Something New Every Day: Random & Newly Found Facts

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I just discovered that there are penguins north of the Equator.

Playing Trivial Pursuit online with friends yesterday (we won), we had the question what type of animals are chinstrap, Galapagos and macaroni? Now I know that macaroni is a species of penguin, but - knowing how far north the Galapagos Islands are (we have a world map on our bathroom wall for revising!) - I couldn't conceive of penguins living that far north, so guessed finch instead. Hey ho. We'll know next time.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
The Victoria Cross is the UK’s highest award for military gallantry. 1,358 have been awarded since it was instituted in 1856.

Only 2 have ever been granted solely or mainly on evidence provided by the enemy.

a) Lt. Cmdr. Gerard Broadmead Roope RN:

“On 8 April 1940, in the Norwegian Sea, the destroyer HMS Glowworm (1,345 tons), commanded by Lt-Cdr Roope, engaged two enemy destroyers while heading alone to Norway's West Fjord. After one of the enemy ships was hit, they both broke off and retreated to the north.

Though aware that the enemy destroyers were attempting to draw him towards German capital ships, he gave chase. Glowworm soon spotted the German cruiser Admiral Hipper (14,000 tons). He alerted the Home Fleet before turning to engage the cruiser.

Glowworm fired ten torpedoes but scored no hits and was soon battered by enemy rounds and set on fire. With only three guns still firing, the heavily damaged destroyer ended up ramming the cruiser, gouging open several holes in her hull and destroying her forward starboard torpedo mounting. Glowworm then fired one more salvo, scoring a hit, before she capsized and sank.

Of the crew of 149, one officer and 30 men survived and were chivalrously picked up by the Admiral Hipper. Lt-Cdr Roope drowned in the course of assisting the rescue of survivors.

The Admiral Hipper's commander, Kapitän zur See Hellmuth Heye, wrote to the British authorities via the Red Cross, recommending award of the VC for his opponent's courage in engaging a vastly superior warship.”

b)
Flying Officer Lloyd Trigg RNZAF:

“He was flying his first operational flight in a Liberator V over the Atlantic from his base at Yundumn, West Africa (now Banjul, The Gambia), when on 11 August 1943 he engaged the German submarine U-468 under the command of Oberleutnant Klemens Schamong. His aircraft received several catastrophic hits from the submarine's anti-aircraft guns during its approach to the submarine and was on fire as Trigg made his final attack.

After dropping its depth charges, Trigg's Liberator crashed 300 yards behind its victim, killing Trigg and his crew. The only witnesses to Trigg's actions were the U-boat crew members.

The badly damaged U-boat sank soon after the attack but a small group of survivors (including Schamong) were spotted by an RAF Short Sunderland of No. 204 Squadron in the dinghy of the crashed Liberator, drifting off the coast of West Africa. They were rescued by a Royal Navy vessel HMS Clakia the next day, and the German crew reported the incident, recommending Trigg be decorated for his bravery.”

There were giants in the earth in those days...”

maximus otter

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
The Victoria Cross is the UK’s highest award for military gallantry. 1,358 have been awarded since it was instituted in 1856.

Only 2 have ever been granted solely or mainly on evidence provided by the enemy.

a) Lt. Cmdr. Gerard Broadmead Roope RN:

“On 8 April 1940, in the Norwegian Sea, the destroyer HMS Glowworm (1,345 tons), commanded by Lt-Cdr Roope, engaged two enemy destroyers while heading alone to Norway's West Fjord. After one of the enemy ships was hit, they both broke off and retreated to the north.

Though aware that the enemy destroyers were attempting to draw him towards German capital ships, he gave chase. Glowworm soon spotted the German cruiser Admiral Hipper (14,000 tons). He alerted the Home Fleet before turning to engage the cruiser.

Glowworm fired ten torpedoes but scored no hits and was soon battered by enemy rounds and set on fire. With only three guns still firing, the heavily damaged destroyer ended up ramming the cruiser, gouging open several holes in her hull and destroying her forward starboard torpedo mounting. Glowworm then fired one more salvo, scoring a hit, before she capsized and sank.

Of the crew of 149, one officer and 30 men survived and were chivalrously picked up by the Admiral Hipper. Lt-Cdr Roope drowned in the course of assisting the rescue of survivors.

The Admiral Hipper's commander, Kapitän zur See Hellmuth Heye, wrote to the British authorities via the Red Cross, recommending award of the VC for his opponent's courage in engaging a vastly superior warship.”

b)
Flying Officer Lloyd Trigg RNZAF:

“He was flying his first operational flight in a Liberator V over the Atlantic from his base at Yundumn, West Africa (now Banjul, The Gambia), when on 11 August 1943 he engaged the German submarine U-468 under the command of Oberleutnant Klemens Schamong. His aircraft received several catastrophic hits from the submarine's anti-aircraft guns during its approach to the submarine and was on fire as Trigg made his final attack.

After dropping its depth charges, Trigg's Liberator crashed 300 yards behind its victim, killing Trigg and his crew. The only witnesses to Trigg's actions were the U-boat crew members.

The badly damaged U-boat sank soon after the attack but a small group of survivors (including Schamong) were spotted by an RAF Short Sunderland of No. 204 Squadron in the dinghy of the crashed Liberator, drifting off the coast of West Africa. They were rescued by a Royal Navy vessel HMS Clakia the next day, and the German crew reported the incident, recommending Trigg be decorated for his bravery.”

There were giants in the earth in those days...”

maximus otter
Elizabeth Webber Harris (1834–1917) was an English nurse who was awarded a replica Victoria Cross (VC) in 1869, with the permission of Queen Victoria, for her bravery during a cholera outbreak in India. ... She remains the only woman to be awarded a VC of any description.

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
I just found out that at the funerals of both Ronnie Barker and Ronnie Corbett, rather than the usual two candle bearers accompanying the coffin down the aisle in the church, they had four candles, in homage to the classic sketch :)

For those of you who dont know it here it is

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
I never knew Ronnie Barker knew Aylesbury - found a plaque in the Market Square under the Green Man Pub..

Barker_0219.jpg

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I just found out that at the funerals of both Ronnie Barker and Ronnie Corbett, rather than the usual two candle bearers accompanying the coffin down the aisle in the church, they had four candles, in homage to the classic sketch :)

Yes we know .. again and again again and again .. it was funny the first hundred times I watched it .. like the dead parrot sketch.

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Yes we know .. again and again again and again .. it was funny the first hundred times I watched it .. like the dead parrot sketch.
I did caveat my post with 'for those who dont know it' as there are quite a few non UK residents on the board who may not have seen it.. :p

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
I actually heard there was an alternate ending filmed, were instead of the guy Corbett calls out a buxom assistant who reads the list requiring a pair of knockers.

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
That's an ending they came up with later, I don't believe it was ever filmed.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I actually heard there was an alternate ending filmed, were instead of the guy Corbett calls out a buxom assistant who reads the list requiring a pair of knockers.

Blue Peter did that first.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

I first thought you were showing video of the funerals.

Edit - I googled 'Ronnie Barker funeral four candles' and 'Ronnie Corbett funeral four candles'. The second photo in the image search results for both is the same, of an altar with a line of four candles. What a coincidence.

Last edited:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
There's also a statue of him in Aylesbury.

See original image
That's not a well-loved statue. People touch and rub bronze but there's no evidence of that on photos I've seen of it.

Could be wrong of course, not having inspected it personally.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
That's not a well-loved statue. People touch and rub bronze but there's no evidence of that on photos I've seen of it.

It's only been there a few years, AFAIK.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score

It's not a badly done statue (Martin Jennings), the foot has been rubbed a bit and I saw at least six people inspect it this lunch time. We all basically agreed with the (largely unspoken) sentiment of Joy Barker, Ronnie Corbett and David Jason - it's a statue of Norman Stanley Fletcher.
That is the problem with honouring actors, do you commemorate the person or the characters they played ?
If David Jason ever got a statue, would it look like Del Boy or Granville, Jack Frost, Skullion or Capt Fantastic from DNAYS ?

Barker_0256.jpg

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
It's not a badly done statue (Martin Jennings), the foot has been rubbed a bit and I saw at least six people inspect it this lunch time. We all basically agreed with the (largely unspoken) sentiment of Joy Barker, Ronnie Corbett and David Jason - it's a statue of Norman Stanley Fletcher.
That is the problem with honouring actors, do you commemorate the person or the characters they played ?
If David Jason ever got a statue, would it look like Del Boy or Granville, Jack Frost, Skullion or Capt Fantastic from DNAYS ?

View attachment 36975
Yup, it is of Barker as Fletcher, hence the lack of specs. I like it but I'd expect it to be more rubbed in ten years.

The 'Victory over Blindness' sculpture outside Manchester Piccadilly Station gets plenty of love. I used to pass it regularly and often saw people stroke it affectionately as they went past.

Last edited:

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score

View attachment 36975
I have to say it looks more like him from that angle but i certainly wouldnt instantly guess it was him from this angle

Screenshot_20210320-202623.png