• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
A delay for Shatner's flight

Blue Origins Delays Space Flight Set to Carry William Shatner​

Jeff Bezos’ spaceflight company Blue Origin announced it was delaying an upcoming flight that was meant to carry “Star Trek” actor William Shatner aboard. The delay was made due to anticipated winds. The flight was originally scheduled for Oct. 12.
“Due to forecasted winds on Tuesday, Oct. 12, Blue Origin’s mission operations team has made the decision to delay the launch of NS-18 and is now targeting Wednesday, Oct. 13,” a Blue Origin spokeswoman said in a statement. The new flight is target to lift off from Blue Origin’s Launch Site One in Texas on Wednesday at 8:30 a.m CST.
https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/bl...e-flight-carrying-william-shatner-1235085850/

Still on for this lunchtime c. 12:00 BST.

Looks like Captain Kirk is planning a little surprise for viewers:

kirk.JPG

I hope they temporarily rename the capsule Enterprise in his honour. And I also want him to give a little speech when they're up there. "Space...the final frontier etc etc"

Why do they keep referring to the space tourists as astronauts, NASA redefined what an astronaut is and they are not astronauts.

"In a move that pours cold water on the dreams of a few billionaire space explorers, the US has tightened its definition of the word "astronaut". New Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) rules say astronaut hopefuls must be part of the flight crew and make contributions to space flight safety"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57950149

Why do they keep referring to the space tourists as astronauts, NASA redefined what an astronaut is and they are not astronauts.

"In a move that pours cold water on the dreams of a few billionaire space explorers, the US has tightened its definition of the word "astronaut". New Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) rules say astronaut hopefuls must be part of the flight crew and make contributions to space flight safety"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57950149

NASA doesn't get to define the meaning of words.

They can say only that these people do not meet the NASA criteria to be considered astronauts.

Seemingly, they do meet the Amazon criteria.

NASA doesn't get to define the meaning of words.

They can say only that these people do not meet the NASA criteria to be considered astronauts.

Seemingly, they do meet the Amazon criteria.
Ok dictionary definition of astronaut,

Screenshot_20211013-152302_Chrome.png

So you don't need to go to space then? The FAA are being arseholes, so let's not indulge them.

Oh, I am past caring.

Where is the technical commetary? NASA would give us plenty.

Didn't see the thrusters deploy for the landing of the capsule, appeared to be still travelling at 15 kph when it hit the ground, I fear for Shatners hips

Captain Kirk has just landed on a planet full of Star Wars fans.

I fear for his safety

Guys! He's seen the Flammarion print by the sound of it.

I swear it

Didn't SpaceX take a longer trip around the Earth before descending, with their astro tourists? There's a space battle between Bezos and Elon right now.

Yes, SpaceX is still well ahead of the competitors.

Back