Something New Every Day: Random & Newly Found Facts

Krepostnoi

really ought to be translating.
They have.

RAF Slang.

Famously POWs in Burma waiting too long to be liberated wrote the word (I believe with laundry) on the roof of their blockhouse in order to spur their aerial comrades to 'pull their fingers out'.

I think it was mentioned in Slim's Defeat Into Victory.
Clearly, I could benefit from the application of some exdigitation myself when it comes to researching such matters...:oops:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
When I've heard in the past about how sailors in history mistook beluga whales for mermaids, I always assumed that this was owing to very poor visibility or creative thinking (because a beluga looks nothing like a woman). A photo I've just seen, however, demonstrates that we're talking about the lower body not the head!

w64we8ko33211.jpg

It all becomes clear!

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
When I've heard in the past about how sailors in history mistook beluga whales for mermaids, I always assumed that this was owing to very poor visibility or creative thinking (because a beluga looks nothing like a woman). A photo I've just seen, however, demonstrates that we're talking about the lower body not the head!

View attachment 10162

It all becomes clear!
I would ..

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
They have.

RAF Slang.

Famously POWs in Burma waiting too long to be liberated wrote the word (I believe with laundry) on the roof of their blockhouse in order to spur their aerial comrades to 'pull their fingers out'.

I think it was mentioned in Slim's Defeat Into Victory.
One telling here:

On the following day troops of the 26th Division landed and were met by two R.A.F. officers who had force-landed near Rangoon. These officers reported that all the Japanese had moved out. As aircraft flew over Rangoon’s gaol they saw written in white letters on the roof: 'Japs Gone, Exdigitate', the last word being a piece of R.A.F. slang signifying that the message was no ruse, and partly ridiculing such elaborate operations on a virtually empty city.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Facts galore today.

Ever seen a film directed by Alan Smithee?

Alan Smithee (also Allen Smithee) is an official pseudonym used by film directors who wish to disown a project. Coined in 1968 and used until it was formally discontinued in 2000, it was the sole pseudonym used by members of the Directors Guild of America (DGA) when a director, dissatisfied with the final product, proved to the satisfaction of a guild panel that he or she had not been able to exercise creative control over a film. The director was also required by guild rules not to discuss the circumstances leading to the move or even to acknowledge being the project's director.​

And then the reason for its discontinuation is really tangled. Eric Idle is involved.

See here for details (after the star wars intro):

onetwothree

Sigils, Prosecco and crying are my main talents.
I've just discovered the button that takes you to the first unread post of a thread here. Doh.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Did anyone else know that hamster ovaries can be used in spine operations ? .. my big Sister is now part hamster .. for a short while :badge: .. she sounds cheerful enough.

Frasier Buddolph

CAUTION: May not know what he's talking about.
I’m sure many of us suspected this.... but now we know why.

Oh dear . . . Recognize this?

"The tune had been haunting London for weeks past. It was one of countless similar songs published for the benefit of the proles by a sub-section of the Music Department. The words of these songs were composed without any human intervention whatever on an instrument known as a versificator. But the woman sang so tunefully as to turn the dreadful rubbish into an almost pleasant sound."

We're doomed.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Oh dear . . . Recognize this?

"The tune had been haunting London for weeks past. It was one of countless similar songs published for the benefit of the proles by a sub-section of the Music Department. The words of these songs were composed without any human intervention whatever on an instrument known as a versificator. But the woman sang so tunefully as to turn the dreadful rubbish into an almost pleasant sound."

We're doomed.
Oh yeah...well spotted...1984 is here.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Tanks - the armed mobile military variety - are so named because when under development, the secret cover story was that they were water carriers. Other code names under consideration at the time were 'reservoir' & 'cistern'. They opted for 'tank'.

Tanks - the armed mobile military variety - are so named because when under development, the secret cover story was that they were water carriers. Other code names under consideration at the time were 'reservoir' & 'cistern'. They opted for 'tank'.
Main Battle Cistern just doesn't have the same ring to it.