• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

SpaceX Explosion Caused By 'UFO'?

McAvennie

Justified & Ancient
Quick version…
Super Slo-mo...

I would suspect more likely a high-speed drone used to blow up the smoking rocket. From my understanding there had been a malfunction and the launch site cleared. Some kind of device to trigger the inevitable explosion would not shock me, the speed that it moves at does seem quite incredible.

I may be wrong though, I haven't followed it too closely.

I would suspect more likely a high-speed drone used to blow up the smoking rocket. From my understanding there had been a malfunction and the launch site cleared. Some kind of device to trigger the inevitable explosion would not shock me, the speed that it moves at does seem quite incredible.
It does look pretty amazing. The speed is very fast, even it was a drone or bird flown close to the camera.
If a drone, why would someone do that deliberately? Unless...industrial sabotage?
It could be someone flying a drone too close (by accident), and it may have flown through a cloud of fuel vapour, causing a spark...

My understanding was that there had been a malfunction, if they knew the rocket was going to blow they may have decided to just give it a helping hand. That is the only non-sinister motive I can think of.

If it was caused by the object igniting it, there would be a fire trail from the object to the rocket.

SpaceX probably has 4-5 different cameras focused on their rocket, since they generally have quite a number of camera angles they release from their various rocket tests. I'd bet the object doesn't show up on the rest. Because it's a bug close to the camera.

If it was caused by the object igniting it, there would be a fire trail from the object to the rocket.

SpaceX probably has 4-5 different cameras focused on their rocket, since they generally have quite a number of camera angles they release from their various rocket tests. I'd bet the object doesn't show up on the rest. Because it's a bug close to the camera.
That is probably the most likely explanation.

There's an interesting Reddit thread on this matter here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/UFOs/comments/511311/update_falconx_ufo_mystery_285m_deal_resided_on/

Please thoroughly read the first post in the thread.

What I find particularly interesting is that the object, after going from right to left, then returns from bottom left to top right:

https://gfycat.com/MeatyFrigidGalah

Also, it can't be a bug or a bird (speed, distance). I won't repeat what was said in the Reddit thread that I linked to above, but it's an interesting read and seems to be pretty well researched.

I'm pretty sure that, if an official explanation is ever offered, it will be something mundane and that's fine. Then again .....

BTW, first post in this thread and the mention of the launch site being cleared - that's normal procedure for the test that the rocket was undergoing.

Last edited:
There's an interesting Reddit thread on this matter here:
that's normal procedure for the test that the rocket was undergoing.
Yes, someone was sending a UFO to somehow blow up a rocket during what was not even a launch but a test before launch of an inexpensive satellite that wouldn't provide new capability, but simply redudancy of existing capability, unaware that Space-X likes to put high resolution cameras all over the place (as seen in their various other tests/explosions/launches/successes), nevermind the various people and groups that also like to take video of rocketry. :banghead:

Shooting things into space is hard. You're sitting on a giant bomb that you hope explodes in a controlled manner. Sometimes it doesn't.

Calm down, I just find it all rather interesting. I think it's extraordinarily unlikely that it was some kind of alien craft or even a human controlled drone of some description; the explosion (or rather, "fast fire" as Musk describes it, and that's very accurate when describing the initial fireball) was very likely a defect on the rocket, the fueling procedure, fuel lines, the strongback, whatever. However, looking at this "alternative" idea isn't without interest. We ARE in the UFO section of this forum, after all.

Last edited:
It can be, and is, a bug. The bulshite about focal length from the Reddit thread is wrong; here's a spider from a Shuttle launch to prove it.

upload_2016-9-5_10-38-43.jpeg

If you watch the entire hi-res video, there are numerous bugs and flies that cross the screen. Some distant birds can also be seen. Are we to conclude that these are all UFOs? I suppose they are, since we can't determine the species of each individual insect or bird.

That is probably the most likely explanation.

Very straight and direct path taken though. Most flying bugs have a very erratic flight path, could very well be a small bug flying past at the exact moment but not sure it'd be so arrow-straight?

Very straight and direct path taken though. Most flying bugs have a very erratic flight path, could very well be a small bug flying past at the exact moment but not sure it'd be so arrow-straight?
The bug is close to the camera. With the camera being aimed at something a few miles away, the bug would not be flying very far at all to cross the camera view, for the same reason a finger at arms length can cover up the moon.

Probably. Seems the only logical answer.

Does kind of seem like some greater power playing a trick though that a bug just happens to fly past the camera seconds before the rocket explodes. Wonder how many other bugs fly past on the full length launch video, if you could see other objects acting similarly before or after it would clear the issue up.

EDIT: I see a longer video posted above, will have a look at that.

I'd guess it happens all the time since the launchpad area is mostly undeveloped swampland/wetlands. Just not remarkable when things dont blow up or the shuttle doesnt get attacked by a giant flying space spider (I'm assuming Superman saved the shuttle from that one.)

It seems to be too fast to be a bird, but if you look at closeups of the video there seems to be wings moving.
In the early stages of the explosion it seems to return and go behind the explosion and fly 45 degrees to the right.

If you look into videos about the supposed UFO activity above Denver Airport that footage certainly looks a lot more like bugs close to the camera.

It is just the arrow straight path of that object that makes it seem odd, most flying bugs don't follow such a perfect course. I guess if the area covered is literally only centimetres it might manage it, but then if it was that close to the camera would it not appear huge like the spider?

Meanwhile in Orlando I've heard two assertions that it was deliberate, whether to hinder SpaceX or the satellite... man, can't we have enough points of failure without saying The Man is staging justifications to take over society? (Isn't that sort of redundant anyway? o_O)

Curious ~ I find it fascinating that this passing object shows up after it's (coincidental fly-by) resulting in Space X's destruction, show up BEHIND the third tower - which means that this object passes by, or attacks at an incredibly high speed and at the same, or further distance than the tower that it fly's by at the back of the tower as in the inserted capture shows?

*Object comes into view at incredible high speed from the right.

Space X (1) field of view.png

*Enlargement: Object shows up as being triangular in form:
Space X (2).png

*Object passes third tower notably behind the tower:
*Inset with enlargement.

Space X 3 (4).jpg

Which suggests-proves, that the object is sizeable.

Nope; it is in front of the tower. There is only one frame where the 'object' passes near the towers, and it is ambiguous- the object is too blurred to be sure. Occam's razor says it is an insect in front of the tower.

Space X 3 (4).jpg

Nope; it is in front of the tower. There is only one frame where the 'object' passes near the towers, and it is ambiguous- the object is too blurred to be sure. Occam's razor says it is an insect in front of the tower.

View attachment 32652
So, do you mean that Occam's razor (just a theory) should always be taken as the simple deduction is always the correct assumption 'eburacum?'

Have we considered the possibility that the object was simply a drone sent up to obtain hi-res film of the launch?

maximus otter

Have we considered the possibility that the object was simply a drone sent up to obtain hi-res film of the launch?

maximus otter
Don't think that that is a practical possibility 'maximus,' at the speed that that object passes by the launch site as it is incredibly fast. In fact, it passes the rocket so fast that it isn't noticed until played at slowest video playback speed!

Be surprised if it's not a bird.

I tried occams razor but it wasn't 'the best a man can get'. It was the simplest though.

And apropos of nothing.....SpaceX are known for deliberately testing their equipment way beyond their design limitations (to destruction), making some changes, then going again with the next version.
Currently we have just had the flight and slightly damaging 'landing' (I don't think that'll buff out) of starship SN8.
Elon Musk stated that it had achieved all that they were expecting and more.
The next iteration, SN9, is already pretty much fully assembled and ready to be rolled out to the launch pad (despite drunkenly falling to one side in the assembly tower).
SN10 through to SN15 are in various stages of construction.

Back