• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Spiritual Customer

I love the sound of your visitor. I'm intrigued though - you said he had a beautiful smile but did he frighten you at the time, or was it just afterwards that you became freaked out and had to leave your job?

Hi Bloop!
Thank you for sharing this fascinating account.

I did wonder, about the sparkly eyed gentleman, at first you mention he seemed to radiate pleasantness, etc....when he appeared the second time and touched your shoulders, was the atmosphere different?
You say you were terrified, naturally, yet I’m curious if this was because of the general horror of the unknown head-butting into your reality, or whether this time the demeanour of the gentleman was different, unpleasant.

I hope that makes sense?

I suppose I am asking whether you picked up a negative feeling from the apparition or if it was simply the shock of it that caused your fear.

I’m with the open minded crew here; we live in a mysterious universe, both terrifying and beautiful, who is to say what is possible or impossible?
I’ve learned to trust my own judgement and believe to a large extent that we create our own realities, so to speak:)

I love the sound of your visitor. I'm intrigued though - you said he had a beautiful smile but did he frighten you at the time, or was it just afterwards that you became freaked out and had to leave your job?

Hi Bloop!
Thank you for sharing this fascinating account.

I did wonder, about the sparkly eyed gentleman, at first you mention he seemed to radiate pleasantness, etc....when he appeared the second time and touched your shoulders, was the atmosphere different?
You say you were terrified, naturally, yet I’m curious if this was because of the general horror of the unknown head-butting into your reality, or whether this time the demeanour of the gentleman was different, unpleasant.

I hope that makes sense?

I suppose I am asking whether you picked up a negative feeling from the apparition or if it was simply the shock of it that caused your fear.

I’m with the open minded crew here; we live in a mysterious universe, both terrifying and beautiful, who is to say what is possible or impossible?
I’ve learned to trust my own judgement and believe to a large extent that we create our own realities, so to speak:)

I only actually remember becoming frightened when I saw that what I believed to be a solid human being, was in fact disappearing from the feet up and even then he was still smiling at me. Up until that point, there was absolutely nothing about this actual being that was scary in any way at all. I was puzzled initially (as was my boss) at how he had managed to leave the premises without being either seen or heard and on the second visit, I was totally confused at what had caused the papers to blow from the counter, but other than that there was no negative feelings at all about this gentleman. So in answer to your questions, I think it was the realisation that something 'not quite normal' was taking place and it was that which scared me rather than the gent himself.

I still have no idea what we, the boss and I together or I alone, experienced in those two days. If we did create it in some way, which is totally possible I suppose, then I have no idea how it was done, nor have I any idea how my boss could see the same thing as I could see on the first visit if only I created it. :):)

The 'disappearing like a curl of smoke' aspect reminded me of this story on b3ta. I wasn't sure where to find it but it conveniently came up again recently, which is weird in itself!
It was shared on a forum with an expectation of truth, where posters are not expected to make things up and jokey posts have an obvious punchline.

The apparition described here doesn't turn to smoke but is strangely composed from the start.
Here's the whole story, with the relevant bit in bold:

Heard this from an acquaintance who was doing some contract work in an office in Chester. Now, Chester was founded as a Roman fort and there are lots of archeological digs going on at any one time. The office my friend - we'll call him Paul - was working in was right opposite this dig where they reckon they'd found a second Minerva shrine, there was a lot of excitment over it and during the day the office workers would watch the excavations from the first floor window.

One night Paul decided to stay late to finish some work. This was in October so it was dark outside by half 6. Now the room he was working in was a big open plan affair, with windows at the far end and a double line of tall filing cabinets in front of the windows. Paul was working at a terminal at the other end of the room, on a desk up against the wall so his back was to the room and the windows and filing cabinets were some way off to his left.

He got quite into his work and oblivious of his surroundings, as you do, but at about 7 pm he became aware of a banging sound, as if someone was running up and down between the rows of filing cabinets and punching them. This startled him, but it only happened the once so he put it down to 'building sound' and set to work again.

About ten minutes later the sound happened again, only louder. Paul tells me that he literally felt his blood run cold, as no way could this sound be attributed to any settling or shifting building noise. It sounded like someone or something was running up and down between the rows of cabinets and hitting them with a something metal.

Now these cabinets were only 4 foot high so if there was someone there he'd have been able to see them... unless they were a midget or a child... or were bending down in order to stay out of sight...

The sound got so loud that Paul closed down his PC and was getting ready to leg it - no way was he going to investigate - when the sound abruptly ceased.

Then, in the sudden silence, a figure rose up from behind the front row of filing cabinets.

At this point Paul tells me that he felt the most scared he had ever been in his entire life. He literally could not move.

This figure appeared to be the outline of a man - totally black, like a shadow come to life. Paul coud only see the torso, head and shoulders as it was behind the filing cabinets, but as he watched it walked forwards THROUGH THE CABINETS and marched down the office towards him.

Paul couldn't even scream as the spectre drew nearer. It was very definitely the outline of a man, with striding legs, swinging arms and an odd, oval shaped head. And as it came nearer to Paul, he noticed the weirdest thing of all about the apparation. He noticed that it wasn't solid at all.

It was made out of tiny black spheres about the size of a marble, arranged in the three-dimensional shape of a man.

Paul remembers seeing the hand of this shape, the fingers opening and closing as it marched closer and closer, the fingers made of individual black marbles...

It was coming straight for him but he could not move. And, as it passed by him, it paused - AND TURNED TO LOOK AT HIM with its blank, oval head. As though it had just noticed him.

At that point Paul broke and ran blindly from the room, screaming his lungs out. He can't remember much about the next few minutes but the security guards accosted him running through the foyer crying and shouting.

He refused to go back to the room, in fact refused to go back into the building, and lost the contract.

He told people what he had seen but no-one else ever saw or heard anything unusual happen in that building.

The archaelogical dig was a false alarm, they never found a second Minerva temple, instead all they found was remnants of a Roman gladius (sword).

The b3ta Question of the Week (QOTW) archives have whole lists of accounts of spookiness and are well worth a look.
It's sad how b3ta has been ruined by trolls. It could have been the British Reddit.

Also this, from one of our Ghosts threads -

One night in October she was in bed, wearing her eye mask (don't ask) and listening to music on headphones. She'd only been lying down a couple of minutes when she felt something heavy land on the bed.

Sitting up, she removed the mask to see a girl, who vaguely resembled Sarah's sisters, sitting on the end of the bed. Presently the girl gave her a "really weird, spooky smile" at which point Sarah screamed for her mother.

The girl then slowly "unravelled like an orange peel" from the head down and started to "look a bit like my father" before evaporating completely. Sarah spent the subsequent two months sleeping with the light on.

It's an image seen quite often in art and arty photography.

Here's Escher's original and much-copied version.

aaaaaaaaescher heads.jpg

Last edited:
The b3ta Question of the Week (QOTW) archives have whole lists of accounts of spookiness and are well worth a look.
It's sad how b3ta has been ruined by trolls. It could have been the British Reddit.
Yep, I heartily agree. I genuinely used to look forward to seeing the b3ta newsletter appear in my inbox, precisely because it heralded a new crop of QOTW stories. And then the idiots ruined it.

On a different tack, and I can only apologise for the vagueness of the following description, there was a story on here (although it might have been b3ta QOTW) about a woman who somehow came into possession of a suitcase (?) belonging to a dead man. She described seeing apparitions of the erstwhile owner once or twice, and that he appeared to be a middle-aged man of a pleasant demeanour. But then she posted that she suddenly recalled a memory of seeing this same chap, but with quite a different attitude - I think he was coming towards her with hands outstretched as though to strangle her. In my memory, her posts abruptly stopped at that point, which just adds to the eerie memory I have of the account. Even with those few, fuzzy details, I've got chills down my spine. Can anyone remember/relocate the thread in question?

Yep, I heartily agree. I genuinely used to look forward to seeing the b3ta newsletter appear in my inbox, precisely because it heralded a new crop of QOTW stories. And then the idiots ruined it.

On a different tack, and I can only apologise for the vagueness of the following description, there was a story on here (although it might have been b3ta QOTW) about a woman who somehow came into possession of a suitcase (?) belonging to a dead man. She described seeing apparitions of the erstwhile owner once or twice, and that he appeared to be a middle-aged man of a pleasant demeanour. But then she posted that she suddenly recalled a memory of seeing this same chap, but with quite a different attitude - I think he was coming towards her with hands outstretched as though to strangle her. In my memory, her posts abruptly stopped at that point, which just adds to the eerie memory I have of the account. Even with those few, fuzzy details, I've got chills down my spine. Can anyone remember/relocate the thread in question?

That suitcase thread rings no bells with me, sadly. I don't know everything though!

It sounds like a good read! b3ta QOTW doesn't have that narrative format so it's either from here or I dunno, maybe maybe Reddit?

Presently the girl gave her a "really weird, spooky smile" at which point Sarah screamed for her mother.

I get the 'weird spooky smile' from people when I am lucid dreaming and challenge them. I've had it a few times, I dream, know I am dreaming and say to the characters inhabiting my dream 'none of this is real, I am dreaming', and I get that very odd smile that I've never seen from a person in waking life. Which leads me to believe it's some kind of archetype that the brain throws up in certain circumstances. It's been recorded in instances of 'Road Ghosts' too, that weird smile, which makes me wonder if they aren't also some kind of 'waking sleep image'.

I'm curious : how a girl that is unravelling like an orange peel can look like her father...?

The bit I've put on here is an extract from a longer post with a bit of back story about the girl who sees the orange peel girl. Her father has recently died.

I only actually remember becoming frightened when I saw that what I believed to be a solid human being, was in fact disappearing from the feet up and even then he was still smiling at me. Up until that point, there was absolutely nothing about this actual being that was scary in any way at all. I was puzzled initially (as was my boss) at how he had managed to leave the premises without being either seen or heard and on the second visit, I was totally confused at what had caused the papers to blow from the counter, but other than that there was no negative feelings at all about this gentleman. So in answer to your questions, I think it was the realisation that something 'not quite normal' was taking place and it was that which scared me rather than the gent himself.

I still have no idea what we, the boss and I together or I alone, experienced in those two days. If we did create it in some way, which is totally possible I suppose, then I have no idea how it was done, nor have I any idea how my boss could see the same thing as I could see on the first visit if only I created it. :):)

Well, this is a pretty far out idea, but if we’re going to accept that this was a paranormal event, then I get the feeling he was some sort of time traveller or being from another dimension as opposed to a regular spook.

I dunno, it made me think of that 80’s series where those 2 guys kept jumping through time (US). I can’t recall the name now.

Well, this is a pretty far out idea, but if we’re going to accept that this was a paranormal event, then I get the feeling he was some sort of time traveller or being from another dimension as opposed to a regular spook.

I dunno, it made me think of that 80’s series where those 2 guys kept jumping through time (US). I can’t recall the name now.

Was Quantum Leap the one you were thinking of? I have never considered a time traveller so that is an interesting idea :) Not knowing much about the paranormal at that age, I just put it down to some type of spirit visitor - perhaps it was something else after all. :D

Was Quantum Leap the one you were thinking of? I have never considered a time traveller so that is an interesting idea :) Not knowing much about the paranormal at that age, I just put it down to some type of spirit visitor - perhaps it was something else after all. :D
Yes that was the one!

Agree with others saying time traveler or a being from another dimension. Ghosts people can see usually behaves in same way all the time, like a stone tape recording. Ghosts which are invisible are more conscious can often do mischiefs and stuff to attract attention. Ghosts which are both visible and can behave in an independent way are more rare. Haven't seen a ghost myself, this is just an observation from watching all those ghost hunter series on TV.
Your "apparition" is in addition made out of full physical body(for a while).

Agree with others saying time traveler or a being from another dimension. Ghosts people can see usually behaves in same way all the time, like a stone tape recording. Ghosts which are invisible are more conscious can often do mischiefs and stuff to attract attention. Ghosts which are both visible and can behave in an independent way are more rare. Haven't seen a ghost myself, this is just an observation from watching all those ghost hunter series on TV.
Your "apparition" is in addition made out of full physical body(for a while).

I quite agree that ghosts tend to follow the same path/repeat the same action each time they are visible and that they are just an echo or replay from some point in the past, however and this is probably just my belief, I believe a spirit to be a different entity from a ghost. I believe a spirit can interact with it's enviroment and does not just follow the same repeated path/action. That said I am not against the idea that, in this instance, I may have witnessed some sort of time travelling energy. :):)

Here's another apparition disappearing in a strange way, again from a FTMB Ghost thread:

The phone rang, I said I would get it, and ran up the short flight of steps to the main level. While I was talking, I saw a girl my age coming towards me in what I thought was a yellow nightgown with a pink ribbon. The words "I said I would get it." came out of my mouth as I saw this girl run by me as though in slow motion toward the back door, her hair bouncing behind her. She appeared to turn into misty water droplets as she disappeared into the door. It was an odd but unfrightening moment.

aaand another -

I awoke and to see whay can only be described a young man sitting on the floor his back against the wall, his face was just about a foot higher than mine. He had blonde hair, appeared to be wearing wire rimmed glasses and a frilly white shirt.

My first assumption was that someone had broken in and had had too much free drink and collapsed beside my bed thus waking me, so I threw back the bedclothes and in the returning motion punched the "person" in the face.

Instead of hitting something solid, my hand appeared to slow down and just gently touch the wall. As I drew back my hand the "person" slowly turned to look at me and gently shimmered away like the ripples you get on a pond having thrown a stone in.

aaand another -

I awoke and to see whay can only be described a young man sitting on the floor his back against the wall, his face was just about a foot higher than mine. He had blonde hair, appeared to be wearing wire rimmed glasses and a frilly white shirt.

My first assumption was that someone had broken in and had had too much free drink and collapsed beside my bed thus waking me, so I threw back the bedclothes and in the returning motion punched the "person" in the face.

Instead of hitting something solid, my hand appeared to slow down and just gently touch the wall. As I drew back my hand the "person" slowly turned to look at me and gently shimmered away like the ripples you get on a pond having thrown a stone in.

That's another sensation from dreams - the inability to actually 'punch'. Have had numerous dreams in which I'm fighting someone (usually my ex) and I physically cannot cause him any real harm, even if I grab and twist his face or try to hit him, it's just all too slow motion.

Maybe there's a really interesting topic for investigation here, in the 'waking dreams' line? So not sleep paralysis but something similar where dreams and real life are intersecting.

Back