• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Somebody Else Saw What I Saw Years Later

rexmundy

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
When I was about 11 years old and living on a farm in Oklahoma (I am now forty eight and live in England) I had a very clear UFO sighting. I believe I have even left a posting about it on the FT message boards somewhere but wouldn't know where to find it now

Edit: See here for original account:
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/childhood-sighting.6275/#post-127507

Anyway, the point is that I never really told more than about five people what I saw over the next nearly 40 years, and had very carefully never told ANYONE about a certain aspect of the sighting. I eventually posted on this forum to see if anybody else could come up with a similar sighting, but I kept that certain detail secret and never told anybody of it because I always wanted to see if anybody came up with an exact description of what I saw without knowing the exact details of my own sighting.

Well now all these years later I can say that I have finally found another witness report describing exactly what I saw. This isn't a new sighting but it is new to me because I had never come across it before. It seems to have happened some years after my own sighting and not in the same locality. Here is the web address of the report:

http://www.ufoevidence.org/cases/case583.htm

All I can say now is that I believe someone saw the same thing as I did which to me shows well enough that we saw SOMETHING alike. I was already interested in UFO's as a kid when I had this sighting and I ran into the house to get my camera to try to take a picture of it but was unsuccessful. There's more to that bit of the story as well but it's not important here.

The thing is that at the time it looked all too "man made" for my liking. As a kid you WANT to see a spacecraft from another world with strange beings aboard. I can't really describe why, but it just didn't really SEEM like some spacecraft from outer space, which over the years got me to wondering even more about things like time traveling humans coming back for a look (archaeological tourism?) or secret (possibly military) projects and things of that nature. I still think about alien intelligences that might contact us, or us contacting them at some future point, but nowadays I am far less inclined to entertain the possibility of such beings looking anything like humans or being transported in such a way, but that's all too lengthy to go into here.

I still don't really know what to make of it but at least after all these years I finally know that somebody else has seen it (or a very similar type of "it") as well, and that somehow makes me feel much better.

Last edited by a moderator:
What was the secret detail about this sighting that was shared by your own sighting that convinced you? (If you don't mind me asking).

So what was the detail that both incidents had in common?
Edit: Sorry gncxx, you posted whilst I was dithering.

First thing to say is that A.G. MacNamara's comments: "The objects were most likely the planet Jupiter, which is quite brilliant. It appears about midnight in mid‑October and is near the Mediterranean Sea. Saturn and several other bright stars are also visible in the Eastern sky at this hour of the night" are obvious bollocks. What does the Med (mere thousands of miles from anywhere else on Earth) have to do with Jupiter or Saturn, which are many millions of miles away from this planet?

I may comment more later.... 8)

Yes, it does seem like a stupid thing to say, even for a debunker!

From the Clarenville report:

"The object also cast a shadow on the water,so he knew that what he was seeing was not a satellite or distant plant [sic] like Venus"

The 'water' is just east of Clarenville, btw, an arm of the sea which cuts off Random Island. More open water, Trinity Bay, lies about 20 miles away, to the east of Random I.

But it's not clear what's meant here. If the UFO was illuminated by the Moon, for example, then maybe it would cast a shadow on the sea.

Unfortunately, the time of the sighting is not given, only the date.

Using 2000 H local time, and and the Lat/Long of Clarenville, Heavens Above shows no moon or planets in the sky.

An hour later, Jupiter is just rising, roughly NE.

At Midnight, Saturn is about to rise, in the ENE.

By 4 am, Jupiter is high in the S, with Saturn in the SE sky, and the waning moon is about to rise.

An hour later, Venus is about to rise. These four objects track across the sky in the usual way, and then the Sun rises sometime after 0730.

Jupiter (near opposition) would have been the brightest object for most of the night, but probably Venus would have been brighter later on.

None of this really clarifies 'the shadow on the water'. A crescent moon wouldn't cast much shadow, and would more likely have been mentioned in the witness reports, so I guess we can put the time at before 4 am.

But if MacNamara's comments about Jupiter and Saturn have any relevance, the sighting could have been prior to 0500 H, as Venus isn't mentioned.

If the report meant the object cast a reflection in the water, then both Jupiter and Venus are potential candidates.

Or were the UFO's lights casting a shadow of something else?

All in all, the information as given is inadequate.

And I couldn't find Rexmundy's earlier FTMB post about his UFO either... :(

Still, it was fun doing this bit of research! (Thanks to GoogleEarth and HA!)

the detail I never mentioned

The detail I never told anybody about was the hooked or curved looking "fin" thing at one end of the object. My sighting was on a bright, clear sunny summer's day and the object looked to be no more than a couple of hundred feet away just over a ploughed field near some trees (maybe about 50 feet higher than them) but in plain view, doing nothing. The object was basically mostly of a brushed aluminum sort of colour, not glinting like shiny steel or anything and not emitting any light or sound or anything, and basically looked exactly as described in that sighting on that website. The drawing is basically identical to what I drew myself immediately after seeing the object. Unfortunately after all this time I have no idea where that drawing went but the mental picture has never gone away.

The only difference I can tell is that on the one I saw back in like 1971 the other end of the shape, opposite from the "fin" end, was of a rosey red colour that gradually faded into the silvery grey colour about a fifth of the way along it's length.

Anyway, I never mentioned the curved fin looking thing on one end of it until now since I've finally discovered that somebody else saw the same thing apparently a few years after I did. I would still be interested to know if there are other examples of this thing in sighting reports but as it took me nearly 40 years to find this one I won't hold my breath.

What makes you so sure it wasn't an air ship or an advertising blimp?

Ronson8 said:
What makes you so sure it wasn't an air ship or an advertising blimp?
Poor advertising if no-one can make it out! ;)

no airship or blimp

Although it vaguely appears to be the right shape for an airship of some sort there are a number of factors that rule this out.

Firstly, it was observed by both myself and the other parties in the other sighting quite closely and for a period of time and in conditions where we were able to get a really good look at it. I seem to remember that in the other sighting it was also described as shooting off at great speed afterwards. And of course in the case of my own sighting there's absolutely no purpose for an advertising airship of some sort over a wheat field miles from anywhere in the middle of farmland. The fin thingy that was reported in both our reports was quite a notable part of the sighting as it was really quite large and I have never seen anything like it. There's more to this story anyway but that's not for here.

I do agree that many people misjudge things as a UFO sighting and I have always been rather skeptical myself of many such reports. "Lights in the sky" and such things just don't cut it for me. Whatever this thing was it was apparently seen for a bit longer by the other parties in the other sighting, and it's also significant that there was more than one person involved at that time. I believe we witnessed the same"thing", or the same SORT of thing, on different occasions and in different places. The question I have is, what was it and has anybody else anywhere reported another one like it? I'll probably never know WHAT it was, but I do wonder if it or one like it has been reported elsewhere.

This could have been some sort of aerostat, being used for scientific research or some other sort of surveying, or for military purposes or training. Aerostats are (usually) tethered balloons, carrying payloads
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerostat
and there are innumerable designs, many of which are one-offs. I saw one on TV yesterday taking aerial photos of archaeological sites; this one had been home-made by the archaeologists.

Of course that doesn't explain the object moving away rapidly at the end of the sighting, but that might have been observation error.

having a 1970's cigar

A bit of internet searching reveals a few more similar descriptions of cigar shaped UFOs sporting a fin. In my sighting (back in the 1970's) the hooked "fin" stuck up at least double if not triple the height of the main body, the base of the fin being located at one end of the cigar shape and being much wider at the point where it was "attached" to the cigar shaped body, the base of the fin looking to be about a fifth of the length of the cigar shaped main body. It stuck up vertically, curving forward, and seemed to come to a point pointing along the main body of the cigar shape towards the other end (which was reddish colored, see main description).

As I said the "fin" bit was quite large and hooked forward in a sort of shallow "C" shape although I can't really vouch for which end of the object really was the forward end, so for my descriptions I just assume the red bit as the nose and the fin being on the tail end, much like what a big airliner would look like without wings and it's tail fin much bigger and hooked forward. And yes an airliner seen sideways would look very similar (and this has been suggested as an explanation) but that is not what this was. I had a very clear, good look at this object (see original sighting) and apparently so did the other witnesses as mentioned above whom I believe saw the identical TYPE of thing some years later.

I have always though that it did look rather man-made for some reason, that it had a very human engineering look about it for some reason and that has always kept the niggling thought in the back of my mind that this was some military craft or something. I would love to find an actual photograph from another source of a similar object if for no other reason than to be satisfied that what I saw was seen by others.

All these years after the fact I don't suppose there's much to be gained in rehashing the sighting over and over, but I am still interested in other people's sightings of something similar. I know in my own mind what I saw and I do not in any way question it's reality or require any form of proof that I wasn't imagining things. I'm as sure of this sighting even after all these years as I am that I got a green bicycle for my 12th birthday (something else I'm not likely to ever forget).

It's just that I still lean toward the notion that what I actually saw might not be from outside the bounds of this planet or of human endeavor. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. All I know is that I believe I am not alone in having seen it, and I am happy to have had that special rare opportunity, and for some reason that makes me feel better. I may never know what exactly it was but at least I know I wasn't the only one to see it (or something very like it).

I would probably be happy to discuss this further with any interested parties.

Back