• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Some Scottish News Stories

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
First Article:
Is Silverburn shopping centre haunted? Shoppers report seeing the 'terrifying' ghost of a woman in black
At less than 10 years old it’s hardly a haunted castle or ghoulish graveyard - but shoppers at the Pollok centre have reported a ghostly figure floating around.
The apparition is said to be of a woman dressed in all black period clothing - and she’s been spotted four times in as many weeks.
One shopper, who asked to remain anonymous, said: “We were waiting on our friend coming out of one of the shops, when out of the corner of my eye I saw this dark figure coming down the corridor, almost hovering - it was terrifying.”
A Silverburn security guard has also encountered the spook - Thomas Chalmers said: “I had just finished my shift and was leaving the centre bathroom when I had this sudden chill.
“I didn’t think much of it, but as I looked up I saw this shadowy figure disappear down the hall. There is no way that it was human.”
Continued with pointless comment:​

Second Article:

Police investigate reports of a 'poltergeist' after witnessing paranormal activity at a home in Lanarkshire
Baffled cops witnessed clothes flying across the room and a levitating dog at a property in Rutherglen last week.
Police in Lanarkshire are investigating reports of an apparent poltergeist ghost which is believed to have been haunting a house.
Experienced police officers were called to a property on Stonelaw Road, Rutherglen on Monday, 8 August after a mother and her teenage son endured two days of paranormal activity in their home.
After the officers arrived at the scene, they witnessed bizarre occurrences, from clothes flying across the room, lights going on and off, oven doors opening and closing and lampshades mysteriously turned upside down.
The mother and son's pet chihuahua too was involved in the supposed haunting, after it ended up on top of a seven-foot hedge whilst playing in the garden.
The family, who have now moved out of the property and are living with relatives, contacted the police to report 'disturbing incidents' in their home at the start of last week.
The woman and her teenage son experienced violent and unexplained circumstances and as a result, are extremely distressed.
A police source told the Daily Record: “These were incidents that were witnessed by our own officers. Incidents that are not easily explained.
“But officers with more than 20 years’ service are saying they’ve never seen anything like this. It really is something that down-to-earth police officers are having trouble getting their heads round.
Additional information from police:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the Stonelaw-Rutherglen Poltergeist seems to have fizzled! Doing a few searches for an update, all I found was a complaint from the "devout Catholic" woman at the centre of it about press intrusion. Oddly, all the press coverage I can find just repeats the rather unimpressive material in the original story. :huh:

Well the Stonelaw-Rutherglen Poltergeist seems to have fizzled! Doing a few searches for an update, all I found was a complaint from the "devout Catholic" woman at the centre of it about press intrusion. Oddly, all the press coverage I can find just repeats the rather unimpressive material in the original story. :huh:

I have incorporated the core of the text of each story into the opening post on the grounds that local news sites are forever moving and removing stories.

You're right that the second story is rather unsatisfactory in that there are so many leads that have not been followed up:

Police eyewitnesses
Church involvement
A surviving dog!

I was looking for a thread in and 'iron age' theme to post this but the closest was the Loch Lomand village' and this is Loch Tay.

Fire has destroyed a recreated iron age roundhouse on the shore of Loch Tay

"A recreated Iron Age house on the shores of Loch Tay has been gutted by fire.

The Scottish Crannog Centre, which is also a museum of life in ancient Scotland, was hit by a devastating blaze on Friday evening.

The Iron Age roundhouse stood on stilts on the loch shore at Kenmore in Perthshire.

Video and pictures posted online by people nearby showed the Iron Age house engulfed in flames.

Mike Benson, the director of the Crannog Centre, said CCTV footage showed the fire took hold and destroyed the house in minutes."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-57452498

The poltergeist story is definitely real. I know a policeman who was involved and he said it was bonkers. Think the dog ended up floating onto the hedge at one point?!
Seemingly it kept up when the woman abs her son moved in with the gran, but stopped after a priest did an exorcism. Crazy stuff!

I was looking for a thread in and 'iron age' theme to post this but the closest was the Loch Lomand village' and this is Loch Tay.

Fire has destroyed a recreated iron age roundhouse on the shore of Loch Tay

"A recreated Iron Age house on the shores of Loch Tay has been gutted by fire.

The Scottish Crannog Centre, which is also a museum of life in ancient Scotland, was hit by a devastating blaze on Friday evening.

The Iron Age roundhouse stood on stilts on the loch shore at Kenmore in Perthshire.

Video and pictures posted online by people nearby showed the Iron Age house engulfed in flames.

Mike Benson, the director of the Crannog Centre, said CCTV footage showed the fire took hold and destroyed the house in minutes."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-57452498

Get the team from Must Farm in; they’ll be able to reconstruct it, no bother.

maximus otter

Utterly tragic. And yet....it had the conspicuous incongruity of orange-cabled smoke-detectors all over the structure.

I loved the thing, and was in it (especially when my family was younger) lots of times.

The massive concave hearthstone at the centre of the crannog was only for historical accuracy (not daily catering purposes), although I think I've been told that particular part of the recreation was in fact an original real stone, one that'd been recovered from amongst the debris of an original crannog retreived from the loch bed.

They have the technology :)
Indeed they have recreated the old-school technologies (lots of effort went into them avoiding any modern construction methods, although I think the pier and internal flooring used modern dressed planks to avoid drowning visitors).

And ideally the replacement will still not be even a tiny bit bionic!!

Indeed they have recreated the old-school technologies (lots of effort went into them avoiding any modern construction methods, although I think the pier and internal flooring used modern dressed planks to avoid drowning visitors).

And ideally the replacement will still not be even a tiny bit bionic!!
Maybe install a discrete sprinkler system in the new one

But then the Flag Fen houses were also surrounded by water yet burnt down, thus preserving their contents for the future...

so.. this is actually a cunning part of the recreation? woooooHOOOOOO! :D

I loved the thing, and was in it (especially when my family was younger) lots of times.
Get in there, ya total dancer! :bpals:

The Scottish Crannog Centre set for busy summer after fire

The National
Just posted online

DESPITE the recent fire at The Scottish Crannog Centre, the team are preparing for a busy summer ahead, including live performances and family events.

Rachel Backshall, event co-ordinator at the Crannog Centre said: “We are thrilled to be hosting such a fantastic theatre company. After the devastating loss of the Crannog, we are very grateful for the support of the community and for all the kindness we have received. We are determined to continue delivering the magic, and bringing great events to the local area.”

https://www.thenational.scot/news/19418343.scottish-crannog-centre-set-busy-summer-fire/

Buy yourself a (ruined) Scottish village for just £125,000..

Entire 'haunted' Scottish village goes up for sale for £125k with private beach and ghost​

The forgotten village on Loch Tay is haunted by the ghost of soothsayer Lady of Lawers who foresaw death and destruction

Full article here.

Private beach? I hope the property isn't bought by a greedy developer who tears down all the atmospheric buildings and replaces them with luxury condos.

Private beach? I hope the property isn't bought by a greedy developer who tears down all the atmospheric buildings and replaces them with luxury condos.
Or a golf course!

Seriously though, that's insane - why only £125,000?

I would buy it... just unfortunate I'm a wee bit skint right now.

It happens from time to time, just depends on how the market fluctuates...

0_The-Barras-Apr-85-1_resize_85.jpg

The poltergeist story is definitely real. I know a policeman who was involved and he said it was bonkers. Think the dog ended up floating onto the hedge at one point?!
Seemingly it kept up when the woman abs her son moved in with the gran, but stopped after a priest did an exorcism. Crazy stuff!
Hello Firefly - so do you know, did the weirdness continue at the gran's house, or the original house?

Or a golf course!

Seriously though, that's insane - why only £125,000?

I would buy it... just unfortunate I'm a wee bit skint right now.

It happens from time to time, just depends on how the market fluctuates...

I'm not 100% sure why the price is so low, but I do recall the last time that it came up for sale (~5 years ago?) and seem to remember that the land is protected from any development. So the £125,000 buys the 3.31 acres of land; but you can't build a house on it,

Actually had to scratch the above out, as the property listing here (complete with photos and maps) suggests that there is a "Grass paddock with potential planning opportunity" - I'm pretty sure that previously it was made clear that building on the property was not allowed. Maybe the estate agents just think that a future owner might be able to get that overturned or maybe the owner since it last sold managed to progress some way down the route of getting permission to build? :dunno:

The forgotten village on Loch Tay is haunted by the ghost of soothsayer Lady of Lawers who foresaw death and destruction.
The only previous forums' mention regarding the 'Lady of Lawers', seems to be this and ensuing contributions:

Post in thread 'Scotland' https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/scotland.20519/post-678119

Have to admit, like our Scottish pyramid, this is newfound Fortean material for myself and there's helpful background in the following article:

'The Lady of Lawers’ prophecies have been coming true for three centuries

The Scots Magazine

MOST villages have at least one meddlesome resident. The old village of Lawers was no different, except it turned out that their meddler was always right.

In the late 17th century, the Lady of Lawers lived in this Perthshire settlement on the banks of Loch Tay. Her real name has been long forgotten, but her eerie prophecies are remembered to this day.

The building of the local church in 1669 worried her particularly. She watched as its ridging stones arrived by boat, telling everyone they would “never be placed on the roof of the church”. They no doubt had a wee chuckle behind her back, but the Lady of Lawers had the last laugh when a storm blew the stones into the loch.

(...)

When an ash tree was planted beside the church, the Lady foretold that ”when it reaches the height of the gable, the church will split asunder”.

In 1833, when the tree was indeed the height of the gable, a thunder-storm destroyed the church.

(...)

Old Lawers village is now a Scheduled Ancient Monument. The Lady of Lawers is said to haunt the site, waiting for one of her unfulfilled prophecies to come true: “The time will come when Ben Lawers will become so cold that it will chill and waste the land for seven miles.” So take a scarf and gloves, just in case!

https://www.scotsmagazine.com/articles/series/the-lady-of-lawers/

The Lady of Lawers is said to haunt the site, waiting for one of her unfulfilled prophecies to come true: “The time will come when Ben Lawers will become so cold that it will chill and waste the land for seven miles.
:eek:

Should I cross-post this to the 'global warming/cooling' thread!

Back