• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Spontaneous Teatowel Combustion

gattino

Justified & Ancient
My brother lives here and last night about 1am there was a knock on the door. Who the ****?

Neighbours walking their dog (already a suspicious tale you might think) reporting there was a fire in his car parked outside the house. What?!

Within minutes the thing was ablaze. A fireball ready to explode had the fire brigade been any later. It's now a burnt out husk. Much like myself.

Cars going mysteriously on fire are not unheard of round here, what with the insurance coming in handy. But his car only cost a couple of hundred quid, he'd not been near it in several hours and was dead asleep so couldn't have left a ciggie burning, and the neighbours reported there were no cracks or openings in the windows for someone to drop something in.

Do you own a restaurant? asked the firemen. Yes, a cafe. And did you have teatowels in the car? He'd taken them to the laundry that very evening and left them in a bag in the front seat. "Yeah, seen it before" they said "its the static build up in the teatowels causes them to ignite"

You what? How is that possible. I looked it up this morning and sure enough.. http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24 ... 62,00.html

This similar story explains the science behind it. But can anyone remind which recent edition of FT included an article on the "mystery" of how certain things ignited. I remember reading it but not in which issue.

Interesting!

Reminds me of the Spontaneous Taxi Combustion case

forteantimes.com/forum/view ... hp?t=34877
Link is obsolete. The current link is:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/spontaneous-taxi-combustion.34877/

(Although the taxi manufacturers seemed to have got to the bottom of the problem, I don't think the full details have come out into the public domain yet.)

As for tea-towels...

If I'm cooking up a big saucepan of food, I sometimes turn the heat off and cover the pan with one or more tea-towels as insulation, and leave the food to 'slow-cook'. This saves power, as the food and hob retain their temperature for quite a while.

But if a tea-towel happens to be touching the hob.... Oops! :oops:

One time this happened I was alerted to the situation when my smoke alarm went off - there had been no flames or any smell of burning, but the tea-towel was a charred wreck!

Now it seems to me that tea-towels should carry a government health warning - DANGER! Highly Inflammable!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ronson8 said:
I generally find that pan lids are a far safer option. :)
The tea-towels go over the pan lids! (Sort of like loft insulation...)

I may be a safety hazard, but I'm very Green!

We use tea towels on our tiled counters to spare both the grout (I hate scrubbing grout) and the costs (monetary and environmental) of using paper towels.

But if they're fond of combusting... :shock:

I think you have to have a lot of freshly tumble-dried ones together to be a danger, by the sound of it.

Haystacks sometimes spontaneously combust. It's a problem well-known to farmers and fire brigades at certain times of the year.

In times to come, the dangers of spontaneous teatowel combustion too will have entered occupational folklore.

Old chefs will sit around the dying embers of a great log fire, recalling the great Coach House Grill blaze of '99 - fair burned out Jason's new Mondeo, that did...

...and with the memory of that dreadful night, will stare silently into the cooling hearth...

Not to mention the danger of listening to the Archers. The Omnibus edition is particularly dangerous.... ;)

Back