Something New Every Day: Random & Newly Found Facts

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Seems the original Michelin Bibendum was smoking a cigar but that was dropped sometime as more modern images don’t have it, so your dating figures.

1637881708509.png

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
<Reads Wiki article>

Holy cow! Its only Grade 2!

What are they on? This is a significant piece of architecture

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
If they make a movie, then I think Bibendum should be played by Dave Bautista.

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

52 things Tom Whitwell learned in 2021

by Tyler Cowen (*not me*) December 3, 2021 at 2:36 am
Always a good list, here is this year’s edition, and an excerpt:
  1. Beauty livestreamer Li Jiaqi sold $1.9 billion worth of products in one twelve hour show on Taobao. That’s slightly less than the total sales from all four Selfridges stores during 2019. [Jinshan Hong]
  2. 10% of US electricity is generated from old Russian nuclear warheads. [Geoff Brumfiel]
  3. Some South African students sell school Wi-Fi passwords for lunch money. Residents walk up to 6km to connect to schools because 4G data is so expensive. [Kimberly Mutandiro]
  4. Productivity dysmorphia is the inability to see one’s own success, to acknowledge the volume of your own output. [Anna Codrea-Rado]
But I like this one. See the whole list:
  1. Every day, one million people upload pictures of their coffee grinds to the Turkish app Faladdin and get a personalised fortune reading back in 15 minutes. [Kaya Genç]
  2. In 2020 there was a brief panic about Americans being sent mysterious packages of seeds from China. It turns out (spoiler warning) that they just ordered the seeds, forgot about them, then got swept up in all the excitement. [Chris Heath]