• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Solar Eclipse

This is the first eclipse like this in America in 99 years so it's a big deal here as some places are selling tickets to areas rhar offer best views.

On the news this morning they went live to Kelly, Hopkinsville which is apparently right in the epicenter. (Home of the Kelly Goblins!)

Just watching on tv, totally is just an amazing event imo.Lots of people are calling it a spiritual event,the reporter calling it an out of this world experience.It was a special moment .

We were supposed to have 85 % partial eclipse in my area about 4 1/2 hours north of the totality band but it didnt' look like anything at all...very disappointed. It seemed to get a little darker but that was about all.....the sky was a bit overcast with some clouds but the sun was shining so I don't understand why w e didn't at least see this 85 % eclipse.

?

We were in the totality of it in SC where I live...It was wicked looking.

Last edited:
The skies here were generally clear (no more than high haze) for an 88 - 90% occultation. The sunlight became paler rather than noticeably dimmer. Some birds seemed to be confused and started chattering as if it were early morning or evening.

I drove to a nearby diner, picked up a chocolate milk shake, then settled in on a large open parking lot to watch the main portion of the event. I tucked my eclipse glasses in behind my sunglasses and checked the big ol' bite taken out of the solar disc.

Folks from a couple of other cars parked in the otherwise deserted lot were watching the eclipse and taking pictures.

I basically saw a smaller version of the same image the live TV coverage was showing, but with a good milk shake.

The last time I viewed a solar eclipse I used a pinhole projection rather than sun-safe lenses. I'm frankly not sure I find the special eclipse glasses approach preferable.

We were at 96%. I was surprised how bright it stayed. It just looked as though we were about to get a storm. I was more impressed with the "shadow snakes" on the ground than the actual eclipse.

I posted this in "Solar Eclipse: A Chance to see Lizardman and Bigfoot" but should have posted here instead:

I drove 850 miles to see totality in Glendo, Wyoming and various friends and family flew into Denver and rented cars to join me. We stayed in a B&B 140 miles south in Ft Collins, Colorado because of the rampant gouging going on for housing near the path of totality. I didn't count on the traffic jam. We left at 4:30 AM to get up to Glendo and almost didnt make it in time.

I've seen a dozen partial solar eclipses and one annular but have waited 55 years, since I was a lil' kid, to see a total one. The wait was worth it!!! The weather was perfect and totality is indescribably awe inspiring! The corona is so beautiful - no photo or video does it justice. I brought some good sized telescopes and we could see ruby-red prominences poking up around the rim of the moon. The chromosphere was visible at the beginning and end of totality, a kind of violent boiling purple, sort of terrifying to behold. We had all of 2 minutes and 20 seconds to try to take it all in.

If you ever get the chance to see one DO IT. I arm-twisted some of my peeps to travel to see it but they all thanked me, saying it was the most awesome thing they'd ever seen.

We had about 80% totality here, and I love this kind of stuff, so I got some welders glass and watched.
I also tried some photos, (with a crappy go-pro knock-off), but weirdly, the crescent doesn't show on "film" through the glass? By eye, it was perfect.

To compare, I took the pinhole shot through my hat, at the same time as I took the other one.

View attachment 5892 View attachment 5893

We had about 80% totality here, and I love this kind of stuff, so I got some welders glass and watched.
I also tried some photos, (with a crappy go-pro knock-off), but weirdly, the crescent doesn't show on "film" through the glass? By eye, it was perfect.

To compare, I took the pinhole shot through my hat, at the same time as I took the other one.

View attachment 5892 View attachment 5893
Those pic attachments didn't work.

Ooops, I'll try again. (can you see them now?)
eclipse (small).JPG
pinhole eclipse small.JPG

I see them now ...

I like the myriad-pinhole effect! :clap:

Thanks, I like that one too! I just wish it was in better focus!

People across Asia are witnessing an annular solar eclipse, which is also known as a "ring of fire".

Crowds have gathered to watch the natural phenomenon in a number of countries, including Sri Lanka, Indonesia, India and Saudi Arabia.

In an annular eclipse, the moon covers the centre of the Sun, giving the appearance of a bright ring.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-50913943

The best place to see thursdays solar eclipse is the Shetland Isles.

"Shetland is expected to have the best view in the UK of a solar eclipse on Thursday, experts have said.

Some parts of the world will see the annular eclipse or so-called ring of fire in full, but from the UK there will be a partial solar eclipse.

Shetland is expected to have a 39% obscuration, which indicates how much of the sun's disc area is covered as a percentage.

It is followed by Lochinver at 36.8%, Inverness at 35% and Edinburgh at 31%."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-57385856

Amazing, thank you @Erinaceus !

I have been a bunker all day no chance of seeing it. Some comrades of mine did make it out to the real world and brought back word of the eclipse. They said everything felt very eerie. Light was odd.

We were walking through the small village of Stillington, pointing up at the sky whenever a passer-by came within hailing distance. They probably though I was bonkers.
The thin cloud was just right to show the disk, as shown in Erinaceus' photo.

Typical bloody English weather!
In 1999 I drove down to Cornwall, slept in the car overnight, only to wake to a heavily overcast morning, which reduced the long awaited total eclipse to a vague and underwhelming dimming and brightening.
Yesterday, was standing in my garden in reasonable sunshine and full of anticipation, until just after 11:00, when the clouds swept in and scuppered it again.

I reckon somewhere up there's avin a larf!

To find oneself singled out by the Cosmic Joker is rather unnerving! :oldm:

I mean, it's like he's handed out free tickets to this spectacular celestial show, only for me to find that my seat has an obscured view behind a pillar or something!

Back