• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Something That Used To Happen To Me A Lot When I Was A Child

yoohoo

Fresh Blood
Hi, I'm new here. I've been experiencing things I can't explain since I was a little child and hope to share them on here at some point to see if others have experienced similar.

The first I wanted to mention used to happen very often during my childhood but started fizzling out as I got older. I'm now 36 and it's probably only happened a handful of times in the last 20 years.

I used to see what I can only describe as droplets of light. Imagine a day where it is raining very hard; big raindrops are coming down. Now imagine you watch as one big raindrop lands on something - let's say a gutter. Now imagine that big raindrop turning in to a glowing white or blue light, dripping from the gutter in front of you and down to the floor. It was a bit similar to this. When I used to walk through doorways, I often saw what looked like a big raindrop of glowing white or blue light quickly drip down from the top of the door frame to the floor right in front of me or it might have been the other side of the door and in to the next room (coming from the ceiling and hitting the floor). It used to happen in different areas of the house so it was never in the same room. I'm sure I told my Mum at the time and she thought I was strange. It used to happen very often in my childhood home but not as much since moving out although it's not stopped completely. I've lived in my recent house for 5 years and think it's only happened a couple of times here.

I was curious if anyone else has experienced anything similar? I always wondered if it was some energy of some kind as it used to glow white or blue.

Hello :)
Great first post !
There is a phenomenon discussed around here called ‘the drip’
(Big drops falling inside and onto some people,) never heard of whether they were glowing though.
Did one ever drip onto you ?

Not experienced that myself though. Fascinating.

I've never heard of the drip, but always when I look at a clear sky in the daytime, I see hundreds of tiny white circles shooting off into all directions. When I was small I would ask my family what they were, and none of them knew what I was talking about. I just assumed it was some sort of eye-related phenomenon. I still see them, but haven't thought about it much in years. I wonder if it's related?

Hi, I'm new here. I've been experiencing things I can't explain since I was a little child and hope to share them on here at some point to see if others have experienced similar.

The first I wanted to mention used to happen very often during my childhood but started fizzling out as I got older. I'm now 36 and it's probably only happened a handful of times in the last 20 years.

I used to see what I can only describe as droplets of light. Imagine a day where it is raining very hard; big raindrops are coming down. Now imagine you watch as one big raindrop lands on something - let's say a gutter. Now imagine that big raindrop turning in to a glowing white or blue light, dripping from the gutter in front of you and down to the floor. It was a bit similar to this. When I used to walk through doorways, I often saw what looked like a big raindrop of glowing white or blue light quickly drip down from the top of the door frame to the floor right in front of me or it might have been the other side of the door and in to the next room (coming from the ceiling and hitting the floor). It used to happen in different areas of the house so it was never in the same room. I'm sure I told my Mum at the time and she thought I was strange. It used to happen very often in my childhood home but not as much since moving out although it's not stopped completely. I've lived in my recent house for 5 years and think it's only happened a couple of times here.

I was curious if anyone else has experienced anything similar? I always wondered if it was some energy of some kind as it used to glow white or blue.

Reminded me of how our senses were so much more acute when we were little and then become dulled with age.
You just described a little drop of childhood's magic which, sadly, you are unlikely to recapture as an adult.
Your drops of colour have probably gone to the same place as imaginary friends.

The following lyrics extracted from Pink Floyd's "High Hopes" touches on this:

"Beyond the horizon of the place we lived when we were young
In a world of magnets and miracles
Our thoughts strayed constantly and without boundary
The ringing of the division bell had begun

There was a ragged band that followed in our footsteps
Running before time took our dreams away
Leaving the myriad small creatures trying to tie us to the ground
To a life consumed by slow decay

The grass was greener
The light was brighter
With friends surrounded
The nights of wonder

Looking beyond the embers of bridges glowing behind us
To a glimpse of how green it was on the other side
Steps taken forwards but sleepwalking back again
Dragged by the force of some inner tide

At a higher altitude with flag unfurled
We reached the dizzy heights of that dreamed of world

Encumbered forever by desire and ambition
There's a hunger still unsatisfied
Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon
Though down this road we've been so many times

The grass was greener
The light was brighter
The taste was sweeter
The nights of wonder
With friends surrounded
The dawn mist glowing
The water flowing
The endless river

Forever and ever"

Last edited:
I've never heard of the drip, but always when I look at a clear sky in the daytime, I see hundreds of tiny white circles shooting off into all directions. When I was small I would ask my family what they were, and none of them knew what I was talking about. I just assumed it was some sort of eye-related phenomenon. I still see them, but haven't thought about it much in years. I wonder if it's related?

I think what you're seeing might have something to do with really tiny blood vessels in the eye. Under certain conditions* I sometimes see small dark shapes moving about but they follow each other and are in time with my heartbeat. I used to think they were individual cells but that would be impossible. I do think I can just about make out the walls of the veins though, small as they are.

*the certain conditions being first thing after waking up and looking at a clear blue sky. Alcohol consumption the night before is another factor, leading me to believe an increase in blood pressure might be involved.

I will have to have a look at the drip thread, thank you.

In reply to posters above:

I've still seen the droplets of light since I got older; the last one being a few months ago although wish I could see them more. I've had my eyes checked out at the opticians regularly. I'm sure these drips never happened in time with my heartbeat. It was just bizarre why they always happened around doorways, inside, never outdoors! I never felt them on me. They never felt of anything because they always disappeared towards the ground before I stepped forward. The strange thing is, even though I've had many unexplained experiences in my life, I've never had imaginary friends either - if that helps lol. P.S. These light droplets have never made a sound either and there is only ever one that I used to see at a time

Last edited:
I've never heard of the drip, but always when I look at a clear sky in the daytime, I see hundreds of tiny white circles shooting off into all directions?

I've had something like that too all my life and have always regarded them as "tadpoles" because they seem to have little tails.
They mostly appear when I get up out of a chair or out of bed and they've never worried me because I put it down to a slight temporary change in blood pressure or whatever..:)

I've read about the 'phantom drip' now but most people seem to feel the wetness and don't see a glowing white or blue. I have never felt anything as it's always landed on the ground before I have stepped forward. There has only ever been one droplet, never ever any more with it. I have also never heard a dripping noise either. Very strange! This is going to be bugging me for the rest of my life :isearch:

I've had something like that too all my life and have always regarded them as "tadpoles" because they seem to have little tails.
They mostly appear when I get up out of a chair or out of bed and they've never worried me because I put it down to a slight temporary change in blood pressure or whatever..:)
I have the tadpoles too, but mine are floaters caused by the substance at the back of the eye breaking away, harmless unless there's a sudden increase in them.

yoohoo:

When you saw / see the drop, are you always in motion? Or do you also see them when you're standing / sitting still?

You mentioned having your eyes checked ... Do you wear eyeglasses or contacts? If so, were you wearing some sort of lenses back in childhood as well?

I have the tadpoles too, but mine are floaters caused by the substance at the back of the eye breaking away, harmless unless there's a sudden increase in them.

Mine are not floaters, they're like little bright shining tadpoles with a tail..:)

my search has packed up, i just get nil points, where is this phantom, phantom drip thread ?

yoohoo:

When you saw / see the drop, are you always in motion? Or do you also see them when you're standing / sitting still?

You mentioned having your eyes checked ... Do you wear eyeglasses or contacts? If so, were you wearing some sort of lenses back in childhood as well?

I never used to wear glasses or anything when I was younger so it was always seen with the naked eye. I used to see the droplet when I opened a door usually or walked through a doorway and in to the next room. Just walking normally.

Does the droplet always appear in the same relative horizontal position within your field of vision? For example, is it always 'dead ahead' (center)? To the left? To the right?

... Or does it appear in different positions (e.g., sometimes to the left, sometimes to the right)?

Hey I just remembered that migraines can cause strange visuals!
I've had migraines most of my life (about once every couple of months) and am so used to them that they're no problem, the video below is a good representation of the blurred area and flashing "neon sign" that I get, but mine come on very slowly over about half an hour, than slowly shrink and disappear over the following half hour, leaving me with a slight headache for a while.
I've not noticed any specific triggers, but I think having my TV and monitor screen too bright might have something to do with it, so I always keep the brightness and contrast turned down..:)

Does the droplet always appear in the same relative horizontal position within your field of vision? For example, is it always 'dead ahead' (center)? To the left? To the right?

... Or does it appear in different positions (e.g., sometimes to the left, sometimes to the right)?

From what I can remember, it always appeared in the centre.

Hey I just remembered that migraines can cause strange visuals!
I've had migraines most of my life (about once every couple of months) and am so used to them that they're no problem, the video below is a good representation of the blurred area and flashing "neon sign" that I get, but mine come on very slowly over about half an hour, than slowly shrink and disappear over the following half hour, leaving me with a slight headache for a while.
I've not noticed any specific triggers, but I think having my TV and monitor screen too bright might have something to do with it, so I always keep the brightness and contrast turned down..:)

If it was a migraine then I must have had one almost every day as a child. I've not really had many headaches in my life that I can remember.

I've had these a few times in my life but only really as an adult. The droplet is nothing like them.
was in response to post above

your impression is that the phenomenon exists outside your eye/brain axis rather than within ? would it be affected by movement of your head and eyes, has that ever happened or all over too quick ?

I've had these a few times in my life but only really as an adult. The droplet is nothing like them.

Yup, I used to have migraines and saw all the various effects and they're not 'drips'.

I used to get migraines without any other effects at all, just my head would prickle for half an hour and then the awful sick 'headache' (we all know migraines are more than 'a headache', right?) would start.

Now I get the visual disturbances - a blank spot in my vision and strobing flashes around the outsides, but I don't get the pain any more, just a slight queasiness. First time it happened I was at work and suddenly couldn't see half of the office. Was panicking I was having a stroke until another sufferer told me what was happening. So visual disturbances can change from time to time.

As for the phantom visible drip...no idea. But children process things differently to adults and see things adults don't (not always paranormal things either, I've never forgotten being out for a walk and my daughter (about ten) said 'oh look, a dragonfly hatching!' We'd all walked past it. Went back to watch and it was the most beautiful sight. Not one adult had noticed.

Migraines...Now I get the visual disturbances - a blank spot in my vision and strobing flashes around the outsides, but I don't get the pain any more, just a slight queasiness..

Me too, I still get the blank spot and strobes, but the splitting headache doesn't happen any more which is good news for all those who get the headache, as it might clear up on its own..:)

It's not a migraine aura effect, because it's too consistent and too focused / transient a visual perturbation.

Yoohoo:

To the best of your recollection, does seeing the drip correlate with moving from a darker space (room, etc.) toward or into a more brightly illuminated space (or vice versa)?

It's not a migraine aura effect, because it's too consistent and too focused / transient a visual perturbation ...
i dont know if that can be stated definitively given the sheer breadth of documented effects ... copied from wikipedia :
An aura sensation can include some or a combination of the following:
Visual changes
Edit
Bright lights and blobs
Zigzag lines
Distortions in the size or shape of objects
Vibrating visual field
Scintillating scotoma
Shimmering, pulsating patches, often curved
Tunnel vision
Scotoma
Blind or dark spots in the field of vision
Curtain-like effect over one eye
Slowly spreading spots
Kaleidoscope effects on visual field
Temporary blindness in one or both eyes[6][7]
Heightened sensitivity to light
Auditory changes
Edit
Hearing voices or sounds that do not exist: true auditory hallucinations
Modification of voices or sounds in the environment: buzzing, tremolo, amplitude modulation or other modulations
Heightened sensitivity to hearing
Other sensations
Edit
Strange smells (Phantosmia) or tastes (Gustatory hallucinations)
Heightened sensitivity to smell
Synesthesia[8]
Déjà vu or Jamais vu
Cephalic aura, a perception of movement of the head or inside the head
Abdominal aura such as an epigastric rising sensation
Nausea[7]
A sudden feeling of anxiety, fear or foreboding
Numbness or tingling sensation (Paresthesia)[7]
Weakness on one side of the body (Hemiparesis)[7]
Feelings of being separated from or floating above one's body (Dissociation)
Sensation of limbs or teeth growing
Feeling of overheating and sudden perspiration
Inability to speak (Aphasia) or slurred speech
Confusion; forgetting how to do common tasks or comprehend spoken words

Back