Something New Every Day: Random & Newly Found Facts

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
There are 46 States and 4 Commonwealths of America, the difference seems to be mainly due to the wording in their respective Constitution.

Pub Quiz ! Pub Quiz ! What is the most Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western states of the US ?
Well, having looked it up, that was interesting (and very tricky!).

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Well, having looked it up, that was interesting (and very tricky!).
So, without looking it up, I presume that at least one of the northern/southern/eastern and westernmost territories are Commonwealths and not states.

Whatever the nomenclature, doesn't Alaska cover two of those?

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
So, without looking it up, I presume that at least one of the northern/southern/eastern and westernmost territories are Commonwealths and not states.

Whatever the nomenclature, doesn't Alaska cover two of those?
Depending on what you include, Alaska can cover three of those!

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Depending on what you include, Alaska can cover three of those!
That's what I was thinking of : Alaska is most northern, the Aleutian islands stretch to Russia making Alaska the most Western and Eastern, Hawaii is the most Southern American State.

My sister never realised until today that the crime show 'Hawaii Five-0' was so called because Hawaii is the 50th state.

oxo66

Junior Acolyte
I don't know the source, but the oft-cited example of 'preposition stranding gone mad' runs something like this:

The father of a little boy goes upstairs after supper to read to his son, but by mistake he brings the wrong book. The little boy, forgetting his lessons, asks, 'What did you bring that book that I don't want to be read to out of up for?
Ne quid nimis!
Only just read this. It used to be quoted in the Guinness Book of Records back in the 1970s, though no source was given. Their version reads

"Why did you bring that book that I didn't want to be read to out of from about Down Under up for?"

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
A festive-ish post. These are the results of an conductor wearing a heart monitor while leading an orchestra through The Nutcracker.

I had no idea that it could be so vigorous--one can only imagine what something even more epic might do to you physically.

db91kzyn3t121.png

Source:
https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/a2ayz6

Ermintruder

Delineated by a professional cryptozoologist

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
That 'chops' (those mystical things possessed by skilled guitarists with fretboard dexterity) are the same as 'chops' (those things that people keep threatening to 'bust me in the...').

Apparently the phrase entered the music world through jazz--specifically jazz trumpet. The ability to reliably hit the high notes with a clean sound was attributed to your great mouth ("Miles has amazing chops") and the phrase carried over to other non-wind instruments and drifted into the genre of rock.

henry

still speeding
That 'chops' (those mystical things possessed by skilled guitarists with fretboard dexterity) are the same as 'chops' (those things that people keep threatening to 'bust me in the...').

Apparently the phrase entered the music world through jazz--specifically jazz trumpet. The ability to reliably hit the high notes with a clean sound was attributed to your great mouth ("Miles has amazing chops") and the phrase carried over to other non-wind instruments and drifted into the genre of rock.
embouchure, interesting ... similar to above the soul patch rose to prominence amongst hard jazz horn players as clean shaven skin beneath lower lip would become irritated soon into a set, hence was preferred left unshaven, hence became emblematic of serious players ...

predated by russian fondness for sideburns and "an imperial"

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
The avocado is an evolutionary anachronism that 'should' be extinct and 80% of avocados sold today come from a single tree from 1926.

Also that the Aztec word for avocado, ahuacatl means “testicle”. This is most likely because the avocado, growing in pairs, resembled the body part. After the arrival of Spanish conquistadors, Spanish speakers substituted the form avocado for the Aztec (Nahuatl) word because ahuacatl sounded like the early Spanish word avocado (now abogado), meaning “lawyer.”

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts...should-have-gone-the-way-of-the-dodo-4976527/