• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

spiders and lights

Melf

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
yes another spider thread :D

ive been thinking about this for some time:-

why spiders build webs around or near outdoor electric lights sources

have they (spiders) learned to associate lights with food?

and when did this behaviour begin?

I'm guessing that perhaps spiders are intelligent enough to notice that most insects are attracted to light sources, or in a spider's pov, "loads of insects over there, I think I take a visit".

Not that I like the idea of a spider that thinks.

There is also the chance that you just tend to notice the spider webs near lights because they are better lit than the ones in the shadows. Although I agree that spiders are smart enough to set up where the food is plus it gives them a warm place to live and hatch their eggs.

This is a bit like the 'why do flies fly round a light even if its not on' question. Maybe its just cause it gives the spiders something to make a web on, as if it were a lumpy bit of rock in a cave or something?

Marion said:
This is a bit like the 'why do flies fly round a light even if its not on' question. Maybe its just cause it gives the spiders something to make a web on, as if it were a lumpy bit of rock in a cave or something?
There are two types of swarming fly - those that swarm 'over' objects (cows, rocks, bushes etc.) and those that swarm 'under' them (beneath branches, under light shades etc.) If you get a ball of paper and throw it slightly to the side of a lightshade with circling flies, some of the flies willl leave the shade and fly beneath the paper ball.

Back