• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Solar Eclipse: A Chance to Glimpse Lizardman & Bigfoot?

I'm guessing that the little snowflake had never even heard of an eclipse until recently. :D

I was watching a solar eclipse a couple of years ago and nearby was a group of students. When it was over one said "Oh is that it? I thought it would have made some sort of noise."
:rollingw:

Well...I might make the trek...but it looks like my office employee and myself are going to close the office for about an hour or two and have a craft beer and look at the partial eclipse......with proper filters of course.

Well...I might make the trek...but it looks like my office employee and myself are going to close the office for about an hour or two and have a craft beer and look at the partial eclipse......with proper filters of course.

Hope the weather is kind and cooperates. It's an amazing experience to see an eclipse, very eerie.

I paused a cricket game, drank cider and listened to No Quarter in the gardens of a sixteenth-century country cottage during the total solar eclipse of... was it 1999?

Happy days indeed.

I paused a cricket game, drank cider and listened to No Quarter in the gardens of a sixteenth-century country cottage during the total solar eclipse of... was it 1999?

Happy days indeed.

Yes it was 1999. I watched its reflection in a pot of water in my back garden, while making sure my little stepdaughter didn't stare at it directly.

If you can, I'd recommend making the effort to witness totality. I went down from Yorkshire to Cornwall for the 1999 eclipse, and even though it was cloudy where we were, the atmosphere was incredible, right down to a confused barn owl flying about. I've witnessed two partial solar eclipses since then, and, frankly, there is no comparison.

Hope the weather is kind and cooperates. It's an amazing experience to see an eclipse, very eerie.
I've seen several partial solar eclipses...but never a total one.

Every eclipse deserves its own tune.

The Aug. 21 total solar eclipse will have some musical accompaniment at the Exploratorium science museum in San Francisco, featuring the acclaimed Kronos Quartet.

The museum will host the quartet, which will play a musical composition around totality — the period when the moon totally occults the sun. But the full eclipse composition will also include live music created digitally from a live feed of the eclipse. If you can't see the event on-site, the Exploratorium will livestream the event.

The "real-time eclipse sonification" is being produced by Wayne Grim, a Bay Area composer and a sound artist at the Exploratorium, in collaboration with the Kronos Quartet, according to a statement from the museum. Grim's composition is called "233rd Day," a reference to Aug. 21 being the 233rd day of the year. ...

https://www.space.com/37845-kronos-..._medium=social&utm_campaign=2016twitterdlvrit

A musical accompaniment?:wtf: Heathens. I'll put a reasonable amount of money on this being the brainchild of someone who has never seen an eclipse. The sciencey museum place ought to know better. If ever an event called for silence, surely a total eclipse is it. I'm all for another pay day for Ms Tyler, but - at the risk of :omr: - a big part of the experience for me was the pin-drop silence that descended. Remember, the local wildlife will think it's night-time, so the diurnal ones will fall quiet. For pity's sake, take your earphones out, just this once, and aim for an unalloyed, unmediated experience. :mad:

A musical accompaniment?:wtf: Heathens. I'll put a reasonable amount of money on this being the brainchild of someone who has never seen an eclipse. The sciencey museum place ought to know better. If ever an event called for silence, surely a total eclipse is it. I'm all for another pay day for Ms Tyler, but - at the risk of :omr: - a big part of the experience for me was the pin-drop silence that descended. Remember, the local wildlife will think it's night-time, so the diurnal ones will fall quiet. For pity's sake, take your earphones out, just this once, and aim for an unalloyed, unmediated experience. :mad:

If they must insist on music then they should choose this

Lunar eclipse...

aADdwr2_460s.jpg

A local businessman was kind enough to loan me a pair of his welder's goggles, and so in about an hour or so, I'll be off to NE Kansas to see the eclipse. I've seen partial eclipses before and one lunar eclipse, but they were many years ago. If memory serves, they were in the 1970's.

http://forward.com/culture/380192/the-secret-jewish-history-of-the-solar-eclipse/
Found this article and I hope it's just superstition.
"
The Hebrew word for eclipse is likui, or defect. The Talmud states that a likui of the sun is a bad sign for the world. More specifically, the Gemara states that the location in which the sun is seen in total eclipse is where folks especially need to worry. A map of Monday’s eclipse pretty much draws a diagonal line right through the United States, from the Pacific Northwest to the Southeast. America — consider yourselves warned.
Read more: http://forward.com/culture/380192/the-secret-jewish-history-of-the-solar-eclipse/

Is it bad for the Jewish people in that location, or bad for everybody?

http://forward.com/culture/380192/the-secret-jewish-history-of-the-solar-eclipse/
Found this article and I hope it's just superstition.
"
The Hebrew word for eclipse is likui, or defect. The Talmud states that a likui of the sun is a bad sign for the world. More specifically, the Gemara states that the location in which the sun is seen in total eclipse is where folks especially need to worry. A map of Monday’s eclipse pretty much draws a diagonal line right through the United States, from the Pacific Northwest to the Southeast. America — consider yourselves warned.
Read more: http://forward.com/culture/380192/the-secret-jewish-history-of-the-solar-eclipse/

Oy vey.

I am currently living in the totality path of the 2024 eclipse. Check back with me then.

We got 80% eclipse today, it was underwhelming at that percentage, not even "cloudy" level of darkness.

Now, back to the eclipse. It was an almost comple waste of my time, as the weather refused to cooperate. All I got was the darkness.

However, there was a bit of exciitement: I parked in a WalMart parking lot, and there was quite a police lightshow. I asked a by-stander what it was about and he said that someone tried to rob the store.

There was nothing about it in the news, however.

I was at my mom's place for the eclipse. 99% occlusion, so I was expecting some drama. Apparently, though, anything short of totality is a non-event. Barely amounted to more than a moderately overcast day, hardly registered with the birds and insects. It was neat to see the sun's disk almost completely occluded, though

Back