• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Something That Used To Happen To Me A Lot When I Was A Child

i dont know if that can be stated definitively given the sheer breadth of documented effects ... copied from wikipedia :

I've dealt with severe migraine conditions (both classic headaches and the so-called 'painless' / 'silent' variety) for over 40 years. The centering in the visual field, correlation with movement, and absence of other visual disturbances essentially rule out a migraine effect. There's still the possibility the drip effect could be the result of a migraine-like neural glitch triggered by (e.g.) a blood pressure fluctuation, but I see this as far less likely than an ocular issue.

ah, ive only had 5 or so ... first one was different to each of others as preceded the next by about 20 years and was partial, lasting only about a minute, so they can change in format ... interestingly wiki had scotoma tending to start in centre of vision, although mine always wound up there ...

Last edited:
The first thing that occurred to me on reading your description, Youhoo, was also migraine.
As I kept reading, I thought you might have synesthesia triggered by moving through doorways. Have you considered that?
When you see the drops, do they stay move with and stay in your field of vision when you turn your head, or do the drops stay in one place (and thereby indicate they exist independently of you)?

EnolaGaia brings up a good possibility in the migraine-like neural glitch. I would lean more toward mysterious neural glitches than eye problems since brains are more complicated and full of weird surprises that we don't know about yet. Unless of course, the drips indicated they exist independently of you . . .

On occasion I've had visual migraines. They look like greasy, multicolored, wrinkled plastic wrap that start out as a hole in my vision, then grow larger and more transparent, and move from left to right. They fade away after about 20 minutes. Only once did I ever get a headache after it, and it just felt like a heavy ache that was located about an inch and a half outside my forehead. It was very strange and I found it very interesting to experience that. I am also very grateful to not have the traditional hell migraines. The worst part is that at first I think I'm going blind because there's a hole in my vision, but then it expands and I realize it's just another visual migraine.

Incidentally hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar level) can cause spots before the eyes and blurred vision, it usually hits diabetics but could happen to anybody even if they're not diabetic, a fact I can vouch for because I'm not diabetic but have been getting hit several times a year over many years out of the blue.
First I feel faint and lightheaded for a few minutes, then start getting blurry spots in my eyes and a ravenous hunger as though my stomach is an incinerator screaming out for food, so I raid the pantry and gorge on whatever's in there, preferably sugary cakes and jam buns and bananas, washed down with sugary pop, and within half an hour I'm right as rain again, it's not a big thing.
The link below lists the full symptoms etc-

Sometimes there's no obvious reason why low blood sugar happens.
Very occasionally, it can happen in people who don't have diabetes.
Have a sugary drink or snack – try something like a small glass of non-diet fizzy drink or fruit juice, a small handful of sweets, or four or five dextrose tablets.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/low-blood-sugar-hypoglycaemia/

Incidentally hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar level) can cause spots before the eyes and blurred vision, it usually hits diabetics but could happen to anybody even if they're not diabetic, a fact I can vouch for because I'm not diabetic but have been getting hit several times a year over many years out of the blue.
First I feel faint and lightheaded for a few minutes, then start getting blurry spots in my eyes and a ravenous hunger as though my stomach is an incinerator screaming out for food, so I raid the pantry and gorge on whatever's in there, preferably sugary cakes and jam buns and bananas, washed down with sugary pop, and within half an hour I'm right as rain again, it's not a big thing.
The link below lists the full symptoms etc-

Have a sugary drink or snack – try something like a small glass of non-diet fizzy drink or fruit juice, a small handful of sweets, or four or five dextrose tablets.

Yes, I've had this happen quite a few times always accompanied with a lightheaded feeling that can be sorted out by eating something, so I assume it's a blood sugar issue although I'm not diabetic. I also get the occasional ocular migraine and they produce similar effects too.

The worst part is that at first I think I'm going blind because there's a hole in my vision, but then it expands and I realize it's just another visual migraine.

Yes it can be pretty startling.
With me I don't get a "black hole", instead it's as though people's eyes or mouths have suddenly been airbrushed out like in the photoshop below and I think "what the heck???" until I realise it's just a migraine coming on..:)

o-CLINT-EASTWOOD-facebook.jpg

Yes it can be pretty startling.
With me I don't get a "black hole", instead it's as though people's eyes or mouths have suddenly been airbrushed out like in the photoshop below and I think "what the heck???" until I realise it's just a migraine coming on..:)

View attachment 14567
Like that scene in The Matrix... whoa.

By rights this post belongs in the Strange Coincindences? thread, but (please forgive me) -- just this afternoon I finished reading a mystery where the killer was revealed to be a police commissioner who suffered from attacks of low blood sugar, especially when he was stressed. He would gobble sugar cubes to get over the attacks. Until reading your post, I thought this was a little far fetched.

The police commissioner gave himself away by eating 6 paper wrapped sugar cubes, and throwing the paper wrappings on the ground near the body. Litterbug.

By rights this post belongs in the Strange Coincindences? thread, but (please forgive me) -- just this afternoon I finished reading a mystery where the killer was revealed to be a police commissioner who suffered from attacks of low blood sugar, especially when he was stressed. He would gobble sugar cubes to get over the attacks. Until reading your post, I thought this was a little far fetched.
Not far-fetched. I keep sugar cubes next to my bed. On one or two occasions, I've had a low blood sugar attack and had to just lie there sucking on sugar cubes.

I noticed recently, low mood and sluggishness after eating, so I consulted google for diagnostic advice.

I was led to the condition ‘hypoglycaemia’ - with slight dread at this unknown term I followed the links for treatment of this condition.

It said “eat something sugary after a large meal”

Basically have a pudding !

I can manage that ! Thanks doctor Google ! :)

In my younger days I was in a cycling club and learnt that an attack of hypoglycaemia was a commonly-known thing in the cycling world and they even had a name for it- "the Bonk".
The remedy against it was quite simple, namely NEVER cycle on an empty stomach and the Bonk won't get you, that's why club cyclists carry small bags ("musettes") containing choc bars, bananas, sugary sweets, cakes and bottle of pop, and whip something out every so often during rides to munch it while pedalling.
Also of course carry good old water in a polythene water bottle clamped to your bike frame..
The trick is NOT to wait til your tummy is empty and you feel hungry or thirsty, but to eat and drink at regular intervals to keep your tum topped up.
The Bonk only got me once on a bike ride when I was on my own and inexperienced and couldn't be bothered to eat, my blood sugar levels must have bottomed out and I felt faint with a hissing in the ears and spots before the eyes, started sweating and felt limp and developed a ravenous hunger/thirst and had to pull over and sit propped up against a farm gate munching and drinking like crazy to recover.
I was a fast learner so when I later entered a 100-mile Cycling Reliability Trial in the dead of winter, I was wise enough to carry a small rucksack full of food and drink.
People who weren't as wise were coming up to me during the event trying to beg stuff from me but I said "sorry, I've only got enough for myself" and they were abandoning the event in droves to go home and raid the fridge, and only me and a few other wise men finished...:)

Back