Something New Every Day: Random & Newly Found Facts

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
This has several surprises for me. Is this kind of information known to Americans themselves? ...
Yes - if they bother to look or happen to see the occasional news item on this sort of subject.

If you remove the two most commonly spoken languages (English and Spanish) it leaves you with the language most widely spoken in-home based on either:

- a sizable remaining population of Native Americans (Alaska; Arizona; New Mexico; South Dakota);
- geographic proximity to an adjacent region with significant non-English / Spanish language use (Maine: New Hampshire; Vermont); or
- the historical residue from a past or recent wave of settling / immigration (all the rest).

It's important to bear in mind this particular survey addresses language spoken in the home rather than language spoken in the community at large.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Yes - if they bother to look or happen to see the occasional news item on this sort of subject.

If you remove the two most commonly spoken languages (English and Spanish) it leaves you with the language most widely spoken in-home based on either:

- a sizable remaining population of Native Americans (Alaska; Arizona; New Mexico; South Dakota);
- geographic proximity to an adjacent region with significant non-English / Spanish language use (Maine: New Hampshire; Vermont); or
- the historical residue from a past or recent wave of settling / immigration (all the rest).

It's important to bear in mind this particular survey addresses language spoken in the home rather than language spoken in the community at large.
I appreciate that.

It came up quite often in a discussion of why Hindi doesn't feature:

1) Being that some Indian families deliberately don't use their native language at home.
2) That many immigrants from Southern India have little knowledge of Hindi and use other Indian tongues.

The mystery being why we have 'Chinese' instead of Mandarin.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Somali and Nepali. There can't be that many of those in those states.
Yes there are ...

Somalis are an ethnic group in the Minneapolis–Saint Paul (Twin Cities) urban area and makes up the largest Somali diasporas in the US. As of 2016, there were around 74,000 Somalis in Minnesota.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Somalis_in_Minneapolis–Saint_Paul

The Nebrasks Nepali connection results from Nebraska having been the #1 resettlement state for Nepalis generally, with this Nepali population being greatly augmented by a similar concentration of Nepali-speaking Bhutanese refugees (who, as an ethnic group, were getting pushed out of Bhutan starting back in the late 1990's).

oxo66

Junior Acolyte
The mystery being why we have 'Chinese' instead of Mandarin.
'Chinese' is of course going to be shorthand for 'all Chinese languages'.
It could be difficult to get a breakdown depending on how much detail respondents typically supply.

Victory

Ephemeral Spectre
It is fairly well known that many Americans are of German origin, approx 13%).
But I am very surprised that German as a language is still widely spoken by the six or seventh generation descendants of German immigrants in nine states.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
'Chinese' is of course going to be shorthand for 'all Chinese languages'.
It could be difficult to get a breakdown depending on how much detail respondents typically supply.
You're probably correct, but it seems inconsistent with their using Hmong.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
You're probably correct, but it seems inconsistent with their using Hmong.
The Hmong ascription for Wisconsin results from the fact there are over a quarter million ethnic Hmong / Hmong Americans in the USA. This Hmong influx began in the 1970's with a stream of refugees from Laos and Vietnam. Wisconsin has the 3rd largest Hmong population of any US state (over 49,000), but apparently it's the state in which Hmong language use (at home) is more common than use of any other language besides English and Spanish.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Waiting and watching and seeking a sign..

Timble2

Imaginary Person
A quick ‘n dirty way to test how much life is left in your AA batteries is to drop them, on their long axis, onto a hard surface.

A discharged, “flat”, battery bounces higher than a charged, useful, battery:

maximus otter
Wouldn't you have to know how high a charged battery bounces, to determine if the flat battery bounces higher?

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
On the thread ‘Films that would not get made today’, I was going to say Holiday On The Buses. Then I remembered the fact that Reg Varney was the first person in Britain to use a cashpoint machine in Britain. Which is only slightly more interesting as a post.

View attachment 18745
Look at those Dolly Birds watching him about to spend his wad.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Look at those Dolly Birds watching him about to spend his wad.
Confessions of an Early Withdrawer.”

It’s hard to believe that l can remember a time when, in order to withdraw a tenner of walking-round money, l had to find a bank, queue up and write a cheque for it.

maximus otter

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
The odds of getting attacked and killed by a shark are 1 in 3,748,067. In a lifetime, you are more likely to die from fireworks (1 in 340,733), lightning (1 in 79,746), drowning (1 in 1,134), a car accident (1 in 84), stroke (1 in 24), or heart disease (1 in 5). There are 70 to 100 shark attacks worldwide every year, 5 to 15 result in death.

https://www.thewildlifemuseum.org/exhibits/sharks/odds-of-a-shark-attack/

Coal

Polymath Renaissance Man, Italian Wiccan Anarchist
The odds of getting attacked and killed by a shark are 1 in 3,748,067. In a lifetime, you are more likely to die from fireworks (1 in 340,733), lightning (1 in 79,746), drowning (1 in 1,134), a car accident (1 in 84), stroke (1 in 24), or heart disease (1 in 5). There are 70 to 100 shark attacks worldwide every year, 5 to 15 result in death.

https://www.thewildlifemuseum.org/exhibits/sharks/odds-of-a-shark-attack/
True, but only if you are in the water...the odds against a shark related death are rather better on dry land ;)

Bad Bungle

King of the Trilobites