Something New Every Day: Random & Newly Found Facts

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
This beautiful piece of writing uses the Avestan script, a form of writing developed in 3rd to 4th century to transcribe Zoroastrian scripture. This example is from Westergaard's "Zendavesta" (1852-4). The script runs right to left and has 53 characters in order to accurately mirror the pronunciation of the liturgy, absolute precision being required to ensure efficacy, it is thought.

EQzVnPuW4AE3M-X.jpeg

(No, this isn't upside-down).

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
This beautiful piece of writing uses the Avestan script, a form of writing developed in 3rd to 4th century to transcribe Zoroastrian scripture. This example is from Westergaard's "Zendavesta" (1852-4). The script runs right to left and has 53 characters in order to accurately mirror the pronunciation of the liturgy, absolute precision being required to ensure efficacy, it is thought.

View attachment 23250

(No, this isn't upside-down).
Nice .. it looks a bit middle eastern.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
The sounds caused by dropping a chunk of ice down a 450-foot-deep drill hole in the Antarctic ice sheet aren't what you'd expect ...
Weird Video of Scientists Dropping Ice Down a Super Deep Hole Is Totally Mesmerising

Imagine you're a scientist working in Antarctica.

You've suffered through freezing temperatures, drilled ice cores to understand more about our ancient planet, and of course, thrown some ice down a really deep hole to hear it go 'pew'. ...
SOURCE: https://www.sciencealert.com/here-s...-a-450-foot-hole-makes-this-super-weird-noise

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
I've just learned that garlic molecules are so small, if you rub garlic on the sole of your foot, about an hour later you will taste it in your mouth as it has permeated your skin and travelled up your blood stream ..

Have you tried the recent Internet trend of dipping your balls in soy sauce and seeing if you can 'taste' it? For the record, I have not.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Have you tried the recent Internet trend of dipping your balls in soy sauce and seeing if you can 'taste' it? For the record, I have not.
Please do so & report back. I think you'd have to leave them in for a while - say half an hour - I can't see a brief dip working satisfactorily. I think you'd need some time for it to happen.

I forsee a fortune to be made in flavoured underpants. Mint for that fresh as a mountain stream mouthfeel. Nicotine underpants for the smoker who wants to cut down. The market is huge.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Please do so & report back. I think you'd have to leave them in for a while - say half an hour - I can't see a brief dip working satisfactorily. I think you'd need some time for it to happen.

I forsee a fortune to be made in flavoured underpants. Mint for that fresh as a mountain stream mouthfeel. Nicotine underpants for the smoker who wants to cut down. The market is huge.
Especially if they're edible too, for the survivalists. campers and preppers!

Swifty

Have you tried the one where you shove a banana up your arse then wait half an hour, half an hour later you've still got a banana up your arse!? ..

Last edited:

INT21

Antediluvian
I've just learned that garlic molecules are so small, if you rub garlic on the sole of your foot, about an hour later you will taste it in your mouth as it has permeated your skin and travelled up your blood stream ..

And if you stick a certain popular drug up your bum Or swallow packets of it it) it will soon be detectable on the soles of your feet.

Swifty

And if you stick a certain popular drug up your bum Or swallow packets of it it) it will soon be detectable on the soles of your feet.
So by the logic so far, if I swallow some feet soles, I'll get some drugs probably or something ..

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
You've seen those YouTube videos (etc.) showing cars crashing into storefronts. It turns out this sort of accident happens more often in the USA than most people would suspect ...
Drivers crash their cars into buildings an astonishing 60 times per day on average — crashes that kill as many as 500 people every year, and injure at least 4,000 more, according to research from advocacy group the Storefront Safety Council.
FULL STORY: https://usa.streetsblog.org/2020/02/19/you-arent-even-safe-from-a-car-inside-a-building/

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
It's (a day past) the 54th anniversary of the last combat flight of Brigadier General James M. Stewart, USAF Reserve. Yes, that "Jimmy" Stewart.

I knew that he'd been a pilot in WWII, but I had no idea his career continued into the Vietnam War!

"20 February 1966: Brigadier General James M. Stewart, United States Air Force Reserve, flew the last combat mission of his military career, a 12 hour, 50 minute “Arc Light” bombing mission over Vietnam, aboard Boeing B-52 Stratofortress of the 736th Bombardment Squadron, 454th Bombardment Wing. His bomber was a B-52F-65-BW, serial number 57-149, call sign GREEN TWO. It was the number two aircraft in a 30-airplane bomber stream.

Brigadier General James M. (“Jimmy”) Stewart, USAFR (center) with the crew of B-52F Stratofortress 57-149, at Anderson Air Force Base, Guam, 20 February 1966.

Stewart flew as an observer on the Vietnam mission.

Full story here.

maximus otter

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
The last British Army base in Germany closed this week (Catterick Barracks, Bielefeld).

Although a small training contingent will stay in the country, all field and combat units are now gone.

It seems very odd to me that this isn't in the news much.

We have been there since 1945.

Victory

Abominable Snowman
I once dipped my balls
Those were SUGARLESS sweets. Techy and I once, well, twice, tried something similar. Yow.
Yes and @Mythopoeika am well aware those are sugarless Gummy Bears, but in my experience (and by the sounds of it your's too!) eating large quantities of sugared jelly sweets also causes a similar thing to happen.