Something New Every Day: Random & Newly Found Facts

‘Axe’ for ‘ask’ – a particular bete noir of those who bemoan the eternal struggle of the English language against the ferocious depredations of Jafaican and other expressions of modern type street-speak, appears in the glossary of that sacred text of Dancehall, Hip-Hop and Grime, from the late 1300's, Piers Plowman.

For example – from Passus 5:

…If I bygge and borwe aught, but if it be ytailed

I foryete it as yerne, and yif men me it axe

Sixe sithes or sevene, I forsake it with othes;

And so will I pimpen my plow bytche

Yif men dis it I fille full of arrows their heads

Yeah, um, yeah, um, um, Mutherfoukerre

I be ploughing, you be dying - yeah, um, yeah, uhu.
Etc

(Okay, I made some of that up.)

Last edited:

James_H

And I like to roam the land
‘Axe’ for ‘ask’ – a particular bete noir of those who bemoan the eternal struggle of the sacred English language against the ferocious depredations of Jafaican and other expressions of modern type street-speak, appears in the glossary of that sacred text of Dancehall, Hip-Hop and Grime, from the late 1300's, Piers Plowman.

For example – from Passus 5:

…If I bygge and borwe aught, but if it be ytailed

I foryete it as yerne, and yif men me it axe

Sixe sithes or sevene, I forsake it with othes;

And so will I pimpen my plow bytche

Yif men dis it I fille full of arrows their heads

Yeah, um, yeah, um, um, Mutherfoukerre

I be ploughing, you be dying - yeah, um, yeah, uhu.
Etc

(Okay, I made some of that up.)
You might enjoy this twitter account: https://twitter.com/LeVostreGC

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
With apologies to Americans, for whom this probably is not news, I just learnt a lot about the KKK.

The first revalation being that the second wave of the KKK, that began in the first quarter of the twentieth century, was far more popular in the North (not the South where it had its origins) of the country, and was much more focused on anti-Jewish and anti-Catholic activities than Anti-black agitation (at the time there was a relatively small black population outside of the South).

The first and third waves, incidentally, were the anti-emancipationary racists of the Reconstruction Era (1860s onward) and the anti-civil rights group of the 1960s.

It's fascinating to hear how much of social club it was in the 20s. From its origin as a secret society it evolved to be a popular (in the plain sense) institution (millions of members nationwide) with threads from sewing circles and charity drives, to libraries, merchandising and bowling clubs--all surprisingly wholesome, but with a side-order or hatred.

It doesn't make their views less abhorrent, but it's interesting to see there was a lot going on than just the hoods and lynchings.

Unless I'm atypical, I don't think this is all well-known in the UK.

Last edited:
They were also only one of several groups - the Knights of the White Camelia being another (also the Red Shirts, I think).

On a connected issue (knitting doesn't stop you being a murderer):

I believe I am right in saying that no-one has ever managed to get an anti-lynching law through the senate. And (I couldn't quite believe that my memory was accurate here, but a quick google suggests it is) even the NAACP originally believed that such a bill might be unconstitutional!

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
I always thought that Pinocchio as the scariest film I’ve seen. Now I know why. It’s all symbolism and archetypes.

You’ll never think of it the same way again...

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
As ever apologies if this is more widely known than I thought, it certainly wasn't known to me.

Idiom: (to be) 'on a hiding to nothing'.

Originally a betting term from the the realm of turf and akin to (say) seven to one.
E.g.: I'm on 'Dragon Major' at seven to one.

Rationale: The cost of the action is 'nothing' (the stake), meaning that it is simple enough to attempt (the bet costs nothing), but the best result possible is 'a hiding' (a thrashing or beating--oft promised by draconian parents, oft preceded by 'bloody good'), making the action inadvisable.