Something New Every Day: Random & Newly Found Facts

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Direct quote:

“Hooper’s Law” gives us a way to estimate the age of a hedgerow (Max Hooper is a scientist who studied and wrote about hedgerows and biodiversity.)

The simplest method is to count the number of species of tree or shrub found in a 100 ft length of hedge. This number (averaged over three or more sample stretches) multiplied by 100 gives a rough estimate of the age of the hedge. So a hedge with an average of five woody species might be tentatively dated to the 16th century.

Source:
https://hedgebritannia.wordpress.com/2011/04/08/how-to-date-a-hedge/

Zeke Newbold

Carbon based biped.
I've learnt that there are such things as pink dolphins.

Embarrasingly, I got this info from..er..ahem...`Blue Peter`, albeit second hand. An English language text book tells of a journey some `Blue Peter` presenter made down the Amazon for charity or something (forget the name - it was way way after my time). There she enountered dehydration, blisters and...pink dolphins.

Do we believe this picture though? (Disclaimer: it's not from `Blue Peter`) pink dolphin.jpg

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I've learnt that there are such things as pink dolphins.

Embarrasingly, I got this info from..er..ahem...`Blue Peter`, albeit second hand. An English language text book tells of a journey some `Blue Peter` presenter made down the Amazon for charity or something (forget the name - it was way way after my time). There she enountered dehydration, blisters and...pink dolphins.

Do we believe this picture though? (Disclaimer: it's not from `Blue Peter`) View attachment 12161
That pic is fake. The colour is more like this:

Verbal Earthworm

Ephemeral Spectre
Several sub-species of dolphin can have white colouring and it appears pink due to them being hot blooded.

You can see them all over Asia and Oceania as well as South America (Hong Kong Harbour is famous for them).

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Several sub-species of dolphin can have white colouring and it appears pink due to them being hot blooded.

You can see them all over Asia and Oceania as well as South America (Hong Kong Harbour is famous for them).
If they were in the harbour, they ain't any more :(. However, they can be seen off Tai O (I've seen them twice). Their time there may also be limited because of pollution from the Pearl River and the construction of the new bridge to Zhuhai.

James_H

And I like to roam the land
As for the new thing I learned today:

Q: Which country consumes the most Worcestershire Sauce per capita?

A:
El Salvador

:confused:

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
I've just learned that the insult 'berk' is cockney rhyming slang for the rudest of all words:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/berk

"Etymology
The usage is dated to the 1930s. A shortened version of Berkeley Hunt, the hunt based at Berkeley Castle in Gloucestershire.
In the Cockney rhyming slang, hunt is used as a rhyme for c**t giving the word berk its original slang meaning."

Verbal Earthworm

Ephemeral Spectre
I've just learned that the insult 'berk' is cockney rhyming slang for the rudest of all words:

"Etymology
The usage is dated to the 1930s. A shortened version of Berkeley Hunt, the hunt based at Berkeley Castle in Gloucestershire.
In the Cockney rhyming slang, hunt is used as a rhyme for c**t giving the word berk its original slang meaning."
Shhh...Londoner's don't want everyone to know.

Krepostnoi

Popular orange vegetable

"Etymology
I once watched, open-mouthed, as someone explained this derivation to a man he had just been introduced to. Who had the surname Berko. I somehow doubt that moment marked the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

(To bring it all full-circle, it is Mr Berko who is responsible for me having a Bacon number of 2, and - it turns out - a Hitler number of 3.)

Last edited:

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Coat it in chilli sauce and it'll be out in a day!
With a case of toxoplasmosis it'll be out in about eight hours, and every hour or so for a day or two (that was my sole experience of a Michelin-starred restaurant. It was the roe deer steak tartare that did the damage, far worse than any of my food-related conditions in Asia, of which there have been a few...).

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
There are 46 States and 4 Commonwealths of America, the difference seems to be mainly due to the wording in their respective Constitution.

Pub Quiz ! Pub Quiz ! What is the most Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western states of the US ?

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
There are 46 States and 4 Commonwealths of America, the difference seems to be mainly due to the wording in their respective Constitution.

Pub Quiz ! Pub Quiz ! What is the most Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western states of the US ?
Oooh, I love a pub quiz, so without googing it I'm going for Alaska (the only one I'm confident of), Hawaii, Rhode Island and Hawaii (trying to picture the globe, and it could be Alaska... Damn, I really should know these!)