Something New Every Day: Random & Newly Found Facts

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Today I heard a robin singing very loudly in a shrub. I think this is a freshly arrived one, fighting for winter territory. Our local robins move south and northern robins take their place.
Correct me if I'm mistaken please.

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Does it sound more French or Flemish?
Can't tell :) and maybe there's a joke in there that I'm too thick to understand ...
But I've never heard a robin sing so vigorously and continuously before.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Today I heard a robin singing very loudly in a shrub. I think this is a freshly arrived one, fighting for winter territory. Our local robins move south and northern robins take their place.

No: if it’s northern, it’s sure to be gobby.

maximus otter

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Due to a rat problem I have stopped feeding the birds. I feel bad now though as Robin is looking at me from the fence asking where his food is. Ive kept the hangers with the fat- balls in for the sparrows, but Robin can't use that and if I put some seed out for him, the sparrows chase him/her off.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Due to a rat problem I have stopped feeding the birds. I feel bad now though as Robin is looking at me from the fence asking where his food is. Ive kept the hangers with the fat- balls in for the sparrows, but Robin can't use that and if I put some seed out for him, the sparrows chase him/her off.

Get a hanging bird feeder surrounded by a wire cage. That'll keep out rubbish like pigeons, doves and starlings. Ours is filled with sunflower seeds available at reasonable prices from CJ Wild Bird Foods.

Accept that we all have rats in or near our gardens. Songbirds need our help.

maximus otter

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Get a hanging bird feeder surrounded by a wire cage. That'll keep out rubbish like pigeons, doves and starlings. Ours is filled with sunflower seeds available at reasonable prices from CJ Wild Bird Foods.

maximus otter
Yes, that's probably the solution. Hang it somewhere where a rat can't get to it.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

maximus otter
Yes, that's the type I've kept, but Robin doesn't use that. To be honest, I don't mind Rattus norvegicus and would leave her alone but for all the digging they do (I've removed buckets and buckets of soil that she's dug out for her nest(s)) and all mess they make. I also like doves and pigeon who sits on the electric cable waiting in all weathers. (Starlings not so much but we don't seem to get those very often).

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Yes, that's the type I've kept, but Robin doesn't use that. To be honest, I don't mind Rattus norvegicus and would leave her alone but for all the digging they do (I've removed buckets and buckets of soil that she's dug out for her nest(s)) and all mess they make. I also like doves and pigeon who sits on the electric cable waiting in all weathers. (Starlings not so much but we don't seem to get those very often).

Our robins do use a feeder as l’ve described above. Surprisingly for such pugnacious wee birds, they tend to be a bit shy about feeders; they “wait their turn”, dart in, snatch a few seeds and zoom off again.

maximus otter

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Our robins do use a feeder as l’ve described above. Surprisingly for such pugnacious wee birds, they tend to be a bit shy about feeders; they “wait their turn”, dart in, snatch a few seeds and zoom off again.

maximus otter
Ah, maybe I've just never seen him use it then as it's usually covered in sparrows. Although perhaps he just doesn't like fat-balls and that's why. I'll try a different food.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
The comedy actress Awkwafina took her name from a water bottle. I had no idea!

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
l don’t do FB, and all l get on that link is the “title page”, and advice that l can’t swear or be non-PC. So l’m not joining.

:rofl:

maximus otter
Right. -Yes, I don't think you'd last very long on it. Even I get banned every now and then, and I only go on ocassionally.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

maximus otter
That was funny; just watched a female blackbird on a shrub we have with red berries. She ate 3 or 4 while a couple of sparrows watched inquisitively. After a while they all flew off and then one sparrow returned. He looked at a berry for a couple of minutes, weighing it up, wondering if this would be a good idea, took it, squashed it a bit, then spat it out.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
You can get window-mounted bird feeders that are less accessible to rats. We keep cats so I'm sometimes tempted by those.

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
To get 10 percent of smokers to extinguish their last cigarette, a minimum price of € 12 per pack is required.
No less than 50 percent of smokers say they only quit at a price of € 60 per package.

Dutch smokers appear to be willing to pay a lot of money for tobacco; a third didn't even mind paying the highest price. According to the researchers, this not only indicates how addictive cigarettes are, but also how affordable.

This is evident from research by Maastricht University (UM) into the sensitivity of people who smoke roll-your-own tobacco or cigarettes to price changes. The findings have been published in the scientific journal Nicotine & Tobacco Research.

flannel

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
You can get window-mounted bird feeders that are less accessible to rats. We keep cats so I'm sometimes tempted by those.
We got one and it's fun watching the blackbirds learn by trial and error how to get on it.

gattino

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Things I never knew I never knew. The Michelin man is actually called Bibendum.....after an exhortation to start drinking.
1637794929502.png

ChasFink

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I was wondering why a product associated with driving would have a slogan that encouraged drinking until I read further into the Wikipedia article:
The 1898 poster showed him offering the toast Nunc est bibendum to his scrawny competitors with a glass full of road hazards, with the title and tag C'est à dire : À votre santé. Le pneu Michelin boit l'obstacle ("That is to say: Here's to your health. The Michelin tyre drinks up obstacles"). The character's glass is filled with nails and broken glass, implying that Michelin tyres will easily take on road hazards.

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Several British General Elections ago the Monster Raving Loony Party campaigned for the issue of a 99p coin. (not checked)

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
Reaction score
Things I never knew I never knew. The Michelin man is actually called Bibendum.....after an exhortation to start drinking. View attachment 48452
I first heard about Bibendum in September when a badge was detected on a local Dig in a field about 10 miles from me. The promotional badge was offered to important Michelin Tyre customers, marked with "With Bibendum's Compliments" with this find dated between 1908-12. As it's not my find I can't give further information or a picture of it as it came out of the ground, but have included a sample pic. It was a lovely find.

Bibendum_03.jpg

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I first heard about Bibendum in September when a badge was detected on a local Dig in a field about 10 miles from me. The promotional badge was offered to important Michelin Tyre customers, marked with "With Bibendum's Compliments" with this find dated between 1908-12. As it's not my find I can't give further information or a picture of it as it came out of the ground, but have included a sample pic. It was a lovely find.

View attachment 48491
He appears to be smoking a fag as well.