Something New Every Day: Random & Newly Found Facts

ScotDeerie

Fresh Blood
Reaction score
Today, so far, I don't think I have learned anything new. Which is disappointing - given what I was promised as a child.

Did anyone else learn something new today?
When it comes to matters of healthcare I am willing to spend untold amounts for the comfort of my dogs but my Scottish half comes to the fore if it’s for me.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Japan's biggest producer of novelty joke knives (with retractable blades allowing you to safely fake a stabbing) is dropping that product from its catalog.
Japan’s leading maker of joke knives with retractable blades ends production

A blow to fans of consequence-free stabbing.

Regardless of what country you grew up in, you probably have memories of those toy knives that look rather realistic, but actually have a dull plastic blade that sinks back into the handle when pressed, giving the illusion of stabbing someone or something.

Japan too has these toys which were usually sold at old-school candy shops or festivals, and for the longest time if you were to get one, chances were that it was a Magic Mahoto (“Magic Magic Blade”) made by Horishoten in Nagoya City, Aichi Prefecture.

Since 1950, this company has been making a wide range of novelty goods, and introduced the Magic Mahoto in the late ’70s. However, now it would seem that these springy shivs’ days are numbered. Many would probably assume that it’s a victim of social trends moving away from violent toys, but ... that is not the case. ...
FULL STORY: https://soranews24.com/2021/09/23/j...ives-with-retractable-blades-ends-production/

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Cabbage, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, collard greens, kale, kohlrabi, and several other common vegetables are all the same species.
Is this the Farting thread?

ChasFink

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Wasn't "The Farting Thread" an obscure 1990s art rock album?

Krepostnoi

Confronting the challenge of porcine fragility
Reaction score
Cabbage, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, collard greens, kale, kohlrabi, and several other common vegetables are all the same species.
Just different breeds.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
In 2005, a man called Ronald McDonald robbed a Wendy's fast food burger restaurant stealing money from the safe.

aronald002.jpg

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
Reaction score
In 2005, a man called Ronald McDonald robbed a Wendy's fast food burger restaurant stealing money from the safe.

View attachment 46149
I looked up how many people were called Ronald MacDonald in the US and surprised it was only 207, I thought there would be more originally from the Clan McDonald, but that's spelt differently. There are 25 American with my name (not Bad Bungle), just learnt something new.

http://howmanyofme.com/search/

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm thinking it's Tim Horton ... :thought:

ScotDeerie

Fresh Blood
Reaction score
Okay… ready? I learned that a dead body’s “tissue gas” can be spread from corpse to corpse unless the undertaker’s instruments are sterilized between stiffs.

From Louise in “Stares in Mortician” on FB.
“Lesson: Tissue Gas Is Bad (and the bane of all embalmers)

…It sucks so much for embalmers. You can start with a body that doesn’t look all that bad, but it goes downhill FAST. Like, accelerated decomposition and swelling. It can spread to other dead bodies too, which will ruin your whole week/month until you can eliminate the contamination. Another thing is that tissue gas loves brains. The best way to tackle brain bacteria is to jam a trocar through the cribriform plate (that’s the bone inside your nose that stops your finger poking your brain). It takes some muscle to get it through that bone, then it crunches and gives way. Brutal. Inject strong cavity fluid down the trocar and directly into the brain.

An excerpt from my source notes: “How is tissue gas identified in a dead human body and how does it affect dead human tissue?” Very strong odor of decomp, skin slip, blebs (FYI these are like fluid filled blisters), the condition and amount of gas increases with time. CP thrives on dead necrotic tissue, spreads rapidly, distention and swelling, tissues feel like they’re stuffed with cellophane, makes crackling sound called crepitation, gas can cause bloating/swelling of the body, protrusion of tongue and eyes, distention of male genitalia; the pressure resulting from distention of abdominal cavity creates extra vascular resistance and lung/stomach, anal purge, pressure build up by the accumulated gas tears the tissues apart; distention is usually greatest in soft tissue areas (eyelids, neck, scrotum), the gas spreads rather rapidly through the tissue, causing blebs to form on the surface, then blebs grow and burst, releasing the gas and putrefactive fluids and causing skin slip.

If you’re the praying type, light a candle and send some good vibes to prevent tissue gas from afflicting any of our prep rooms.”

WeeScottishLassie

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Okay… ready? I learned that a dead body’s “tissue gas” can be spread from corpse to corpse unless the undertaker’s instruments are sterilized between stiffs.

From Louise in “Stares in Mortician” on FB.
“Lesson: Tissue Gas Is Bad (and the bane of all embalmers)

…It sucks so much for embalmers. You can start with a body that doesn’t look all that bad, but it goes downhill FAST. Like, accelerated decomposition and swelling. It can spread to other dead bodies too, which will ruin your whole week/month until you can eliminate the contamination. Another thing is that tissue gas loves brains. The best way to tackle brain bacteria is to jam a trocar through the cribriform plate (that’s the bone inside your nose that stops your finger poking your brain). It takes some muscle to get it through that bone, then it crunches and gives way. Brutal. Inject strong cavity fluid down the trocar and directly into the brain.

An excerpt from my source notes: “How is tissue gas identified in a dead human body and how does it affect dead human tissue?” Very strong odor of decomp, skin slip, blebs (FYI these are like fluid filled blisters), the condition and amount of gas increases with time. CP thrives on dead necrotic tissue, spreads rapidly, distention and swelling, tissues feel like they’re stuffed with cellophane, makes crackling sound called crepitation, gas can cause bloating/swelling of the body, protrusion of tongue and eyes, distention of male genitalia; the pressure resulting from distention of abdominal cavity creates extra vascular resistance and lung/stomach, anal purge, pressure build up by the accumulated gas tears the tissues apart; distention is usually greatest in soft tissue areas (eyelids, neck, scrotum), the gas spreads rather rapidly through the tissue, causing blebs to form on the surface, then blebs grow and burst, releasing the gas and putrefactive fluids and causing skin slip.

If you’re the praying type, light a candle and send some good vibes to prevent tissue gas from afflicting any of our prep rooms.”
Awesome!

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
143 with my name and one quite famous Canadian
582,529 with my first name.

155 with my surname. Which is a lot higher than the 3 people in England (me, me mum and me dad. MrsCarlos sensibly kept her surname and my sister didn't. I have no kids so it dies with me, unless a cat outlives me).

And "1 or fewer" share both my names. I'm wagering it's fewer.

ScotDeerie

Fresh Blood
Reaction score
582,529 with my first name.

155 with my surname. Which is a lot higher than the 3 people in England (me, me mum and me dad. MrsCarlos sensibly kept her surname and my sister didn't. I have no kids so it dies with me, unless a cat outlives me).

And "1 or fewer" share both my names. I'm wagering it's fewer.
Mine, too.

CALGACUS03

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
I'm surprised how popular my first name is in America (in the top 25), in the UK it's seriously out of fashion - probably not even in the top 200. Over 1,500,000 Americans with the name.

My Surname is shared by just over 1500 Americans. Again surprisingly many, as it's a fairly uncommon surname here in the UK.

Six people in the USA with the combination.

Beresford

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
I looked up how many people were called Ronald MacDonald in the US and surprised it was only 207, I thought there would be more originally from the Clan McDonald, but that's spelt differently. There are 25 American with my name (not Bad Bungle), just learnt something new.

http://howmanyofme.com/search/
The clan name is MacDonald. Mac is Scottish, Mc is Irish.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Well, there are 1,847 people in the US with my exact name.
So, probably fewer in the UK by the same proportion.