• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
You'd think they would have tested the microphones before hand

Its very tame

They even have to play music to the crew to keep them amused

How can you put people in space and yet fail with basic AV?

Well, that's not their area of speciality, is it.
I'd rather do that than go up on a rocket made by 'Richer Sounds'.

(Yes I know Virgin had a musical empire but these guys are a different bunch)

"We are heading to space"

No you're not.
You don't reach the threshold to be considered as 'going into space', the 'karman line' at 100km.
According to NASA, you get your 'astronaught wings' at 80km above the Earth.

Odd that the altimeter is still reading 400+ feet when Unity was on the ground

I hate to say it but it felt little different from seeing people on the Vomit Comet.

Maybe that’s because altimeters measure height above sea level. I’m assuming the mission didn’t start from Branson’s undersea supersecret base

The altimeter reads above sea level. They said as part of the descent commentary that the airfield is approximately 4,600 ft above sea level, hence the residual reading while sat on the runway.

Good darts for a successful trip, but what a dreadful presentation!

Here's the host to do commentary on the next flight.
Only without the jokes.

I thought they pixelated it remarkably well actually

Luckily, the B-roll video is far clearer and the full duration of the micro-gravity session can be watched.

broll.JPG

https://pressftp.virgingalactic.com/virgingalactic/press

I get it now.

Its not about reality. Its about dreaming.

Theres no `We can get you from London to Barbados and back in time for lunch` here. (as they did with Concorde).

They talk a bit about science but your average scientists would not have that sort of budget.

And theres certainly no Unity as how many rich folk across the world who would buy into this sort of dream wouldnt get a US visa? I bet the Middle East is full of such bores!

The main selling point seems to be everyone will get a window seat.

This is the sort of dull dream that only the mundane 21st century could dredge up.

Just 5 days to the Jeff Bezos space trip.

The New Shepherd rocket is scheduled to launch Bezos and three other passengers (one of whom paid $28,000,000 for the privilege) to an altitude of 100km - some 15km higher than the recent Virgin Galactic trip.

Live streaming will be available here on Tuesday 20th July, from 06:30 am CDT / 12:30 BST, with lift-off scheduled for 08:00 CDT / 14:00 BST.

https://www.blueorigin.com/

Bezos to Branson "Mine goes higher than yours!"
Musk "Hold my drink"
starship on booster.png

Look back on the last few pages of this thread.

Think about how awesome the citizens of the late 60s thought Armstrong and Aldrin's first ever walk on the next sphere to us was.

Now consider how cynical every comment is in response to the current space plane.

Why would anyone even bother to reach above? Seriously!

What the fuck is wrong with this picture??

Do NOT GO!

Capitulate.

Nobody here wants you to succeed.

The Apollo Mission paid for itself many times over. I don't know what the current space tourism pays for. But I suspect it'll be a Moon trip eventually.

Skinny, that is what I thought; so much negativity.

Everywhere I looked online, its cynical.

The worst, and saddest was the sf buffs

Guys, this is for you, and you alone, the Very Pretty Plane...It goes higher and faster than anything you have ever seen before.

And its waiting for you.

Skinny, that is what I thought; so much negativity.

Everywhere I looked online, its cynical.

The worst, and saddest was the sf buffs

Guys, this is for you, and you alone, the Very Pretty Plane...It goes higher and faster than anything you have ever seen before.

And its waiting for you.
I'm an SF buff and I loved it! I want to see space flight advance, not limp along with a sclerotic drip-feed of government money.

Billionaire businessman who paid $28 million for a seat on Bezos' space capsule declines the flight, as he has something else on that day (and no, I don't buy that either).
He will probably get a cheaper flight with Virgin.

Billionaire businessman who paid $28 million for a seat on Bezos' space capsule declines the flight, as he has something else on that day (and no, I don't buy that either).

The spare seat now goes to Dutch teenager Oliver Daemen. At 18, he will be the youngest ever person to go into space.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/07/15/business/nightcap-bezos-space-oatly-sunscreen-recall/index.html
So reading between the lines, this 'Billionaire businessman' was some computer nerd called Beswick Caufield Jr, who lives in his moms basement and there never was $28 million, everyones just too embarrassed to admit it :p

Back