• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'Sometimes My Mind Plays Tricks on Me'

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
A 24/7 football fan, I browse a few related forums.

So... this debate comes up on one of them...

A subscriber mentions his recollections of when the club's old stand used to have the club badge on it, 'large and proud'...

This is challenged by others, who post unequivocal evidence from contemporary photos, match day program covers, etc. that encompass the entire lifetime of said old stand, and prove such a large motif never existed.

I thought that was it... and then the person who initially expressed his recollections responds:

(I am 'toning down' the actual language used).

'I live near the ground, walked that road a thousand times and I'm telling you, the club badge was always on the old stand'...

Ever come across a similar experience?

Min, will absolutely pursue that thread - thank ya

The bizarre thing was that despite all the overwhelming, conclusive,
unequivocal evidence - and this was *profoundly, seriously* debated on the fan's forum for about 3 months, as the photographs evidence accumulated - ultimately, he remained so adamant!

Ah, yes, the Mandela Effect! I've also experienced it a load of times, most recently with Raiders of the Lost Ark. I would swear blind that the scene with the poisoned dates takes place on a roof-top in the bright sunshine. It does not.

Min, will absolutely pursue that thread - thank ya

The bizarre thing was that despite all the overwhelming, conclusive,
unequivocal evidence - and this was *profoundly, seriously* debated on the fan's forum for about 3 months, as the photographs evidence accumulated - ultimately, he remained so adamant!

The human memory is fallible.

The human mind refuses to believe this is the case.

Reminds me of a Guardian article from some time in the late 80s/early 90s about trees that are definitely present for decades and are then cut down but re-appear in later records.

Sometimes these trees are instead on the opposite side of a road end of a village from where witnesses or old engraving place them.

The piece ends with the author confidently waiting for a group of venerable elms or whatever to come back.

Reminds me of a Guardian article from some time in the late 80s/early 90s about trees that are definitely present for decades and are then cut down but re-appear in later records.

Sometimes these trees are instead on the opposite side of a road end of a village from where witnesses or old engraving place them.

The piece ends with the author confidently waiting for a group of venerable elms or whatever to come back.
Not elms. These are plane trees. They fly away to foreign climes for a bit, then return.

Sometimes I give myself the creeps
Sometimes my mind plays tricks on me
It all keeps adding up
I think I'm cracking up
Am I just paranoid?
Or am I just stoned

Sometimes I give myself the creeps
Sometimes my mind plays tricks on me
It all keeps adding up
I think I'm cracking up
Am I just paranoid?
Or am I just stoned
So... ultimately... even here, this story isn't recognised?

If I could have had a bet on that, I would...

Why is there seemingly no trace of it anywhere!!!

Right... scrap that... it was intended as a reply to another question I had posed on the 'Urban Myths' forum.

I just knew someone, with obvious nefarious intent, would quote Green Day and confuse me...

Ah, yes, the Mandela Effect! I've also experienced it a load of times, most recently with Raiders of the Lost Ark. I would swear blind that the scene with the poisoned dates takes place on a roof-top in the bright sunshine. It does not.
For many a year, I recalled the legendary Ronnie Radford 85th minute strike for Hereford v Newcastle, in that shock 1972 FA Cup Hereford victory as the ultimate winning goal. It was only a couple of years ago I realised it was the equaliser and the winner was scored by Ricky George in extra time.

To this day, I'm still not convinced...

Why is there seemingly no trace of it anywhere!!
I feel sure that if the football fan in question were to ask enough people, he would eventually find someone else who remembers this badge. That is how it seems to work anyway. I found a whole website devoted to one of mine (the word dilemna which in this universe, you weirdo's spell "dilemma".)

So... ultimately... even here, this story isn't recognised?

If I could have had a bet on that, I would...

Why is there seemingly no trace of it anywhere!!!

I know exactly what you mean.

As a kid in the 60s I would climb on the shed roof to look at the views. One of the few things I could see was a lovely late Victorian church tower, not a steeple, with a timber and plaster effect.

The timber was painted green and the plaster yellow. It looked beautiful when glimpsed among rows of terraced houses. I'd also walk past it regularly and went to Brownies there so I knew it well.

Some time in the '70s the paint job was changed to a more conventional black and white. Nobody, not a single person, now remembers it being green and yellow. It would look the same in an old b&w photo so a picture taken pre-70s might be of the old colour scheme; but nobody could tell.

Same with a Victorian church steeple across town with a copper roof. It's now green but must have been an awesome sight when first built. You'd think such an unusual feature would be quite famous, at least locally, but there's no mention I can find of anyone being proud of it or taking people to see it.

I've also badgered people to remember a time when a building near here had its name in huge letters across the facade. Nobody remembers that either, and I don't know when the lettering disappeared; probably in the early 80s when it was done up.

However, I've recently come across old photos of the building with the lettering present so I WAS RIGHT MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!

cough

All very baffling.

Last edited:
Does this count as well...

It's a personal experience.

So... we're on a family break in Blackpool long time ago and the Queen is visiting. Had to look up when that could have been and seems like 1994, which would make sense.

I'm a keen amateur photographer at that time and duly armed with a superb Canon EOS 10, take the kids to see Her Majesty.

We have front row position as the procession comes along the boulevard and with no hindrance I took some stunning photographs of the Queen in her car.

There was, most certainty one, if not more, when, as the Queen's car passed
*right in front of us and within a few feet* and she moved forward from that seating position to give us all that iconic wave of appreciation.

Magic stuff. I have a spectacular close up photo of the Queen waving to the crowds.

For, what is now quite evidently some twenty years and more, I told this story and always had in mind that one photograph.

However... those holiday snaps, as of course happens, became misplaced, until around 18 months ago.

And there we go, haven't seen this, probably a fabulous photograph, since then.

For sure, there's the Royal procession coming towards us and...

...why is the next photo... Lady Penelope's car from the Thunderbirds exhibition which was on show at the Winter Gardens...

Not a problem, these old photos get mixed up, so it will all be there.

Except, that they're not...

OK, the original negatives are still in the photo folder, so let's have a look here...

...and duly confirmed, one photo of the Queen's car arriving and the next is Lady Penelope's car.

Took a while... eventually concluded that although I had assuredly taken all those pictures of the Queen passing right by and waving, an elementary problem with even the finest autofocus lenses, was how they struggled to cope with filming through glass...

Until that truly devastating realisation, I would gladly have regaled that story for twenty odd years and could even show you the photographs.

So... we're on a family break in Blackpool long time ago and the Queen is visiting. Had to look up when that could have been and seems like 1994, which would make sense.

I'm a keen amateur photographer at that time and duly armed with a superb Canon EOS 10, take the kids to see Her Majesty.

We have front row position as the procession comes along the boulevard and with no hindrance I took some stunning photographs of the Queen in her car.

*right in front of us and within a few feet* and she moved forward from that seating position to give us all that iconic wave of appreciation.

Magic stuff. I have a spectacular close up photo of the Queen waving to the crowds.

For, what is now quite evidently some twenty years and more, I told this story and always had in mind that one photograph.

However... those holiday snaps, as of course happens, became misplaced, until around 18 months ago.

...why is the next photo... Lady Penelope's car from the Thunderbirds exhibition which was on show at the Winter Gardens...

OK, the original negatives are still in the photo folder, so let's have a look here...

...and duly confirmed, one photo of the Queen's car arriving and the next is Lady Penelope's car.

Took a while... eventually concluded that although I had assuredly taken all those pictures of the Queen passing right by and waving, an elementary problem with even the finest autofocus lenses, was how they struggled to cope with filming through glass...

Until that truly devastating realisation, I would gladly have regaled that story for twenty odd years and could even show you the photographs.

I was about to take issue with you calling 1994 'a long time ago' for a moment, until I realised that it's 24 years ago! In my head it's only a handful of years, and the most ridiculous thing about that is that I have a son born in 1994, who is a strapping six foot accountant.
But my brain refuses to recognise it as being more than, say, five years ago...

I was about to take issue with you calling 1994 'a long time ago' for a moment, until I realised that it's 24 years ago! In my head it's only a handful of years, and the most ridiculous thing about that is that I have a son born in 1994, who is a strapping six foot accountant.
But my brain refuses to recognise it as being more than, say, five years ago...
I had to look up when that assuredly took place... aforementioned Queen's visit nailing the date

1994?... don't think so - it was definitely later than that...

I had to look up when that assuredly took place... aforementioned Queen's visit nailing the date

1994?... don't think so - it was definitely later than that...
2.830021.jpg

I feel sure that if the football fan in question were to ask enough people, he would eventually find someone else who remembers this badge. That is how it seems to work anyway. I found a whole website devoted to one of mine (the word dilemna which in this universe, you weirdo's spell "dilemma".)

Min, the daft thing is, nobody could convince him otherwise... despite all that overwhelming and evidential historical photographic otherwise - 'I've lived nearby the ground for forty odd years, walked passed that stand thousands of times and *I'M TELLING YOU*, the club badge always used to be displayed on the the right hand side of the old stand'...

Except, it quite assuredly, evidently, never was...

Photoshop is your friend here.

Back