Something New Every Day: Random & Newly Found Facts

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Yes and @Mythopoeika am well aware those are sugarless Gummy Bears, but in my experience (and by the sounds of it your's too!) eating large quantities of sugared jelly sweets also causes a similar thing to happen.
I won't be trying it, either for amusement or for scientific purposes.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I once dipped my balls

Yes and @Mythopoeika am well aware those are sugarless Gummy Bears, but in my experience (and by the sounds of it your's too!) eating large quantities of sugared jelly sweets also causes a similar thing to happen.
Naah, our self-inflicted trauma was due to the sugar-free version. We thought they'd be harmless. We were wrong.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
The word “quarantine” derives from the seventeenth-century Venetian dialect form of the Italian phrase quaranta giorni - “forty days”. This was the length of time during which incoming ships’ crews were required to remain offshore, in order to isolate themselves during that period’s outbreak of the Black Death.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarantine

maximus otter

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
The word “quarantine” derives from the seventeenth-century Venetian dialect form of the Italian phrase quaranta giorni - “forty days”. This was the length of time during which incoming ships’ crews were required to remain offshore, in order to isolate themselves during that period’s outbreak of the Black Death.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarantine

maximus otter
That's a brilliant fact to squirrel away.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
I suppose I did 'know' this, but it's fun to see in graphical form how heavily populated India is. ...
On a related note involving India ... This week's Indian government COVID lockdown edict set the stage for this not-so-fun fact ...
More People Are Now in 'Lockdown' Than Were Alive During World War II

In a single announcement on Tuesday, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi almost doubled the planet's tally of people who have been placed under lockdown to avoid the spread of the coronavirus.

His strict order to the nation's 1.3 billion people to stay home brings the global number of people under some form of lockdown to around 2.6 billion – one-third of the human population, according to Agence France-Presse. That's more humans than were even alive to witness World War II. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.sciencealert.com/one-th...ation-are-now-restricted-in-where-they-can-go

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
There was once an octopus with 96 tentacles!

octopus.jpg

This strange specimen is on permanent display at the Shima Marineland Aquarium in Japan. The octopus actually has 8 arms attached to its body, and the additional 84 tentacles are all extensions of those 8.

The 96-tentacled Common Octopus (Octopus vulgaris) was captured in 1998 in nearby Matoya Bay. It weighed 3.3 kilograms (about 7 lbs) and measured 90 centimeters (3 ft) long. Before dying 5 months after being placed in captivity, the creature laid eggs, making it the first known extra-tentacled octopus to do so in captivity. All the baby octopuses hatched with the normal number of tentacles, but unfortunately they only survived a month.

Currently there is no theory that fully explains the surplus tentacles, although speculation maintains the oddity to be the result of abnormal regeneration that occurred after the octopus suffered some sort of injury.

https://everythingoctopus.blogspot.com/2009/04/octopus-with-96-tentacles.html

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
There was once an octopus with 96 tentacles!

View attachment 24514

This strange specimen is on permanent display at the Shima Marineland Aquarium in Japan. The octopus actually has 8 arms attached to its body, and the additional 84 tentacles are all extensions of those 8.

The 96-tentacled Common Octopus (Octopus vulgaris) was captured in 1998 in nearby Matoya Bay. It weighed 3.3 kilograms (about 7 lbs) and measured 90 centimeters (3 ft) long. Before dying 5 months after being placed in captivity, the creature laid eggs, making it the first known extra-tentacled octopus to do so in captivity. All the baby octopuses hatched with the normal number of tentacles, but unfortunately they only survived a month.

Currently there is no theory that fully explains the surplus tentacles, although speculation maintains the oddity to be the result of abnormal regeneration that occurred after the octopus suffered some sort of injury.

https://everythingoctopus.blogspot.com/2009/04/octopus-with-96-tentacles.html
Imagine how long it would take Ray Harryhausen to animate that!

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Migingo is a 2,000-square-metre (0.49 acre) island in Lake Victoria. The island was the centre of a low-level territorial dispute between Kenya and Uganda and is extremely densely populated.

[...]

The island has a population of about 131 (according to the 2009 census), mostly fishermen and fish traders, who are served by four pubs, a number of brothels, and a pharmacy on the island. It has a density of more than 65,500 people per square kilometer which makes it one of the most populated islands in Africa and the world.

c3kuqxga96p41.jpg

Brothels? Plural?

Full Article:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migingo_Island

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers

escargot

Disciple of Marduk

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
That happened in Germany a few years back I recall, Police found rotting heads everywhere ? (my memory cannot be trusted at the moment without a link)
It can happen by accident too -

Freezer failure ends couple's hopes of life after death

R
aymond Martinot and his wife were the toast of the world cryonics movement. For years they were France's best preserved corpses, lying in a freezer in a chateau in the Loire valley, in the hope that modern science could one day bring them back to life.

But the French couple's journey into the future ended prematurely when, 22 years after his mother's body was put into cold storage, their son discovered the freezer unit had broken down and they had started to thaw.
It's a fascinating article!
No unpaid power bill though so I'll have to look a bit harder.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
The world's earliest recorded use of the F-word* lies in a Scottish manuscript penned by a bored student who was in lockdown due to the plague.

A documentary airing on Tuesday will show off the Bannatyne Manuscript, which dates back to 1568 and is kept under lock and key in the National Library of Scotland.

Dating back to the 16th century, the Bannatyne Manuscript is a collection of poems written by George Bannatyne, while he was a bored student locked in his Edinburgh home due to the plague.

The manuscript contains William Dunbar's epic poem The Flyting of Dunbar and Kennedie, in which two poets trade insults with one another. As the pair trade blows, Kennedy brands Dunbar a 'wan fukkit funling'.

In the documentary, Dr Joanna Kopaczyk, a historical linguistics at Glasgow University tells viewers: 'In the Flyting of Dunbar and Kennedy, when Kennedy addresses Dunbar, there is the earliest surviving record of the word 'f***' in the world.

'It might never quite make the tourist trail, but here in the National Library we have the first written 'f***' in the world. I think that's something to be proud of'.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...anuscript-written-bored-Scottish-student.html

* Wikipedia disagrees.

maximus otter

Last edited: