Space Penguins Of Tuscumbia , Missouri ( 1967 )

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Tuscumbia is situated roughly 20 (or so) miles southwest of Jefferson City, Missouri. In his 2001 compendium The UFO Evidence, Vol. II, Richard Hall associated this incident with Jefferson City:
Feb.14, 1967; Jefferson City, MO
7:00 a.m. CE-III. A disc-shaped object was seen resting on a shaft in a field. Small beings were reportedly moving around rapidly beneath it. They disappeared behind the shaft, the object rocked back and forth, took off, and sped away. (The UFO Evidence, Vol. II, p. 327)
SALVAGED FROM THE WAYBACK MACHINE:
https://web.archive.org/web/20061128114154/http://www.nicap.org/waves/1967fullrep.htm

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Here's a summary of Ted Phillips' initial investigation for APRO / MUFON ...
Date: February 14 1967
Time: 0700A

Claude Edwards, a 64-year old farmer, saw a gray-green dome shaped object about 15 feet wide in his fields; he thought at first it was a parachute, but as he neared it he could see that it was resting on a shaft about 18' wide that extended downward from its base. Around the edge of the dome were a number of bright-multicolored lights of oblong shape. Beneath the object were visible several entities less than a meter tall, also gray-green in color, moving about rapidly, with quick moving "lever or arms," very wide-set eyes, and no visible legs. He also noted a protuberance where the nose and mouth would have been. The witness walked to within 30 feet and threw two stones at the object, which bounced off an invisible wall between him and the object. Walking up to within 15 feet, he was able to feel the pressure of this invisible barrier. The surface of the object was seamless, like gray-green silk. By this time the little creatures had disappeared inside the object, and it rocked back and forth several times, then took off silently, disappearing towards the northeast within seconds. He further described the creatures as appearing "like a penguin, not human without a visible neck." The object, "it just looked like a big shell, grayish-green in color. There were still ground traces at the site three months after the encounter. At the site the soil was extremely dehydrated in contrast with the surrounding soil. At the center there was a depression 20mm deep sloping to 30mm in the central area.

Humcat 1967-17
Source: Ted Phillips for Apro & Mufon
Type: B
SOURCE: Albert Rosales, Catalogue of Humanoid Cases 1965 - 2006, p. 468.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Some of the descriptions for this incident give confusing dimensions for the UFO Edwards witnessed. Here are the relevant passages from the report cited above, as well as his own sketch of how the object appeared.

111212_17_ClaudesSketchOfUFO.jpg
As the farmer got within 15 feet of the “mushroom” and the energetic entities, he was abruptly stopped by some sort of “force field.” Edwards claimed that he could neither see nor tangibly feel it, but that the pressure the invisible barrier emitted was unmistakable. ...

It was then that Edwards (who would eventually sketch the domed vehicle) got his first good look at the soundless, glinting vessel. He would later describe the metallic surface of the vehicle as being smooth and seamless, even going so far as to compare it to “shiny silk.” He estimated that the curved top of the craft was about 18 feet in diameter and nearly 8 feet at its apex. The stem like tube that was supporting the object was evidently made of the same material as the domed top and stood not much higher than the beings beneath it.

At this point the perplexed farmer could also discern evenly spaced oval portals…about 12 inches long and 12 inches apart, situated around the lower rim of the “saucer.” Edwards would insist that these portals did not seem to function as windows as he could see a dazzling array of colors radiating from each side of the ovals. The colored lights oscillated as if they were spinning behind the portals. Edwards described the craft:

“The object just looked like a big shell, grayish green looking outfit. And underneath there were oblong holes where the lights were coming out. They were so bright you couldn’t see when you got up there…as if a color wheel was turning inside the thing.” ...

Concerning the "stem" for the mushroom-shaped object ...
Phillips, who arrived to interview Edwards not long after the events in question, was able to photograph the effects this UFO had on the field, including the spot where the support tube had met the soil ...

Phillips explained:

“When I arrived at the site, the traces were still quite visible. It was one meter in diameter in a slightly irregular circle where the shaft had rested. The soil was extremely dehydrated in contrast with the surrounding soil.”
SOURCE: http://www.millercountymuseum.org/archives/111212.html