• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Solar Eclipse: A Chance to Glimpse Lizardman & Bigfoot?

In 7 more years when the next eclipse intersects the path of the recent eclipse in or near Cairo Illinois and Carbondale Illinois whose nickname is "Little Egypt" the sign seems to be hinting that The United Snakes or America is Egypt. What are the probabilities that 2 total solar eclipses only 7 years apart would cross the same country and the same state in that country? What's also interesting is the recent one interred at Salem which is short for Jerusalem. It exits at South Carolina where the Civil War started. They intersect in Illinois called the land of Lincoln. So far we've got Jerusalem, Cairo, Little Egypt, Land of Lincoln, Civil War. all that's missing now is the Isrealites. I think that I have found them. The transatlantic slave trade started 400 years ago 1619. The Isrealites were in Egypt 400 years. There was a solar eclipse over Africa in 1619 inaugurate the start of the trade. There was a total solar eclipse in the United States in 1776 and 1918 ww1 and a flu pandemic that year. So this country has 7 more years to let the Isrealites go. How horribly horrific. I'm going to get my popcorn kick back and watch the show. God am I sick

According to folklore, a werewolf formed during an eclipse is immune to being killed by a silver bullet or silver knife, the traditional methods of killing werewolves.

According to folklore, a werewolf formed during an eclipse is immune to being killed by a silver bullet or silver knife, the traditional methods of killing werewolves.

Wasn't the silver method of killing a werewolf invented by Curt Siodmak in his screenplay for The Wolf Man in 1941, along with most of the other folklore?

Wasn't the silver method of killing a werewolf invented by Curt Siodmak in his screenplay for The Wolf Man in 1941, along with most of the other folklore?

Isn't all folklore made up by somebody at some point in the past? Regardless how or when created, the silver bullet story is now part of the mythology.

Isn't all folklore made up by somebody at some point in the past? Regardless how or when created, the silver bullet story is now part of the mythology.

There's a point.:)

OTOH, a lot people put in a lot of time to remember every little detail. Need proof? Just check out any com-icon fan site. :D

I drove 850 miles to see totality in Glendo, Wyoming and various friends and family flew into Denver and rented cars to join me. We stayed in a B&B 140 miles south in Ft Collins, Colorado because of the rampant gouging going on for housing near the path of totality. I didn't count on the traffic jam. We left at 4:30 AM to get up to Glendo and almost didnt make it in time.

I've seen a dozen partial solar eclipses and one annular but have waited 55 years, since I was a lil' kid, to see a total one. The wait was worth it!!! The weather was perfect and totality is indescribably awe inspiring! The corona is so beautiful - no photo or video does it justice. I brought some good sized telescopes and we could see ruby-red prominences poking up around the rim of the moon. The chromosphere was visible at the beginning and end of totality, a kind of violent boiling purple, sort of terrifying to behold. We had all of 2 minutes and 20 seconds to try to take it all in.

If you ever get the chance to see one DO IT. I arm-twisted some of my peeps to travel to see it but they all thanked me, saying it was the most awesome thing they'd ever seen.

The 1941 film represented the point at which the silver vulnerability became a standard element of the werewolf mythos (at least in pop culture). The 1943 Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man is often cited as the first time the unavoidable transformation caused by a full moon was added. (There had been full moon connections mentioned in folklore long before that, but not the notion the transformation was deterministically induced by the full moon alone.)

The silver vulnerability, though, can be traced much farther back in folklore / mythology. For example, some contemporary accounts purportedly claimed the Beast of Gevauden was finally killed (1767) by using silver - in some versions, a silver bullet.

This specific claim has been challenged in recent years, based on evidence the specific 'silver bullet' bit didn't emerge prior to fiction authors' allusions to the Beast in the mid-1930's. Either interpretation still pre-dates the 1941 Wolfman film.

The 1941 film represented the point at which the silver vulnerability became a standard element of the werewolf mythos (at least in pop culture). The 1943 Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man is often cited as the first time the unavoidable transformation caused by a full moon was added. (There had been full moon connections mentioned in folklore long before that, but not the notion the transformation was deterministically induced by the full moon alone.)

The silver vulnerability, though, can be traced much farther back in folklore / mythology. For example, some contemporary accounts purportedly claimed the Beast of Gevauden was finally killed (1767) by using silver - in some versions, a silver bullet.

This specific claim has been challenged in recent years, based on evidence the specific 'silver bullet' bit didn't emerge prior to fiction authors' allusions to the Beast in the mid-1930's. Either interpretation still pre-dates the 1941 Wolfman film.

Still pretty recent, though, and not exactly ancient tradition.

Sorry folks, getting off-topic, I know.

Back