada - with gourmet versions of traditional flavors, but now makes really odd flavors like Blue Bubblegum, FuFu Berry, and their seasonal Thanksgiving box set that always includes Turkey with Gravy)
  • Moxie (I have no idea, but it was once popular)
There is a character in John Connolly's 'Charlie Parker' series of books who's nickname is 'Moxie' because of his love of the drink, according to the interweb, it's still being made by Coca- cola, but in limited amounts, and it tastes a bit like root beer with a bitter aftertaste.

dandelion and burdock,

Around here, at least, this nostalgic relic of the temperance beverage list can still be obtained in big PET bottles among the supermarket own-brands. A fraction of price of a little bottle of Fentiman's gentrified brew.

I bought a bottle last summer; it was very much as I remembered it: very gassy, very sweet, a bit underwhelming. Sainsbury's probably.

I see the post is nearly a year and a half old but it may be worth seeing if it can be found online. I suspect the tinctures of youth will always tend to disappoint, even if they are authentic recipes. :omr:

Seriously, are the Garudian in favour of ANYTHING?

Who can be offended by a soft drink?

(I love Lilt...)
It's a great drink. Sad to see it go, but like I say - if there's anything 'they' regard as too good for the masses, they'll remove it.

Seriously, are the Garudian in favour of ANYTHING?

Who can be offended by a soft drink?

(I love Lilt...)

I also love Lilt. It's not going though, just being relaunched as Fanta pineapple and grapefruit. We could start a campaign against the name change.

I have the Aldi stuff, far cheaper.

And I am perplexed over the strange idea of `blackface`

Do proper Guardian readers jet across to the Caribbean whenever they need a tropical drink, and buy it off of a local (checked for locality) on a street corner?

though I suspect they have canned drinks like everyone else these days, probably some local drink like Coca-cola????

Or am I over thinking this?

I have the Aldi stuff, far cheaper.

And I am perplexed over the strange idea of `blackface`

Do proper Guardian readers jet across to the Caribbean whenever they need a tropical drink, and buy it off of a local (checked for locality) on a street corner?

though I suspect they have canned drinks like everyone else these days, probably some local drink like Coca-cola????

Or am I over thinking this?

Not overthinking, but perhaps not reading the article, and therefore missing the point…

The author Nels Abbey is not taking offence at Lilt. Yes, he writes bemusedly that it’s marketing was a product of a different era and its Caribbean credentials were “fake” dreamt up by marketing executives. He also points out that cringe-worthy advertising was employed, and it has not aged well. But his point is not this.

The point he is making is, in the world of marketing and branding, the fashion for “authenticity” (in deliberate inverted commas) is now where the money is, and the marketing execs have decided that the Lilt brand has fallen foul of this new idol; that is why it has been axed. Not through any new-found cultural sensitivity, but because affecting faux authenticity is where the money is, and brands are only ever money-driven.

In Nels’ own words:
“Lilt and the 2020s couldn’t coexist for long, for authenticity sells, and Lilt could not have been less authentic as a “taste of the tropics” if it wore fake dreadlocks and called itself Bob Marley Brew.
It was the soft drink equivalent of blackface; a liquid echo of a variety show limbo dance. In a social media-driven age where accusations of cultural appropriation can spell doom for a brand and its manufacturer, authenticity seems more and more essential.
Coca-Cola has not revealed why it is pulling the brand, but one thing cannot be denied: when the cash register stops ringing, corporations start moving. Lilt had clearly, to coin a phrase, faded to black. […]
It’s cultural but it’s business. All of this is business. Lilt, a brand once honed and pitched at Blackness and the tropics, has been rebirthed as a subbrand of Fanta – which was originally created to serve a Nazi Germany deprived of Coca-Cola. Go figure!”

And as for; “…proper Guardian readers jet across to the Caribbean whenever they need a tropical drink, and buy it off of a local (checked for locality) on a street corner…” He actually addresses that too. Quote:

“But then, who needs Coke’s totally synthetic tropical these days when you can enter a Caribbean food shop and leave with coconut water (delicious and good for the heart and kidneys), sop juice (high in vitamin C, good for the immune system), Malta (like Supermalt, but less sweet, said to lower cholesterol), sorrel (made from hibiscus calyces, fruits and spices – full of antioxidants) and myriad fruit juices adjacent to actual sun-kissed fruit.
And for those who truly yearn for the carbonated taste of the Caribbean they got from Lilt, scout around: some places sell Ting, Lilt’s fizzy veteran competitor, flavoured with Jamaican grapefruit juice concentrate.”

Sierra Mist is still available in the US - it never left, just changed the name for a while. The full-calorie version uses real sugar (sucrose) rather than high fructose corn syrup - common in US soft drinks - which makes it the favorite lemon/lime of many, including myself.
Sadly, Sierra Mist is gone again. It's been replaced by Starry, a corn syrup sweetened product with the stupidest name and logo I have ever seen from a major manufacturer. Flavor is much more subdued. It's as if they want people to hate it.

471996be9bf104f0165bacc5903ce73f.jpg

Couldn't stand Tizer. Or was it Lucozade?
Probably both, actually.
I find that Lucozade only tastes good if you are ill. Otherwise :yuck:

Back