• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Spam (Canned Meat Product)

There's nowt wrong with a bit of spam. It's not something I always buy but I usually have a tin of either Spam, Corned Beef, or Bacon Grill in the fridge (fridging them makes them easier to slice).
But the spam I find is best served lightly dusted with either a BBQ or 'Southern Fried' seasoning and then fried off lightly for a few minutes each side.

There's nowt wrong with a bit of spam. It's not something I always buy but I usually have a tin of either Spam, Corned Beef, or Bacon Grill in the fridge (fridging them makes them easier to slice).
But the spam I find is best served lightly dusted with either a BBQ or 'Southern Fried' seasoning and then fried off lightly for a few minutes each side.
And it's certainly not as cheap as it once was! As youngsters, my Dad used to serve it up as spam fritters fried in batter. Now that is yummy food - except for the lardy fat Dad used to fry it up in. :p

Spam Fritters were a very popular school meals dish, in the days before there was any agonizing freedom of choice in the form of menus, healthy-options etc. etc. There were no known-vegetarians among my peers in a 1960s Primary School. If there were any at all, they took packed lunches and kept their heads down.

My own sandwiches were regularly vegetarian: once I had expressed a liking for fried egg butties, that is what I got. My mother's alternative to Spam was a thing called Stuffed Pork Roll, which was Luncheon Meat with a core of Sage & Onion, as if it had a bowel running through it. Like the egg, it quickly became monotonous.

The Dinner Ladies would batter their "Spam", though there is enough potato starch in it to form a tasty crust, when fried plain.

Given its Far Eastern popularity, I am thinking Tempura Spam in a light cornflour batter might be worth a go, in my own gluten-free world?

Like Sid, I've noticed that it isn't cheap. At the same price-point - I wrote that to annoy someone - I would drift back to Corned Beef. :crazy:

Last edited:
And it's certainly not as cheap as it once was! As youngsters, my Dad used to serve it up as spam fritters fried in batter. Now that is yummy food - except for the lardy fat Dad used to fry it up in. :p
I think Spam Fritters were a very popular school meals dish, in the days before there was any agonizing freedom of choice in the form of menus, healthy-options etc. etc. I don't think there were any vegetarians among my peers in a 1960s Primary School. If there were, they had packed lunches and kept their heads down. Come to think of it, my own sandwiches were usually vegetarian: once I had expressed a liking for fried egg butties, that is what I got. My mother's alternative to Spam was a thing called Stuffed Pork Roll, which was Luncheon Meat with a core of Sage & Onion, as if it had a bowel running through it. Like egg, it soon became monotonous.

The Dinner Ladies would batter the "Spam", though there is enough potato starch in it to form a tasty crust, when fried plain.

Given its Far Eastern popularity, I am thinking Tempura Spam in a light cornflour batter might be worth a go.

Like Sid, I've also noticed that it isn't cheap. At the same price-point - I wrote that to annoy someone - I would drift back to Corned Beef. :crazy:
My local chippy used to do a great spam fritter, bite into it and the grease dripped down your chin :p

My local chippy used to do a great spam fritter, bite into it and the grease dripped down your chin :p
Doesn't sound like a great recommendation to be honest..

I never liked the stuff when my mum did it or at school. Never had it since.

You're a regular Gordon Ramsey mate!

:hahazebs:

By the way...is your avatar Christopher Lee, the weird bloke from Sparks or the man who killed Hitler and Bigfoot?

You're a regular Gordon Ramsey mate!

By the way...is your avatar Christopher Lee...
You can buy my 312 page recipe book "How to cook Spam and other tinned meats" only £23.99 from any good bookstore.

And yes, my current avatar (at time of writing) is Christopher Lee.
But he won't be around for too long.

Times really are tough when it comes down to this!

spamlockdown.jpg

Spam under lock-and-key in New York to prevent theft as crime rates rise in line with inflation​

It’s the nation’s crises in a can.
Inflation and crime have gotten so bad in New York that even cheap meat like Spam has to be locked up, the NY Post reports.

At Duane Reade’s store in the Port Authority bus station, the shelf-stable product — only $US3.99 ($5.70) a can — is now being stocked in plastic, antitheft cases.

“I’ve never seen that before!” one cashier laughed while using a magnet to remove a can of Spam from its cage.

The cashier was among the employees, tourists and store regulars stunned that the iconic blue-and-yellow cans are now being kept under lock-and-key — some even poking fun at the sight as “a sort of Jeff Koons homage,” per one viral tweet.

Jenny Kenny, 43, who was visiting from Kentucky, was aware of the ongoing crime waves hitting cities like New York and San Francisco, but still couldn’t believe the sight of “so many things in boxes.”

“Some of these things are pretty ridiculous,” she said.
https://www.news.com.au/finance/mon...n/news-story/dbb5bb134437e9dc08753cd5fa4a9b55

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, SPAM won WW II as this at times was the only meat that made it to the soldiers.

SPAM in Hawaii is sacred because this was at times was the only protein available during the war.

I have eaten SPAM and it tastes to me like an old, found hot dog from the trash that I would not even feed it to a starving Vulture bird.

So, I don’t like it.

But today there are many varieties of SPAM like turkey, chicken, and many others.

I have eaten SPAM and it tastes to me like an old, found hot dog from the trash that I would not even feed it to a starving Vulture bird.
Item 1: you know this how?

Item 2: I like spam. Thick slices, fried to crispy on both sides. Put on kitchen towel to 'drain', cook baked beans in same pan, add half tea spoon of onion power and half of paprika. When beans are dark and bubbly, serve with spam. Hide tin in recycling bin before Mrs. Coal comes home.

Couldn’t you just nick the spam in its plastic box? I can’t see that being a major deterrent to a determined spam thief..
I think the box has a device inside which triggers an alarm if it taken outside the supermarket?

@Swifty has worked in Morrisons supermarket, is this correct?

I think the box has a device inside which triggers an alarm if it taken outside the supermarket?

Yeah, I'm sure there's one of those thingies in there. Whether anyone would act if the alarm went off is another thing entirely.

Duane Reade is not a supermarket, but one of those chain "drug stores" that also sells food items, toys, small electronics, etc. That, combined with the fact that the Port Authority Bus Terminal has a reputation for being a bit sleazy and is essentially open all night, makes the extra security not all that surprising. Anyone who's spent any time in the more well-worn areas of Manhattan would understand.

I did but as their cook and then fishmonger (then helped set up home delivery for lock down) ... those cases have a magnetic release mechanism, the cases have a chip that security barriers will pick up if someone tries to shop lift. Or they could just take a powerful magnet in and unlock the box themselves in theory.

As popular as fish and chips in the UK, so is Hawaiian Spam Musubi in Hawaii.

Sliced Spam and rice pressed together in blocks wrapped in toasted sea weed and flavored with soy sauce.

Times really are tough when it comes down to this!

Spam under lock-and-key in New York to prevent theft as crime rates rise in line with inflation​

https://www.news.com.au/finance/mon...n/news-story/dbb5bb134437e9dc08753cd5fa4a9b55
I recall many years ago (at least 20) dropping into a filling station in Derbyshire (either Alfreton or South Normanton) that had a small convenience store on site. There were tins of pink salmon on the shelves and next to them a sign stating that the red salmon was kept behind the counter. If you wanted red salmon you had to ask for it. Apparently the locals liked it, but didn’t care too much for paying for it.

I recall many years ago (at least 20) dropping into a filling station in Derbyshire (either Alfreton or South Normanton) that had a small convenience store on site. There were tins of pink salmon on the shelves and next to them a sign stating that the red salmon was kept behind the counter. If you wanted red salmon you had to ask for it. Apparently the locals liked it, but didn’t care too much for paying for it.
Haslet is still un tagged though and superior to Spam IMO .. today's shop lifters take note!

Haslet is still un tagged though and superior to Spam IMO .. today's shop lifters take note!

I buy haslet a lot these days when I can find it.
It's not a patch on the first haslet I ever tasted. I have no idea where to buy the best stuff - unless it's only available from a posh deli?

It's not a patch on the first haslet I ever tasted.
Some years back me and the other half bought a whole lamb and a whole pig for the freezer. The butcher asked if I wanted the pigs head which we declined. He challenged us to take it home and use it rather than seeing it go to waste, so I accepted the challenge and made brawn with it.

My dad loved brawn and had it in sandwiches when I was a sprog, as a result I liked it too. Wifey had never had it so I bought some from Sainsburys for her to try. It wasn’t nice, flavourless and like a mouthful of aspic. Not a patch on what I remembered from childhood so I was a little concerned what our first attempt, home made brawn would taste like.

We followed a Hairy Bikers recipe and it was lovely. We made two 2lb loaf tins worth and it was definitely worth the challenge.

Would I do it again?

If I had the time and another butcher challenged me most certainly.

Now, how do I make Haslet? Or for our American cousins, meatloaf.

Last edited:
Now, how do I make Haslet?
Apparently, it has stale white bread in it, finely minced pork and whatever herbs and spices you like. Then it's baked, like a loaf.
I'm guessing that it's been largely overlooked by food purists because of the bread content.
Let us know how you get on.

Apparently, it has stale white bread in it, finely minced pork and whatever herbs and spices you like. Then it's baked, like a loaf.
I'm guessing that it's been largely overlooked by food purists because of the bread content.
Let us know how you get on.
I’ve challenged a grandson to make me some.

Back