• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Spielberg's War Of The Worlds

StoryofE

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Spielberg, Cruise to remake 'War of the Worlds'

From Variety:

Steven Spielberg and Tom Cruise will bring "The War of the Worlds" to the bigscreen, with Cruise expected to star.

Depending on how quickly the two get a "War of the Worlds" script they like, the sci-fi epic could start in late 2005. Spielberg is now completing work on "The Terminal" with Tom Hanks and Catherine Zeta-Jones.

David Koepp will rewrite a Josh Friedman-penned first-draft script based on "War," the classic H.G. Wells alien-invasion novel.

...As a scribe, Koepp was the go-to guy for Spielberg on the first two "Jurassic Park" films. He also proved adept at large-canvas fare with "Spider-Man" and its sequel, and he most recently scripted and directed the Johnny Depp starrer "Secret Window."

:cool:

Spielberg and Cruise???

I'll just go slash my wrists now to save time, shall I? The most overrated director in the world with the most overrated movie star: what's the fugging point?

Shouldn't he be working on the three disc special edition digital remaster of the "Goonies"? With today's computer effects, he should be able to finally achieve his full vision.

Philo T said:
Shouldn't he be working on the three disc special edition digital remaster of the "Goonies"? With today's computer effects, he should be able to finally achieve his full vision.

no it was adiquetly crap already.

Well all I can say is BBLLEECCHH. Spielberg is a hack and Cruise is the same guy in every movie. Maybe I should put this post on why do they have careers thread.:cross eye

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Butchers.

Anyway - War of the Worlds is a book. Are they going to remake the book, then?

it will be compleat and utter rubish..badly edited and set situations for computer games... why change a winning combination?

The original film was good, but if they're remaking it can they set it in the south of England in the 1800's like the original book.

and can the tripods have real legs this time, not just fancy lights:D

[edit]original book online here

'Scuse me, but the Spielberg-Cruise pairing worked on Minority Report which was actually rather good.
The problem for me is that Spielberg has grown up and works on grown-up movies now, so the cool stuff of the 70s and 80s has gone. Spielberg gave Peter Jackson the Best Director Oscar this year, could it be like the passing of the baton...
It's really shit to see Hollywood is so devoid of ideas now that after exhausting 70s TV shows we're now going back to the beginning of the studio back catalogue and remaking everything, like the audiences of today are too stupid or lazy to have ever seen the original. Then again, a forty year old film doesn't make much money any more does it...

Yes, King Kong doesnt have any point any more, not now since the tallest buildings are in Chicargo...

Will it be the original or the Orson Welles version??

How about it being just a radio play, and then becomming real? that would be intreguing plot.

(probably too subtle for hollywood)

I don't suppose they're getting Jeff Wayne back for the soundtrack?

In fact why not just make a movie of the musical version? Bagsy Christopher Lloyd to play Nathanial the insane preacher, maybe they could relegate Cruise to being the artillaryman.

maybe they could relegate Cruise to being the artillaryman.

or one of the astronauts at the end?:)

perhaps in the hollywood version the martians could go "Aloo!!!" with an english accent?:D

Re: Spielberg, Cruise to remake 'War of the Worlds'

lennynero said:
From Variety:

Steven Spielberg and Tom Cruise will bring "The War of the Worlds" to the bigscreen, with Cruise expected to star.

NO NO NO!!!! :headbutt: :headbutt:

Dark Detective said:
'Scuse me, but the Spielberg-Cruise pairing worked on Minority Report which was actually rather good.
That's your opinion. :hmph: Mine is that Minority Report was better than it ought to have been given the casting, the director and the, frankly dim-witted, script (not PKD's fault), but that still doesn't make it a good movie.

am i the only one here to think that spielberg is a genius of cinema gone awry?

let me explain before you insult me. cinema has to be spectacular (lat. spectaculum: something that is made to be looked at; something that involves your eyes). spielberg is spectacular like noone else. duel: you remember the truck as an image. jaws: you remember the shark jumping up as an image. close encounters: you remeber the silhouette of the starship. et: you remember the alien on the bike. indiana jones: you remember, what can i say, the ark of the covenant while it's being stored with another thousand items. i mean: he creates images that you remember, which is exactly what a movie director should do. and his are great, powerful images, sometimes.

the trouble is, he is either a bit stupid himself, or he underestimates his audience soo much (very common defect) that he feels obliged to always insert some pathetic or childish element that ruins the effect and makes you wanna puke. (minority report was great, lucid and prophetic, but why put so many childish-pathetic ingredients? without them it would almost be on the same level as blade runner among philip k. dick-derived movies).

that said, well, apart from tom cruise i would be eager to see spielberg's remake of war of the worlds. who else could do that?

Off the top of my head, Guillermo del Toro or Bryan Singer would put in solid, straight, adaptations; a Terry Gilliam take on WotW would be utterly awesome but would undoubtedly veer away from the source material (in fact, Gilliam'd almost certainly juxtapose something like the Orson Welles broadcast against a 'real' invasion so as to get his usual 'questioning reality' trope going); a Tim Burton version would be very visually arresting but would unfortunately very probably suffer from the usual weak script trouble; Ang Lee would probably turn in version too measured and cerebal for the popcorn crowd, but which I'd probably love. Any others I'd have to think about...

Noooooo :nooo:

It'll probably turn out to be quite good really, and we'll all be cursing that we didn't go see it at the cinema ...

LobeliaOverhill said:
It'll probably turn out to be quite good really, and we'll all be cursing that we didn't go see it at the cinema ...
-You mean like AI or MI2? :rofl:

Still, I s'pose it'd be better than if John 'I vocally despise SF, so why do I keep doing SF movies? And why the f**k am I producer on the new Lost In Space series?' Woo got his hands on it...

Was Independence Day a remake of War of the Worlds?

Incidentally the special edition DVD of Citizen Kane also includes a recording of the Orsen Wells Radio version.

Mike P said:
Was Independence Day a remake of War of the Worlds?

Not officially, but it does parrallel it a lot and there's some elements in it that are very close to the George Pal movie (though they're not in the Welles original - he didn't use the concept of the atomic bomb until 'TheWorld Set Free')

The sequence in WoTW where they attemp to nuke the Martians, is almost identical to the sequence in Independence Day where they attempt to nuke the invaders - and the bomber in the WoTW is one of the experimental flying wing designs of the 50s, the bomber in ID is a B2 Spirit stealth bomber, which is a flying wing design - homage or nerdy in joke?

IMO I think that War of the Worlds would work (although not commercially, probably - which is what Speilberg et al are generally good for) if the producers take the following into consideration:

- Should be set in England at the Turn of The Century rather than the States
- Filmed in England with English Actors
- If said actors were relatively unknown to reflect the overall shock impact that the events depicted in the novel have on the ordinarry and to detract from the 'it's another Cruise action pic' pre-conceptions associated with big budget stars
- It has some wonderful set piece battles in it which would be great for cinema and Speilberg would be great for, but the novel is about people
- There should be no 'president/cruise to the rescue' style ending - victory comes in the form of a perfectly natural process which captures the impact Darwinianism on literature, methinks.

Blah blah, two penneth worth.

That or a musical written by a grugged up hippy type and starring a washed out crap english actor/singer.

You decide.

Sorry about the Goonies crack. I really don't remember enough of it to fairly judge it. The first title that popped into my mind was "Howard the Duck", but that was that other fellar.

or one of the astronauts at the end?

Well Clint Eastwood was the chopper pilot at the end of Tarantula!

We know they're going to c*ck the whole thing up anyway, so why not do the musical and play it for laughs?

BlackRiverFalls said:
Well Clint Eastwood was the chopper pilot at the end of Tarantula!

was it a chopper...sorry trivia crisis..i remeber it as a saber jet..Clint in Oxy mask hidden and bombing the spider with napalm... Lee van Clief was the guy who shot the monster with a "radium" bullet in some other film of the time...monster comes up from 10,000 fathoms or sum such...thats goan bother me all night now..

BlackRiverFalls said:
so why not do the musical and play it for laughs?

Is that a heat ray or are you just pleased to see me?:D

Back