• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Some Short Stories

王泥喜法介

Devoted Cultist
Long time no see. I have started my PhD at the University of Edinburgh since the end of last year. After enrolling, I find my English should be intensively sharpened.

Today, I'd like to share some short stories I hear from my roommates and classmates before.

The first one is called "gamble ghost". In northeastern China, a young man was addicted to gambling. He could not live without this. One night, he had finished his game and ran home. When crossing a small hill, he heard that three people were playing majiang, which is a popular game in China. After hearing it, the young man could not stop joining this game. Probably because of the same interest, the three accepted his attendance happily, so the four played the game.

The young guy found himself so lucky because he could piece together some unusual pairs which rated high rewards. Because of this, the young guy did not want to leave but enjoy winning notes. A few hours later, the other three complained that they were so unlucky today and wanted to go. So the young guy had to stop and returned.

After arriving at home, the young guy told his parents that he had earned a lot in the gamble with the three in the returning. And he picked up the notes he won from his pocket. However, he was surprised when he noticed that what he was holding were not notes but a few tree leaves.

The second story is called "The safe room". This story occurred in the Taiwan region. As a mountainous island, hiking is so popular in Taiwan, but hiking in Taiwan is also much more dangerous than other places, perhaps because of the typhoon or other reasons. To protect hikers, the local government built a few rooms for the hikers. In these rooms, you can find pots, firewoods, water and some instant food. For convenience, the cabin remains open when nobody there, and the door could be shut inside. Hikers usually prefer to stay overnight in the rooms afterwards.

One afternoon, a hikers team called it a day and arrived at a safe room. They opened their sleep bags and cooked the dinner. Shortly later, it started raining and winding. All members of this team were glad that they came into the room so in time. After having dinner, all members went to sleep quickly because they were exhausted almost.

After a moment, they heard someone was knocking on the door. A member got up to open the door and found a few people outside. The previous team thought the newcomers were also hikers as well as themselves, so some members moved their sleep bags to leave enough space for the newcomers. The several newcomers were also very considerate; they did not make any noise but sat on the floor quietly. A member of the previous team wanted to share some boiling water to the newcomers but found them so indifferent.

Next morning, the hiking team woke up and found the newcomers had gone. When the team prepared to leave, the member who had shared boiling water suddenly shouted. He pointed out some photos on the wall and told others that one guy in the picture was a newcomer last night. And the photos were the victims who died in hiking across this mountain.

The third story is called "the hole". This story sounds remotely reliable, but I still want to post here for your information. I heard this story from a classmate in primary school. The role in the story is a girl who lived in a town near my school. One day, the girl forgot to take her keys when she went to school. After leaving school, she could not enter her home but walked around to wait for her parents. However, she noticed that there was a noise in her home. It sounded like a conversation, but there should be nobody in at this moment.

The girl lifted a few bricks to make her could see what was happening through the window. She saw that a few seniors were sitting on the sofa and discussing something. More surprisingly, the head of this group was her grandfather, who had passed away a few years ago, so why she could see him now. The girl was so scary but continued to observe there.

In her words, all discussion was not understandable but the last one. At the end of the conversation, her grandfather said that we should call it a day now and return to where we should. Then, her grandfather pointed to this ground, and a hole appeared there. Then, all creatures in the room jumped in this hole, and the hole disappeared soon later.

Last edited:
Long time no see. I have started my PhD at the University of Edinburgh since the end of last year. After enrolling, I find my English should be intensively sharpened.

Today, I'd like to share some short stories I hear from my roommates and classmates before.

The first one is called "gamble ghost". In northeastern China, a young man was addicted to gambling. He could not live without this. One night, he had finished his game and ran home. When crossing a small hill, he heard that three people were playing majiang, which is a popular game in China. After hearing it, the young man could not stop joining this game. Probably because of the same interest, the three accepted his attendance happily, so the four played the game.

The young guy found himself so lucky because he could piece together some unusual pairs which rated high rewards. Because of this, the young guy did want to leave but enjoy winning notes. A few hours later, the other three complained that they were so unlucky today and wanted to go. So the young guy had to stop and returned.

After arriving at home, the young guy told his parents that he had earned a lot in the gamble with the three in the returning. And he picked up the notes he won from his pocket. However, he was surprised when he noticed that what he was holding were not notes but a few tree leaves.

The second story is called "The safe room". This story occurred in the Taiwan region. As a mountainous island, hiking is so popular in Taiwan, but hiking in Taiwan is also much more dangerous than other places, perhaps because of the typhoon or other reasons. To protect hikers, the local government build a few rooms for the hikers. In these rooms, you can find pot, firewoods, water and some instance food. For convenience, the cabin remains open when nobody there, and the door could be shut inside. Hikers usually prefer to stay overnight in the rooms afterwards.

One afternoon, a hikers team called it a day and arrived at a safe room. They opened their sleep bags and cooked the dinner. Shortly later, it started raining and winding. All members of this team were glad that they came into the room so in time. After having dinner, all members went to sleep quickly because they were exhausted almost.

After a moment, they heard someone was knocking on the door. A member got up to open the door and found a few people outside. The previous team thought the newcomers were also hikers as well as themselves, so some members moved their sleep bags to leave enough space for the newcomers. The several newcomers were also very considerate; they did not make any noise but sat on the floor quietly. A member of the previous team wanted to share some boiling water to the newcomers but found them so indifferent.

Next morning, the hiking team woke up and found the newcomers had gone. When the team prepared to leave, the member who had shared boiling water suddenly shouted. He pointed out some photos on the wall and told others that one guy in the picture was a newcomer last night. And the photos were the victims who died in hiking across this mountain.

The third story is called "the hole". This story sounds remotely reliable, but I still want to post here for your information. I heard this story from a classmate in primary school. The role in the story is a girl who lived in a town near my school. One day, the girl forgot to take her keys when she went to school. After leaving school, she could not enter her home but walked around to wait for her parents. However, she noticed that there was a noise in her home. It sounded like a conversation, but there should be nobody in at this moment.

The girl lifted a few bricks to make her could see what was happening through the window. She saw that a few seniors were sitting on the sofa and discussing something. More surprisingly, the head of this group was her grandfather. However, her father had passed a few years ago, so why she could see him now. The girl was so scary but continued to observe there.

In her words, all discussion was not understandable but the last one. At the end of the conversation, her grandfather said that we should call it a day now and return to where we should. Then, her grandfather pointed to this ground, and a hole appeared there. Then, all creatures in the room jumped in this hold, and the hole disappeared soon later.

Happy you are back, @王泥喜法介 ! We were getting worried about you :)

How are you finding life in bonny Scotland?

Back