Something New Every Day: Random & Newly Found Facts

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
I remember a few people complaining when Collins played the titled lead in BUSTER because they felt it was turning one of the great train robbers into a loveable cheeky folk hero. That put a few people off him.
Had forgotten about that... makes more sense now! Thanks. :)

Not a fan of genesis but I saw a documentary about them the other day through being unable to summon the energy to switch channels, and the thing that struck me was how unpleasant the keyboard player was. He clearly considered Genesis "his" band, and seethed with resentment about Gabriel's and Collins' solo success, and you could tell Gabriel still hadn't forgiven him. Collins and the rest came over very well in comparison.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Not a fan of genesis but I saw a documentary about them the other day through being unable to summon the energy to switch channels, and the thing that struck me was how unpleasant the keyboard player was. He clearly considered Genesis "his" band, and seethed with resentment about Gabriel's and Collins' solo success, and you could tell Gabriel still hadn't forgiven him. Collins and the rest came over very well in comparison.
Tony Banks.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Random fact that seems appropriate within this conversation: Phil's actor daughter Lily Collins auditioned for and was accepted for the role of Mia in Fede Alvarez's Evil Dead 2013 release remake but then turned it down after realising what it would physically involve. Fair enough, you're not going to get Hollywood easy treatment in any Raimi/Campell ED film and they don't hide that fact.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
One thing which can't be denied about Phil Collins, like him or not, & I'm in no way a fan, he's a great drummer. Effective enough singer as well. Of course he might be a complete arse on top of that..

How he got away with not being sued for blatantly stealing the Sussulio riff from Prince's 1999 is a mystery.

INT21

Antediluvian
Something like that.

I mean, who couldn't like Genesis ? He'll be claiming he doesn't like ABBA next.

INT21

Antediluvian
Verbal Earthworm,

I'm not too keen on Phil Collins as a lead singer.

And I have to admit that for a long time I thought 'Solsbury Hill' was sung by Collins. Apologies to Peter Gabriel.

It's a good song though.

But I think the band as a whole is good.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Pineapples were once so rare and jaw-droppingly expensive that you could rent one by the hour to form the centrepiece at a sophisticated dinner.

Columbus brought them back from the Caribbean in 1493 and Europeans became besotted with their exotic flavour. However, it wasn’t until the mid-seventeenth century that the richest families could afford the heated and humidified greenhouses that enabled their growth in Europe.

Here’s a picture of Charles II being presented with a pineapple by his gardener:

The Man from Del Monte, he say, “Yes, your maj”! ”

Pineapples as a symbol of luxury, wealth and opulence crop up in all sorts of contexts in the 17th and 18th centuries. Here’s a lady’s pistol with a pineapple engraved on its sideplate:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/65506/super-luxe-history-pineapples-and-why-they-used-cost-8000

maximus otter

Verbal Earthworm

Ephemeral Spectre

Ermintruder

Delineated by a professional cryptozoologist
Thanks for that (corrected by edit)

But, then again:
Wiki said:
Per quod is a Latin phrase (meaning whereby) used to illustrate that the existence of a thing or an idea is on the basis of external circumstances not explicitly known or stated
ps not only am I an unusual person: I am odder than I will ever know

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Verbal Earthworm,

I'm not too keen on Phil Collins as a lead singer.

And I have to admit that for a long time I thought 'Solsbury Hill' was sung by Collins. Apologies to Peter Gabriel.

It's a good song though.

But I think the band as a whole is good.
Personally I can't stand either Collins' or Gabriel's voice and never took to Pink Floyd either because of Gilmour's and Waters' awful singing. I could do better myself.

That's the problem with being a young heavy rock chick - you expect a certain quality of vocals.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I have noticed that they both have distinctive voices and yet can sound strangely similar. :crazy:
My personal description of their singing is 'eggy' voices. Collins has a more 'eggy' voice than Gabriel's.
No, don't ask me to explain what I mean.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Yes indeed :) mid 1980s when I was in research, we constructed something similar of cardboard, taped up with black tape against the light. Used my Nikon FE on a tripod and bracketed everything multiple times to try to get the one sweet shot. And then had to dash into town to the chemist, wait several hours or overnight to see if we'd got it!

Edit to add that Mr Frideswide has reminded me we called it The Snoot!

Last edited:

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Yes indeed :) mid 1980s when I was in research, we constructed something similar of cardboard, taped up with black tape against the light. Used my Nikon FE on a tripod and bracketed everything multiple times to try to get the one sweet shot. And then had to dash into town to the chemist, wait several hours or overnight to see if we'd got it!
Well I don't think we give whoever invented the 'print screen' button enough credit.
'Eggy'

That's a word I don't think I've heard since school.
That was a word at my school too, it meant 'angry' and I always thought it was local to the area.