• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Something Spooky In The Fireplace

Hmm, . . . care to share ??? :ghunt:

(If you have already, or feel uncomfortable going down that particular memory lane, please excuse my nosiness!)
I think I must have posted online, here and on Quora and a few other sites, many of my most interesting experiences. Very briefly, although I always had a low level of "paranormal" things going on, and was somewhat sensitive, it wasn't until I met my now wife, also with a history of occasional strangeness, that they exploded into life. First of all, soon after meeting my wife (who constantly recalls that it was as if we had already known each other), she introduced me to her rather dangerous-sounding father (East Ender, kept a baseball bat beside his door in case he didn't like the caller, etc.), whom I got along with well. They came with me on the bus as far as the station on my way home, and without warning, as we got off, me leading, I glanced back and in a moment of instant awareness knew, beyond a shadow of doubt, that we three had known each other for many, maybe even thousands of years. Something like that had happened a couple of times before with other folk, but with nothing like that intensity.

Then after we got together, and married a couple of years later, things got even more interesting. I had found a local job that might be right up her street as a nurse and carer, deputy manager of a local sheltered housing for the elderly organisation. We went around there together and the manager interviewed her, and later that evening phoned to offer her the job. It comprised an old Georgian house (maybe with older roots) with modern flats grafted on the back. She and the manager had flats on the 2nd floor of the house. It wasn't long before she realised that the place was haunted, and (when she was on rota to be in charge over the weekend) I spent quite a few nights there myself, and there was a ton of activity -- a sample: Going in to her office one morning my wife heard someone noisily washing up in the small kitchen down a short corridor. Curious as to who would be in there, she started down the corridor, the noises ceased, and in the kitchen there was no sign of any activity at all.
On another occasion, she was in the office chatting to one of the residents, when they heard footsteps coming down the corridor. The door opened, and they glanced up to see.. nobody there. Other less dramatic things, noises (some in her room were like jangling sounds coming from a wardrobe and other locations), and things being moved about (such as the heavy CCTV monitor that she used to allow entrance to late night callers at the main door), Once when the manager and her husband were off on holiday, sounds kept coming from their flat. One evening as she was going down to lock up, I was in her bathroom when I heard a loud thud, but not from the next door flat.. when I quickly went into her bedsit there was a stack of her romance novels on the edge of their shelf -- they had been pushed out and on the verge of falling, and I hurriedly shoved them back into place, whereupon I made the same muffled thud that I had heard from the bathroom.

The happening that stays with me most vividly was one Saturday when I arrived a bit early, and my wife told me to go up and wait for her in her room. I was still recovering from a breakdown, and relaxed on her sofa bed. It was a bright sunny day. Suddenly someone came in the room (the door being behind me at that time), walked past my head (on an arm of the sofa), and took up a position in front of the TV. But I couldn't see a thing. It was, as they say, a presence, and I knew it to be (1) male, and (2) very friendly and pleasant. Moments passed then I heard my wife's keys jangling as she opened the door. It was one of those rare times when I thought quickly, and as she entered I said, "I think we've got company." Her immediate reply was, "Oh yes, in front of the telly." The presence slowly faded away.

Several of the residents with medical problems, some serious, used to visit the local healers who worked at the village hall every Thursday, and they swore they felt a lot better for it. So my wife suggested I try it. I was quite sceptical about it and did nothing, so of course she booked me in anyway, and went with me (to make sure I did go, I suspect). It was a pleasant large room with chairs arranged in pairs in the middle and others around the periphery. The 6 healers would work with 6 patients at a time in the middle, for I think 20 minute sessions. Pleasant New Age music was playing. Afterwards patients and healers would discuss the session and then another session would begin. Patients would be offered tea and biscuits afterwards. So the hall was always full of people. I had read that people sometimes felt a sensation of heat, but I was not prepared for the blast of heat that I experienced -- like opening the oven door! And afterwards I felt a lot better -- in fact, as we left, I suggested we go on a long bus ride! So I decided to carry on.

One day my regular healer was herself ill [this was not uncommon, and despite their protestations that they were just channeling energy from above, I felt that they were actually using their own, and maybe depleting it] and I had another, a very butch-looking lady with cropped hair, and almost an angry expression. After I explained that my main problem was my lower back and the session began with a neck massage (many healers would not physically touch the patient at all, others would), I felt an extreme sensation of heat in my lower back, and then she began a very vigorous massage. I could feel her fingers and thumbs digging in hard, and I thought, "My goodness, this girl is strong!" At the end I felt much better. I explained about the amazing heat I had felt before she started the massage and she looked confused. I repeated it, and she remarked, "Someone else must have been touching your back." I thought this was ludicrous, she and everyone around would notice if someone went up to me and started a massage! Then, as I relaxed with my cup of tea, I noticed, for the first time, that all the plastic seats in the hall lacked any gap at the back where anyone could even touch your back, let alone give you a massage! [A year or two later I started going evenings to one of the healers, and having some unknown personage touching my foot (where I had a tendonitis prob;lem) almost every session! Always touching the area between the big toe and the next one. Not long after I had acupuncture on my ankle and I noticed that the Chinese doctor always placed a needle in exactly the same location. When I asked her why, she explained that was the major acupuncture meridian.]

Since then we moved out to the country and I no longer had any hauntings or healers to interact with, but events have continued nevertheless. Many have seemed more like glitches in the matrix than "paranormal", although of course, that may be a false dichotomy. For example, the usual vanishing and (sometimes) reappearing object phenomenon. A near empty bottle of massage lotion, no longer manufactured, suddenly becoming full, for example. Two events have stood out -- one, a piece of blanket that had been roughly cut down, and as a result constantly slipping out from under the mattress, suddenly becoming whole again, and my wife insistant that it had always been full length. And the second, after a period of heavy snowfall when postal deliveries had ceased, when a postman came about 2pm with an expected parcel, and later on I realised that he had left no footprints in the snow..

Last edited:
Wow brilliant account Carl especially when you’re good lady picked up on the entity/ghost! in front of the tv with no promptIng :nails:

This happened to me and the missus last night
I enjoy painting and Lino printing etc and will sometimes have them framed and hang them around the house.
So last night we were having a zoom call with the eldest son when we all heard a loud swishing sound and a thump/bang sound.my wife went to look and couldn’t find anything to account for it.
We thought it was snow melting of the roof and landing in the garden.
We were eating our tea and I noticed a picture missing of the wall we started looking for it and found it stuck behind the radiator which was below and to the right of the picture it was jammed in very tightly and I had to undo the valves and lift the radiator away from the wall to get the picture out.This is the second time that this has happened.
The first time we found a picture halfway down the stairs that was hung on the wall on the upstairs landing .
Then last night I had a nightmare that something was trying to drag me out of my body it had grabbed my left leg and was dragging me out of my body I felt my body moving down the bed as it pulled me.At that point I woke up with a very worried looking wife starting at me.

Wow brilliant account Carl especially when you’re good lady picked up on the entity/ghost! in front of the tv with no promptIng :nails:
Yes, I could easily have said the wrong thing! She wasn't phased by the activity there -- her previous deceased husband had (she believed) attempted to contact her after his passing by lifting a glass of fruit juice off a small table and landing it gently on the floor, without spilling a drop. Luckily she had a coworker with her at the time (and I met her a year or two later and she confirmed what had happened). The only thing that rather unnerved her was one night when she felt me lifting up the bed covers, then remembered that I wasn't staying that weekend! Kept her light on for the rest of the night.

Last edited:
Then last night I had a nightmare that something was trying to drag me out of my body it had grabbed my left leg and was dragging me out of my body I felt my body moving down the bed as it pulled me.At that point I woke up with a very worried looking wife starting at me.

:oops:

The first time I experienced sleep-paralysis I felt myself being pulled out of bed. It was three red-robed figures and I couldn’t see their faces under the cowls. I fought like hell as I ‘knew’ that if they got me down the stairs and out the door I would be ‘gone’. I managed to knock my ankle against the wall (single bed pushed against the wall) and woke up gasping for breath as if I really had been struggling.

:oops:

The first time I experienced sleep-paralysis I felt myself being pulled out of bed. It was three red-robed figures and I couldn’t see their faces under the cowls. I fought like hell as I ‘knew’ that if they got me down the stairs and out the door I would be ‘gone’. I managed to knock my ankle against the wall (single bed pushed against the wall) and woke up gasping for breath as if I really had been struggling.
Youngest daughter and I were discussing spooky and weird happenings and she was telling me how her sleep paralysis episode, during a night's stay in a hotel in the Lake District, caused her to 'see' a young man in an orange and black striped rugby shirt attempting to pull her out of bed!

Youngest daughter and I were discussing spooky and weird happenings and she was telling me how her sleep paralysis episode, during a night's stay in a hotel in the Lake District, caused her to 'see' a young man in an orange and black striped rugby shirt attempting to pull her out of bed!
Gotta watch out for those drunken rugby players - they might often stray into the wrong room after a night on the tiles!

I am thinking back over truly traumatic incidents in my past and finding that there's a kind of 'smoothing' that goes on after a few years, where you can recall the incident but most of the worst of the emotions have been ironed out, so it's more like watching an upsetting TV programme than actually being involved.

But we must have a mechanism for this in the brain. The birth of my first baby was scary, very painful, quite traumatic - and yet I went on to have four more. If we could remember, truly remember how horrific childbirth is, we'd never have more babies in a lot of cases. So maybe the brain has a function for making us forget to a certain degree, how bad these things can be to ensure the continuation of the species and to stop us living in a perpetual fug of fear of these traumatic things happening again?

Yes, I know exactly what you mean (not about giving birth, for that's something I haven't done, but about the traumatic incidents). The 'raw' pain of them eventually goes away, leaving one finally able to think of them without getting too upset.

I find that there are some traumatic experiences that have happened to me that I refuse to think about too deeply. The most recent being my operation and hospital stay. If my mind starts drifting into remembering it, I will actively stop myself from thinking about it any further because I don't want to and I can't cope with it. It's happened in a few other instances as well.

But not, (strangely?) with any paranormal/unexplained-type incidents. Those I can deal with perfectly well and in fact would welcome more, as all of the best ones seemed to happen when I was much younger. The ones I find myself 'blocking out' are always non-paranormal. For what it's worth. The 'explained' can often be much more harrowing than the 'unexplained'.

Hmm, . . . care to share ??? :ghunt:

(If you have already, or feel uncomfortable going down that particular memory lane, please excuse my nosiness!)
Hi Number Nine, could you elaborate on your haunted bedsit and the incident with the police? Start a new thread if you like, it sounds like your bedsit experiences would warrant one.

I've talked about it in detail to many people in RL over the years so it'd be easy to identify me from it. These people know nothing about other stuff I post and I'd like to keep it that way.

So without going into as much detail as I would otherwise, typical poltergeist phenomena, items we were nowhere near being thrown. There were extremely upsetting noises more or less on a daily basis that left us distressed and on edge and C seemed to be most upset by what sounded like some sort of overshadowing if not actual possession. I assumed he was exaggerating until it happened to me one night, exactly as he'd described and at the exact time he'd said it kept happening. He wasn't exaggerating.

The day we moved out we told the landlady what had been going on and she told us the previous occupants had left just days after they'd moved in and they'd been in a very distressed state but wouldn't say why. She commented that she'd wondered about our room "as well", the implication being that it wasn't just our room.

I've talked about it in detail to many people in RL over the years so it'd be easy to identify me from it. These people know nothing about other stuff I post and I'd like to keep it that way.

So without going into as much detail as I would otherwise, typical poltergeist phenomena, items we were nowhere near being thrown. There were extremely upsetting noises more or less on a daily basis that left us distressed and on edge and C seemed to be most upset by what sounded like some sort of overshadowing if not actual possession. I assumed he was exaggerating until it happened to me one night, exactly as he'd described and at the exact time he'd said it kept happening. He wasn't exaggerating.

The day we moved out we told the landlady what had been going on and she told us the previous occupants had left just days after they'd moved in and they'd been in a very distressed state but wouldn't say why. She commented that she'd wondered about our room "as well", the implication being that it wasn't just our room.

Thank you. Could you say what sort of noises? If you can't say any more I understand, I'm concerned about online privacy too.

Thank you. I understand recordings of animals being tortured is a recognised form of human torture and I'd hazard a guess very effective in breaking the victim. We were so glad to get out of there.

It sounds like you were renting a flat, I assume you ruled out another tenant playing the sounds for whatever reason, presumably malice?

It sounds like you were renting a flat, I assume you ruled out another tenant playing the sounds for whatever reason, presumably malice?
It was a self contained bedsit in a large house. Not a consideration that it was another tenant (we never met a single one in all the time we were there) because it was very easy to pinpoint exactly where the noises were coming from, different places each time including on top of furniture we were standing close to (edited, bit too much info.) - and not forgetting all the poltergeist phenomena & what seemed to be attempted possession.

Last edited:
I see, thank you, I didn't know that the sounds were so locatable and "pinpointable". I'm no expert in polt phenomenon but know the tropes and hadn't heard of those sorts of sounds occurring before, just wondered if that particular element had an outside cause, clearly not. It sounds like a particularly nasty case.

Last edited:
Ogdred Weary, my mother was 72 when I alluded to the bangings in conversation with her in 2007 and, I might add, still had all her marbles.

NumberNine, your speculations are interesting. Personally, I have always regarded our poltergeist—if such it was—as mischievous, even malevolent. How long I continued playing with the ouija board I don't remember.

My wardrobe door only ever sprang open an inch or two and always waited for me to switch my bedside lamp off and lay my head on my pillow first. I certainly had no indication there was anything "gradual" about what it did.

I believe all the other cassettes I had problems with were indeed "just ordinary music tapes," as you put it—probably of Handel, Bach and Mozart, my triumvirate of favourite composers in those days.

I still live in the house, and to this day there has been no recurrence of any of the spooky phenomena that once troubled my parents and me. And nothing could ever induce me even to touch a ouija board again.

Below is a review of Benjamin Radford's Mysterious New Mexico (2014), which I have just submitted to Amazon's UK website. It may be considered a belated reply to the same author's "The KiMo Theatre Haunting" (Fortean Times, June 2010)—essentially an earlier incarnation of the first chapter of his book—and as such may prove of interest to readers of this message board.

Something Spooky in the Fireplace

Benjamin Radford is an objective and unfailingly painstaking investigator of all things weird and mysterious—an inveterate exposer of sloppy research, too. In a field abounding with blockheads, crackpots and charlatans, with cranks of every shade and hue, he is an exception. Yet I have serious reservations about his conclusions in the first chapter of this book concerning the alleged decades-long haunting of the KiMo Theatre in Albuquerque—or, more precisely, the poltergeist activity that purportedly once wrecked a performance there of A Christmas Carol.* According to Dennis Potter, the longtime technical director at the KiMo, "weird things" happened that day: "People were forgetting their lines, people were tripping and falling on stage, odd pieces of equipment would fall from the ceiling, light bulbs exploded. Electrical cables fell down ... light gels came off and fluttered down during dramatic moments. They were having trouble getting through the show. Windows and doors on the set were either not opening, or were opening when they weren't supposed to. It was just really weird. They almost literally didn't get through the show, there were so many disruptions." However, others involved with the performance have no recollection of anything whatever going amiss. Nor did newspaper reviews of the performance mention the odd happenings Potter recalls. Radford concludes: "I don't believe that Potter is a liar or that he's crazy; he simply did something we all do from time to time: he misremembered. Voluminous psychological research has shown that human memory is remarkably fallible. The brain is not, as many suppose, a sort of tape recorder that accurately preserves what we experience. Instead, memories change over time." I wonder.

My parents and I were plagued by poltergeistlike bangings from late 1974 to early 1976, with a respite of some weeks in the intervening summer. I was twelve when they first assailed us and, unknown to anybody but myself, had been attempting to contact the spirit world with a ouija board I had fashioned out of a sheet of cardboard. Performed with a rapidity that seemed superhuman, they would come an hour or two after sunset in bursts lasting several seconds and invariably emanated from the vicinity of our living-room fireplace—the sole fireplace in the property, unused since my early childhood. At first we were treated to just one or two bursts a week; before long an evening without at least one burst was something of an anomaly—and a relief. No likely cause was ever identified. There were only the three of us in the household—four, if you include our cat, who was as unnerved by them as we were—and from the perspective of over 40 years it seems to me that they only ever rang out when my parents and I were together in the living-room. There was no plumbing in that part of the house, no gas installed, no evidence of subsidence anywhere. The fireplace was built into an exterior wall, but there was no nearby tree whose branches could have been scraping against that wall or the chimney, and searches of our garden invariably proved fruitless, as did searches upstairs and down. Though we lived in a detached house, my father asked our next-door neighbours either side whether they, too, were hearing mysterious bangings of an evening; they said they weren't.

There were other phenomena, too. Night after night one of the doors of my wardrobe would spring open while I was trying to get to sleep. (How I came to dread the sound of its doing so!) Yet it required a hefty tug to open and never did this at any other hour. It persisted in its behaviour even when I kept two seven-pound brass weights propped against it. My cassette recorder, furthermore, took to ejecting cassettes as soon as they were inserted but only—perversely—those I was most eager to listen to. A case in point was An hour with Edgar Allan Poe, a selection of the American writer's tales read by Edgar Lustgarten. Only by keeping the cassette chamber held closed could I get it to play. I examined it from every angle, measured it this way and that and checked that the reels turned smoothly but could discern not an ounce of difference between it and cassettes my recorder was willing to play. When my father returned it to the shop from which he had bought it a day or two before, the manager had no problem at all getting it to play on one of his machines. Whatever the cause of the problem, it struck me at the time as decidedly odd, and I have since heard of the same thing happening in other apparent poltergeist cases.

At some point I began logging all these spooky occurrences in a notebook kept specifically for the purpose. Then one day I decided to capture the bangings on tape. I set up my cassette recorder in the living-room, attached a microphone to it, explained to my parents what I was up to, then waited. In due course they came—but stopped the instant I pressed the record button! And they were never heard again. I believe, indeed, that all the phenomena that had been troubling us stopped that day, never to return. And in time, our long-continued occupancy of the house that had served as the backdrop to these phenomena notwithstanding, they ceased to be a subject of conversation among us.

So, do I believe that my dalliance with a homemade ouija board conjured up something supernatural—an earthbound spirit perhaps? I have had more than four decades to mull over the evidence and consider every conceivable alternative explanation. Perhaps behind everything that happened lay something perfectly mundane. Perhaps some demented prankster with nothing better to do of an evening was amusing himself by banging on the other side of our fireplace. Perhaps my wardrobe door was prompted to spring open by some difference in air pressure, though its fit in the frame was such as to allow the flow of air in and out. Perhaps my cassette recorder's perverse behaviour had some mechanical cause that escaped all my attempts at detection. But, having read extensively on the subject of poltergeists, I believe that the phenomena that define them represent something genuinely paranormal and think it very likely that my experiments with that ouija board did attract the attention of an unwelcome, albeit not uninvited, guest.

And the relevance of my story? In 2007, five years after my father died and probably 30 or so after the subject had last been raised, I alluded to the bangings in conversation with my mother, now deceased, and was astonished to discover she had absolutely no recollection of them. I reminded her of the searches upstairs and down and in the garden, in which all three of us had taken part, my attempt to capture them on tape, the weights I had kept propped against my wardrobe door, whose purpose I remember explaining to her at the time—all to no avail. A few days later I brought up the subject again, hoping our earlier conversation might have jogged her memory in the meantime, but it hadn't.

The notebook having been disposed of decades ago, the only evidence now extant that any of this ever happened is a retrospective diary entry dated 18 April 1978, in which I mention a wardrobe door that had, in late 1974, taken to springing open at night despite requiring "quite a tug to get open," two seven-pound brass weights I had kept propped against it in a vain attempt to stop it from doing so and "inexplicable bangings" that had begun plaguing us about the same time. And that exists today only by way of a computer transcription of my old handwritten diaries made between 2012 and 2015.

If Radford were to investigate, in a spirit of strict objectivity (as he undoubtedly would), the events underlying this strange narrative of mine, he would, I fear, point out that the only other surviving witness as of 2007 could not remember a thing about them, cite the complete lack of contemporary written evidence, remind us that "[v]oluminous psychological research has shown that human memory is remarkably fallible" and that "memories change over time" and conclude: "I don't believe that Hutton is a liar or that he's crazy; he simply did something we all do from time to time: he misremembered."

No, I am not a liar. Nor, so far as I know, am I crazy. Have I simply imagined that my parents and I were routinely assailed by mysterious bangings for about one and a half years, that we made repeated searches of the house and garden to determine their cause, that my father asked our next-door neighbours either side (in my presence) whether they, too, were hearing them, that I once tried to capture them on tape, that my wardrobe door persistently sprang open at night, that I kept weights propped against it to stop it from doing so? Was that notebook a figment of my imagination, that diary entry the product of a "remarkably fallible" memory? I would have to be staggeringly, stupendously, monumentally, almost preternaturally delusional to have imagined all this and more.

As for the "[v]oluminous psychological research" to which Radford refers, what exactly does it prove? Only that some of us, not all, seriously misremember events. For example, the morning after the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster in 1986 Ulric Neisser distributed a short questionnaire to 106 students in a colleague's introductory psychology class at Emory University, asking how they had learnt about it, where they were, what they were doing and so on.† Three years later 44 of them who were still on campus completed the questionnaire afresh. The disparities between the new and the original answers were in some cases astounding. One participant, RT, first wrote: "I was in my religion class and some people walked in and started talking about [it]. I didn't know any details except that it had exploded.... Then after class I went to my room and watched the TV program talking about it and I got all the details from that." Three years later she wrote: "When I first heard about the explosion I was sitting in my freshman dorm room with my roommate and we were watching TV. It came on a news flash and we were both totally shocked." Another participant, GA, first wrote that she had heard the news in the cafeteria: it had made her so sick she had been unable to finish her lunch. Three years later she believed she had been in her dormitory room at the time: a girl in her hall screaming "The space shuttle just blew up" had prompted her to turn her television on for further particulars of the tragedy. Yet another participant, MS, who first heard the news at Emory, as had all Neisser's subjects, believed three years later that she had been at home with her parents at the time. However, many of the later responses proved at least partly right; a few almost completely so. But how, you may ask, do I know my memory is not as fickle as whatever vaguely analogous faculty resides in the heads of RT and her fellow nitwits, GA and MS? When I transcribed my diaries some years ago and found myself reading entries I had for the most part not set eyes on since writing them decades before, I was struck time and again by how accurate my recall of events was. True, there was much I had forgotten or remembered imperfectly, but my memory had not played tricks on me: I had not misremembered.

Is there voluminous psychological research on the human tendency to forget anomalous experiences? It seems not. The census of hallucinations conducted by the Society for Psychical Research between 1889 and 1892 showed that participants rapidly forgot having had either tactile, auditory or visual hallucinations.‡ Walter Franklin Prince, writing four decades later, said it was "the rule" in his experience for an "occult story" to become less detailed and colourful with the passage of time.§ It seems likely, therefore, that my mother's complete failure to remember events that had left an indelible impression on me was due simply to their having fallen outside her frame of reference. It makes me wonder whether Potter's story of actors forgetting their lines and tripping and falling on stage, of light bulbs exploding and electrical cables falling down, of windows and doors either refusing to open or opening when they were not supposed to and so on can really be dismissed as the product of an overactive imagination. It also makes me wonder how many poltergeist cases that go unreported, like mine, are later forgotten by all concerned.

* Benjamin Radford, Mysterious New Mexico (2014), pp. 5–30.

† Ulric Neisser and Nicole Harsch, "Phantom flashbulbs: False recollections of hearing the news about Challenger," in Eugene Winograd and Ulric Neisser (editors), Affect and accuracy in recall (1992), pp. 9–31.

Proceedings of the Society for Psychical Research (vol. X, 1894), pp. 62–68.

§ Walter Franklin Prince, Noted Witnesses for Psychic Occurrences (1928), p. 130.
Thankyou a well written and detailed account.

I think you are absolutely right. When my mother died seven years after having a complete mental and physical breakdown, and I had been her sole carer (because she thought everyone else wanted to kill her), I felt an immediate sense of relief. But a week or two later, after the funeral, I glanced at the journal I had kept of her daily condition, a thick batch of scrawled notes actually, and was immediately confronted with the full horror of what had happened. I recalled the evidence about concentration camp survivors -- those who couldn't forget the horrors they had endured remained in an horrendous condition, those who could forget them made a full recovery and adapted to their new lives. So I immediately threw all the notes away, and aside from a few isolated exceptions, I managed to forget, and was a lot happier for it! I can't really compare this to having a baby, mind you. But I think this is one of the situations where Freud was correct, we do tend to repress horrible memories, and thank goodness we can.
Fascinating post.

I remember reading a holocaust survivor recall that whilst in the camps those who yearned for everything they had lost (home, family, religion etc) were the ones who succumbed and those that shut it out and got on with surviving from day-to-day had a much higher survival rate (I think it was Imre Kertesz)

I recall (or do I?) that Rob Mcluhan, now principle editor of the online Psi Encylopedia i believe, argued in his book Randi's Prize for the existence of a psychological process he deemed "rational gravity" whereby, contrary to the usual claim, people are drawn to accepting any mundane or debunking explanation for an experience or event, however unsubstantiated that explanation may be, provided it restores our sense of normality and the peace of mind that goes with it.

I can't find the reference (perhaps i misremembered it!) but i seem to recall that he also noted evidence that - again contrary to what is generally claimed - peoples' retelling of extraordinary experiences actually diminishes with time. That's to say (by analogy) the fish that got away becomes smaller not bigger in the long term retelling. People doubt their original memories when looking back and downplay them by settling on what "must have been" or "probably was".

I stumbled on an example of myself doing this while re-reading my own posts on these boards the other day (As an aside, the FT forums are a godsend for maintaining accuracy. I tend to report things that happen to me straight away on here, so if something related occurs later im always able to find my original on the day account of the first experience, dates, times and all rather than relying on what I merely "remember remembering".) Because most of my worthwhile encounters with the fortean tend to be long winded there are occasions i look to give a brief throwaway example of an odd encounter. One such can be summarised as the day i felt an invisible someone tap me on the shoulder and and hour later found out they were taking a body away from the flat opposite, the connection between these things being one for the imagination to play with.

The relevance to this thread is that ive found when telling that throwaway anecdote i present it with great emphasis on me immediately dismissing the sensation of being touched as a muscular twitch for want of any reason to interpret it as ghostly at the time. I imply the supernatural cause occurred to me as a possibility only AFTER hearing about the death in my vicinity. That's how ive been presenting it. But the other day i stumbled on my real time account of it on these boards, and that's not how it was. It turns out the sense something uncanny had happened was present BEFORE i learned of the death. It felt so like a human touch at my shoulder that i had apparently started looking online for threads and articles about that kind of experience and had started a thread on here on the subject. I came back to the thread an hour later with an update reporting i'd just heard about they were taking a body away across the road.

In short, with regard to the actual sensation of touch itself, I clearly had a sense of the uncanny at the time far more pronounced than ive remembered and reported it subsequently.
I totally agree with this diminishing of supernatural events in memory. When i was a teenager living in a house i thought was haunted i remember seeing a box of paints rise up from the ground and do a somersault in mid air. As the years have gone by that "'somersault' became the box just jumping up in mid air, and as I've gotten older Ive convinced myself that the guitar lead (i was plsying guitar at the time) must have somehow been caught up underneath it and i must have caused the box to jump by pulling on the guitar lead while playing. I remember trying to test this at the time and found there was no way i could have. In my mind though, I have now convinced myself that I must have been sonewhat responsible and nothing supernatural, or even that interesting occurred at all.

Back