Something New Every Day: Random & Newly Found Facts

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
In case you were fretting about the number of millionaires among us, here's the latest tally. Overall, there are more people with (arguably) too much, but certain areas saw a decrease in the excessively-monied (sorry, Australia & UK).
Credit Suisse: Number of millionaires in the world increases to 46.8 million

The number of millionaires in the world increased to 46.8 million in the past year, according to a study released Monday.

The world added 1.1 million millionaires from the middle of 2018 to the middle of 2019 with the United States leading the way by adding 675,000 new millionaires during that period, Credit Suisse Research Institute's Global Wealth Report found. ...
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-...-increases-to-468-million/4941571699818/?sl=1

MORE DETAILED INFO @ CREDIT SUISSE:
https://www.credit-suisse.com/about...al-wealth-rises-by-2-6--driven-by-201910.html

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
When I was an active lad in Lincolnshire there was a rumour that there were twice as many women than males in Nottingham - there never seemed to be when we took the effort to go there though.
No way... mate spend some time working in Nottingham circa 80s, said I had to come down as there were three girls to every guy!

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Learn all of the new words and phrases first used in print in the year of your birth here.
My birth year saw a bumper crop of words added to the public vocabulary - enough to be ordered so as to comprise a reasonable, if sketchy, autobiographical summary.

Here's the time line:

launching pad
meat and potatoes
nerd
grade point
aw-shucks
dayglow
epiphanic
hyperawareness
hip-shooting
midcourse
front and center
hup
barn burner
cybernetician
trailblazing
psywar
slippery slope
sleep-in
double whammy
wrap-up
winner's circle
opt out

If that's too lengthy ... It can be summed up with another new term from that year:

Murphy's Law

:evillaugh:

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
What's not amusing, is that I was only recently party to a delicious haggis themed dinner and wondered about the origins. Seems that our haggis was allegedly first described in a recipe 132 years later than... ...in an English cook book. Obviously some mistake there, eh....

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Learn all of the new words and phrases first used in print in the year of your birth here.

Me?

Cosmonaut.
Microwave oven.
Peking duck.
Split end.
Weirdo.

maximus otter
Some surprises for me...

Beta-blocker
Biohazard
Dork
Game face
Hippie
Jet lag
Megabyte
Pop art
S and M
Teenybopper
Ugly American
Xerox

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Well, that was interesting!

Hipsterism
Scumbag
Magic Mushrooms
Flick-knife
Warts-and-all

The last phrase is attributed to Oliver Cromwell usually. I am not quite that old!

:omr:

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Some surprises for me...

Beta-blocker
Biohazard
Dork
Game face
Hippie
Jet lag
Megabyte
Pop art
S and M
Teenybopper
Ugly American
Xerox
Merseybeat
Beatlemania
Rockers
Disco! (That's my exclam)
The charts (as in the top 20)
Glue sniffing
Mandrax (what with the glue, that's an evening out...)
Mind-expanding (not surprised given the above two...)
ASCII
Source code
Dot matrix
Electronic publishing
Disk drive (US spelling from Merriam-Webster)
Baby-boomers
Flexible response
Space walk
REM sleep (and non-REM sleep)
Sexism (it wasn't me)
Disco

Fascinating - these are from the OED, Merriam-Webster and the Reader's Digest, so they've gotta be true!

Kryptonite

Stanley Unwin enthusiasty. Deep joy!
It claims the phrase "blood and guts" was first coined in 1975. I'd dispute that though - the first issue of Marvel's Silver Surfer solo comic from 1968 credits the artist as John 'Blood n' Guts' Buscema, so it seems to have been in use since at least then.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Thomas de Mahy

Thomas de Mahy, marquis de Favras (March 26, 1744 – February 19, 1790) was a French aristocrat and supporter of the House of Bourbon during the French Revolution. Often seen as a martyr of the Royalist cause, Favras was executed for his part in "planning against the people of France" and is known for saying "I see that you have made three spelling mistakes" upon reading his death sentence warrant.

SOURCE:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_de_Mahy,_marquis_de_Favras