• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Spielberg's "Taken"

Respect to the Beak, I also had not noticed this (much nicer) 'Taken' thread so I'll reprise my earlier post here:

"I thought it was dire
"She's the sun and the moon to me, sir" - Pur-lease!
Where's his waxed moustache!?
He makes Corry's resident psycho, Richard, seem really plausible by comparison
I'll try a couple more episodes, but it's got to improve a lot"

There: now it's on both, or this one twice (if/when it gets bumped) ..

I thought it was a mistake to reveal the greys as early as they did. In fact, I don't think they should have revealed the aliens at all - or at least until near the end. It's like in Alien - it's always more scary of when you can't see the thing). Plus some of the CGI was a bit shakey, so it would have been a bonus in that sense too. I also found it to be a bit patronizing in the way that it emphasised every key point. Like when the waitress woman's being ill in the toilet - it could have been left at that and I think we'd all have got the message, but they have to explain "I'm pregnant!!!" just to make especially sure you've understood the implications :rolleyes:

Other than that it was quite good :D

Honestly, listen to me - moan, moan, moan :p

BUMP! (You knew it was coming! :D )

Does it make any sense now? Did they before? Does anybody care? What is the meaning of life...? (etc)

hi I saw this programme, it was really good. I liked it more than dark skies cos that just wasn't spielberg, if u know what i mean.

SEPOX

Re: Re: Taken

Zygon said:
And a rehash of Dark Skies. And a rehash of The X Files. Slight touch of Hangar 18 too (Sci Fi UK Sunday PM). In fact, every cliche imagineable seemed to be there. Shape shifting aliens. Cover ups. Aliens mating with humans. You name it.
No kitten-swallowing, though. Yet.

..which is similar to my own succinct mega review.......

Shite!:D

I'm not sure I will stick with it. There are only three possible endings:

1. Space Brothers who are giving us anal probes for our own good.

2. A monster that wants to take over the world for no very good reason.

3. An ending that drifts off to no particular conclusion and is then violently debated on the internet.

I have no great hopes of anything original.

In the Aviary, we like to watch 50's sci-fi films on a Saturday night, the crappier the better. We often play a drinking game at the same time. Perhaps that's why we liked it?
I think maybe you UFO guys were expecting too much from it? :)

Originally posted by Whizzer:
I also had not noticed this (much nicer) 'Taken' thread...

Oi! Thanks a lot Whizzer :eek:

Just joshing... ;)

I agree with Madcat's "keeping the greys hidden" thing. A lot of the mystery could have been kept throughout by just letting you have glimpses. The bit where the woman who had her bonnet blown off went into the burning brush and the little feller scampered behind her made me jump. A few more moments like that would have been good.

It's not quite Close Encounters... though, is it.

Perhaps they need some mashed potato.

Mike P said:
I'm not sure I will stick with it. There are only three possible endings:

1. Space Brothers who are giving us anal probes for our own good.

2. A monster that wants to take over the world for no very good reason.

3. An ending that drifts off to no particular conclusion and is then violently debated on the internet.

I have no great hopes of anything original.

4. After numerous mishaps and misunderstandings, the Greys turn out to be our friends, and bring us a new golden age of fluffy kittens, overwhelming niceness, one of those sad-eyed child paintings on every wall, and apple pie for everyone.

Given the Spielberg involvement -and Tobe Hooper's culpability in the cinematic atrocity that is Gremlins- I have no hopes of any other ending.

St.Clair said:
Joe Dante?

I like Gremlins! :D

Oops. I erred. There's some previous Tobe Hooper/Spielberg connection but it ain't Gremlins. I must have fixed on Gremlins because I hate it so much (except for the 'dad dressed up as Santa stuck in the chimney' story -but I'd always liked that story, ever since I first read it in a Mad Magazine from the 50s...)

Taken

Does anyone else suspect that the bits that they skip over in 'Five years later' captions are more interesting than the stuff they're showing?

Nice UFOs, even if they are a bit reminiscent of all Spielberg's other saucers.

Who else lasted to the end?

Finally came to the end of Taken, I don't mind open endings but this didn't even have that, it just stopped...unless they're going to do a second series.

Far too sugary for my taste too...

Spielberg did this sort of stuff a lot better 25 years ago in CE3K.

I liked the dolphins.
The dolphins, I liked. A lot.

I recorded all of 'Taken' and I've only just got around to watching the last few installments. Now I understand why each episode seemed to be introduced by Lisa Simpson reading from a training manual for greeting card copywriters. ;)

It had its moments though....Enjoyable nonsense very well executed.

I missed the last few eps. I stuck with it for ages, then missed a couple because I went out and when I watched the next ep it was all ppl I didn't know in it. :rolleyes:

Spooky I'm glad you've admitted to getting confused about some of the characters in Taken
I was worried it was just me being stupid.

I'd just get used to the characters when they'd move time forward like 5 or 10 years, and then I had to figure out who they all were again. They needed name labels or something!

Spooky angel said:
I'd just get used to the characters when they'd move time forward like 5 or 10 years, and then I had to figure out who they all were again. They needed name labels or something!

That is sooooo true, I lost track of it halfway and gave up, then I watched the last two episodes .... too much deja vu [other films/tv] for my liking over all

'Taken' on Sci Fi Channel

Has the UFO miniseries 'Taken' been on telly yet over there? I just watched all the DVDs. It's quite a soap opera, but I was really into it!

T'was on here ages ago, and it was utter utter utter pants, ripped off bits of The X Files, and Dark Skies without any of the style or panache ...

I taped the first one but never watched it. Quite fancied watching the series but it did strike me as quite bland and unoriginal.

Back