• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Something strange in my foot

mr_macabre

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
One day around Christmas when I was aged about nine or ten, my parents left me alone in the house playing with my new toys while they visited neighbours.

After a little while I remember I developed a dull, painful ache in the heel of my right foot, which got worse and worse. I kept checking the painful area, but there were no breaks to the skin or discolouration.

About an hour later the ache got really itchy, so I sat on the floor and started scratching at it, and began to feel something quite hard just below the skin. Some more scratching later and the skin broke, and I could see something smooth and shiny, like polished metal, underneath.

I carefully picked and peeled at the the skin and after a while was able to remove what turned out to be a piece of shiny metallic glass about the size of a thumbnail.

To this day I can't work out what it could have been, and when I told my parents they just shrugged their shoulders.

The most obvious explanation is that because it was Christmas I'd stepped on a broken bauble and some of the glass had wedged in my foot. But if that was the case, surely I'd have felt it go in, and how would the skin have been able to grow over it like that?

The only other thing I remember about that day was that for some reason the house was bitterly cold, even though we had central heating (I don't think my parents would just go off and leave me with the heating switched off!).

Interesting stuff. There are other examples of incredibly similar stories to this on the IHTM database that you might be interested to read, I might have a look later and try and dig a few out. I recall one in particular where someone was scratching a point behind his ear and eventually a piece of something comes out, he describes it as being like a feather quill.

Interesting. Why have none of the "implants" from ufo type stuff, which were 'being analysed' years ago, surfaced with the findings? (Apart from a few which were dodgy anyway) Nothing's been found to be anything short of earthly origin and/or utter rubbish.

Sounds like this shard had been in the foot for some time and only surfaced at this point. There are stories of sharp objects, such as needles, migrating around the body but I'd guess that this thing had been trodden on months or years before and stayed in the foot, being no trouble so long as it sat more or less horizontally. Something disturbed it and it came to the surface, causing an itch as it burrowed out. :?:

I agree it was probably something that had gone in a long time before and had finally made it`s way to the surface for some reason. I had the tip of a mechanical pencil (about a cm long metal piece) go into the base of my finger, then come out of the back of my hand almost 10 years later. Didn`t realize it was stuck in my hand until it came out of a weird painful itchy spot much later... Took me about an hour to figure out what it was and where it had come from.
Something similar happened to my cousin, who apparently stepped on a piece of glass as a baby, had it stuck in their foot then removed and bandaged up... Only to have the tip that broke off inside come out years later. Her mother remembered the event and recognized the glass.

It may have been something stepped on years before - possibly an event long enough before that you couldn`t recall it at all.

that really sounds like a bit of a bauble, we had some 60's/70's shiny-glass type ones here for years and every year at least one would shatter and bits would end up in someone's foot.
it's quite possible that a shard of anything could pierce the top layer of skin and slide between that and the softer layer underneath, especially i would imagine where skin in tougher, say, on your heel. i speak from experience here as the victim of a 2inch long sliver of wood which decided to wedge itself in my palm as I ran my hand down a banister. it didn't hurt and didn't bleed but was right under the top layer of skin on my hand, as though the skin had grown over it.

Does that sound like a plausible solution?

As a child I had my knee stitched after an accident and for years afterwards bits of gravel would pop out of the scar. The las appeared soon after I had my first baby, at 21.

Silvery glass does sound exactly like a broken xmas bauble. They were made of really thin glass. I remember seeing one of our broken, when I was about 7, and I managed to cut my chin with it. Very sharp indeed!

Back