Speaking Clock - Pat Simmons

taras

Least Haunted
On the Antiques Roadshow last week, they had the Mk II speaking clock, as used on the phone. The man who looks after it now said it was on working display, and suddenly stopped for no good reason. It took quite some fixing.

Later, they found that the clock had stopped on the same day that Pat Simmons, the voice of that clock, died.

:shock:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Mr Snail told me this story recently, d'you think it's Snopes-tested?

A clock stopping at time of a significant person's death often turns up in folklore, family stories and popular culture. I've read people's personal accounts of it on here.

The idea is nicely summed up in the song 'My Grandfather's Clock'. The song was (according to Wiki) written in 1876 and based by its writer Henry Clay Work on the true story of a real clock.

_Lizard23_

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I watched the episode of the Antiques Roadshow, saw the rather uninspiring looking machine and heard the story. They even referenced the song. So all that much happened, as least as far as my judgement can tell, but I'm afraid something about the tale of spooky synchronicity elicited an immediate 'bollocks' from everyone watching with me at the time.

taras

Least Haunted
I would have been very sceptical if the guy who curates it, and had to fix it, hadn't been the one telling the story.

He might be embellishing the story to promote the National Horological Museum or whatever it was, I suppose... :cry:

_Lizard23_

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Yes, I feel a bit bad for being so dismissive - it's entirely possible, of course. Something about the classic folkloric nature of the story and the slightly underwhelming appearance of the machine made me think it could easily be a tale concocted to make the whole thing a bit more interesting, but I'm a bit of a sceptic really, and it was just a knee-jerk reaction.

So who knows.

OldTimeRadio

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
1949. I sat in my parents' kitchen with Mom, Dad and my paternal Grandfather.

Grnandpa looked up at the clock mounted high above the sink.

"Isn't that the clock Mom and I gave you for your wedding?" (in 1938)

"Yes," Mom answered. "And it's never given us a single second's trouble."

The clock died forever within the next 10 or 15 minutes.