• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Disappointing.

Looks like the ignition sequence failed, so the rocket-plane only reached 40,000 feet before having to return to Earth.

At least the crew is safe and it wasn't a disaster like the dreadful 2014 incident.

Makes you wonder if the Virgin Galactic engineering solution is fundamentally flawed though.

Last edited:
Disappointing.

Looks like the ignition sequence failed, so the rocket-plane only reached 40,000 feet before having to return to Earth.

At least the crew is safe and it wasn't a disaster like the dreadful 2014 incident.

Makes you wonder if the Virgin Galactic engineering solution is fundamentally flawed though.
Went to the web site and noted the time and thought I’d check back later. Didn’t realise it had defaulted to past events and the time of day I had looked at was a previous event. Missed it.

Do you think teenagers will get all grumpy when they know they'll have to go on space holiday with their parents?

Mum: Have you packed your spacesuit?
kid: Yessssss!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I always resented it.

(and I was the one to choose the destination, as no one else could decide and I could at least be trusted to choose something different from the year before).

I can't help but visualise some private (or not so private) spat between two multi-millionaires over space flights.
Branson and Musk messaging "yah-boo!" posts at each other:
"Hey, Elon - wanna buy a new rocket from us?"
"Nah ... Dick ... the last one was unmanned. We don't want to lose test pilots!"

Disappointing.
Thing is, it sounds like a "destruction test" anyhow. In usual reentry, it wouldn't have near as much fuel - and therefore mass - on board.

Space Hotel planned to open in 2027 (but I'm not holding my breath).

hotel.JPG

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/arti...term=image&utm_source=twCNN&utm_medium=social

Now is your chance to go into space, seriously !

Jeff Bezos is now selling seats on his New Shepard rocket which will travel 66 miles up 6 passengers at a time.

The New Shepard rocket has undergone numerous safety tests flights with no problems.

The only catch is Jeff has not set the cost of the ticket for the ride up into space.

Ticket go on sell on the internet Tuesday May 5th.

Hurry to get your tickets.

Richard Branson claims you can catch a ride on his Virgin Galactic VSS Imagine rocket in late summer and claims 8,000 people are waiting in line to pay a quarter of a million dollars each for the ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Richard Branson is taking the approach of commercial space flight as being practical.

Maybe like leave England and arrive in Asia in minutes for a business meeting.

Blue Origin has opened an online auction for a seat on their first crewed flight in July.
Blue Origin opens online auction for seat on 1st crewed flight

Washington-based spaceflight company Blue Origin opened up an auction Wednesday for a seat on its first crewed flight to the edge of space in July.

The New Shepard suborbital space tourism rocket is expected to be launched July 20 from the company's spaceport near Van Horn, Texas ...

Blue Origin, which is owned by Amazon's Jeff Bezos, said the auction is open to anyone, with sealed online bidding through May 19. Starting then, bids will be visible and must exceed the highest bid to continue in the auction.

There will be a June 12 live, online auction to conclude the bidding process and determine a winner. ...

Those who wish to bid on the Blue Origin seat must fit certain physical requirements, weighing between 110 pounds and 223 pounds and be between 5 feet and 6 feet, 4 inches tall. They must also be able to withstand up to 3Gs during ascent and 5.5 Gs during descent. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Science_News/2021/05/05/Blue-Origin-space-tourism-auction/5371620240064/?ur3=1

Maybe like leave England and arrive in Asia in minutes for a business meeting.

Dont we have Teleconferencing these days?

I have spoken to people in the US and Australia; I assume Asia is also online.

The space race is on as Virgin Galactic completed a successful trip into space Saturday.

Virgin Galactic is racing against Jeff Bezos’ Blue Origin and Elon Musk’s Space X taking paying passengers into space.

Your seat will only cost you $250,000 per trip.

If Branson can get his astronaut wings at 70, then there's hope for all of us!
Must admit that I'd love to go into space - if my increasing arthritic body could take it.

Too Bezos' credit, he is going to be on the first human carrying flight of the rocket, so he's the one taking the risk if something goes wrong.

Back