Something New Every Day: Random & Newly Found Facts

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
He was the first hippy :p

View attachment 38518

Einstein wasn't "vegitarian"; he wasn't even really a veggie. He was instructed by his doctor to give up meat for the last year of his life because of a range of health issues including ulcers and jaundice.

Ironically, he was killed by an aortic aneurysm, a condition concerning which being a veggie would have zero effect.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...lbert-einstein-vegetarian-20180307-story.html

maximus otter

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Einstein wasn't "vegitarian"; he wasn't even really a veggie. He was instructed by his doctor to give up meat for the last year of his life because of a range of health issues including ulcers and jaundice.

Ironically, he was killed by an aortic aneurysm, a condition concerning which being a veggie would have zero effect.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...lbert-einstein-vegetarian-20180307-story.html

maximus otter
You'll have to take that point up with the author of the quote :)

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Britain has assembled the largest naval flotilla in modern times lead by the HMS Queen Elizabeth aircraft

carrier going to the troubled South China Sea.

They will end up at Tokyo and South Korea.

China is not too happy at this display of British force.

Ogdred Weary

Drag Queen of Dragons
Reaction score

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Ancient medicine provided a number of odd remedies for motion sickness.

Because ancient people didn’t understand the cause of motion sickness, they used some pretty out-there remedies to try and cure it. Some would rub wormwood, wine vinegar, olive oil, and mint on their noses, or drink raindrops off the end of bamboo shoots. Others used poisonous plants like hellebore to clear out the stomach, and even drank pee from young children.

FULL STORY: https://www.popsci.com/story/science/seasick-motion-sickness-drink-gingerale-pee/

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
I found out yesterday that the city of Cincinnati, Ohio in the US has a subway that was never finished, it lays beneath the city streets, 3 miles of tunnels and 4 stations that were never completed. It was started in the early 1900's and abandoned a decade later.

640px-Cincinnati_Subway_-_Race_St._Station.jpg

https://www.theverge.com/2016/8/10/12411632/public-transportation-failures-america-cincinnati-subway

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Just found out that the 'chupa chups' lolies logo was designed by Salador Dali

dali_chupa_chups-min.jpg

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
I couldnt find a relevent thread for this, if there is a more suitable thread please move it :)

Italy has revealed plans to put a new floor at the Colosseum.

"The Italian government has approved a plan to furnish Rome's ancient Colosseum with a new floor, giving visitors the chance to stand where gladiators once fought.

Culture Minister Dario Franceschini announced the project to build the wooden, retractable floor on Sunday.

Italian engineering firm Milan Ingegneria won the 18.5m euro (£16.1; $22.2m) contract to design the floor.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56966365

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Agatha Christie was a surfer.

She was one of the first British women to surf! Whilst in South Africa and then Hawaii with Archie in 1922, Agatha learnt to surf, making her one of the first recorded Britons to take on the sport. She is credited with being the first Western woman to stand up on a surf board.

Inline_BeSurprised.jpg

Source:
https://www.agathachristie.com/news/2019/be-surprised-by-agatha-christie

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
No, I covered her (and Jack London) in my paper for the 2019 Sporting Heritage conference

(Though I will stress it is perfectly valid to use a bellyboard)

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Don't know if this best lives here or the unwhinge thread, but (after watching Neil Brand's Sound of the Musicals - and I'm not a fan of musicals but he's a great and seriously knowledgeable presenter) I discovered that the fantastic Glynis Johns, born in 1923, is still with us. That is worth celebrating! And she was in The Halfway House, The Court Jester and Mary Poppins, for starters...

(I like singers who aren't showy-offy, singing every part of every octave just because they can! Mariah Carey and your spawn, I mean you!!!!! I'd have Glynis Johns and Noel Harrison's Windmillls of your Mind every day of the week.)

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
The toy company Mattel wants your old Barbie Dolls and other old toys.

The company has started a program to recycle toys for other children.

They will send you a free shipping label.

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Dr Pepper is made up of a combination of 23 different flavours.

According to The Daily Meal, mega fans of Dr Pepper believe the 23 flavors are (in alphabetical order) amaretto, almond, blackberry, black licorice, caramel, carrot, clove, cherry, cola, ginger, juniper, lemon, molasses, nutmeg, orange, prune, plum, pepper, root beer, rum, raspberry, tomato, and vanilla.

https://www.mashed.com/255301/the-truth-about-dr-peppers-blend-of-23-flavors/

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Not quite sure how amaretto comes before almond alphabetically though :p

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I don’t believe he ever had a girl.....
Not only did he have a girl, she was reportedly of at least equal intelligence to him and it's thought that she came up with a lot of his famous equations but didn't get the credit because he was the man and she was a woman.

JaneD

JaneD
Reaction score
Not only did he have a girl, she was reportedly of at least equal intelligence to him and it's thought that she came up with a lot of his famous equations but didn't get the credit because he was the man and she was a woman.
Well colour me surprised. Although to be fair it was a quote from Hawkwind’s ‘Quark, Strangeness and Charm’ and not a fact. I got a bit carried away after Bad Bungle’s post

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
I hate quark, it has strangeness but no charm - my parents used to make it in a large plastic jug on the kitchen paraffin heater and then let it strain through a muslin bag hung around the tap over the sink. The smell of cat sick greeted me most mornings when I was a kid.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Animal fights 2-01.jpg

"69 and 61 percent of Americans are confident they could take on a house cat and a goose, respectively. After that, most respondents started to lose confidence in their fighting abilities pretty quickly. A little less than half think they could take on a medium-sized dog, and only 30 percent think they could beat an eagle in a fight"

https://www.relevantmagazine.com/cu...d-beat-a-grizzly-bear-in-hand-to-hand-combat/